Father Chad Ripperger

Augustus_Principe

Woodpecker
@Roosh , you tweeted this over a year or so ago, correct? I believe you also showed it on your Roosh hour vid.

This video (first Fr ripperger video I watched or any video by a priest for that matter) had a big impact on me and helped me return to the Catholic Church. I was on a Fr ripperger binge for a while, stopping mid 2020. He’ll pop up once in a while on my YouTube feed. Seems I have to catch up on his newer stuff.

J.E.

Robin
My make-up, being a cradle (and fallen away, then returned) Roman Catholic and having read several armfuls of Thomistic writings - Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange chief among them - probably disposes me to appreciate and thrive on Fr. Ripperger's detailed, whole-man approach.

I'd be curious to know exactly what about it doesn't resonate with you.
I cannot speak for Roosh here, but what I dislike about it is not going in-depth about something per se, it is the modernized and despiritualized and anti-metaphysical language that is used to describe physical as well as psychological phenomena. It is the Catholic Church's way being up-to-date and hip with the "science" crowd. I cringe everytime a clergyman talks like this because he is playing into the hands of modernism instead of fighting against it, and they don't realize it. The Orthodox clergy seems to understand this better because their language has a greater metaphysical understanding to it. There are great clergymen in the RCC like Bishop Richard Williamson, who speaks way different and more appealing than someone like Fr Chad Ripperger. Not to say that Fr Chad Ripperger is bad, but from the way he talks he seems more like a product of his times than someone who articulates his thoughts in a traditional and metaphysical way.

DeFide

Robin
I cannot speak for Roosh here, but what I dislike about it is not going in-depth about something per se, it is the modernized and despiritualized and anti-metaphysical language that is used to describe physical as well as psychological phenomena. It is the Catholic Church's way being up-to-date and hip with the "science" crowd. I cringe everytime a clergyman talks like this because he is playing into the hands of modernism instead of fighting against it, and they don't realize it. The Orthodox clergy seems to understand this better because their language has a greater metaphysical understanding to it. There are great clergymen in the RCC like Bishop Richard Williamson, who speaks way different and more appealing than someone like Fr Chad Ripperger. Not to say that Fr Chad Ripperger is bad, but from the way he talks he seems more like a product of his times than someone who articulates his thoughts in a traditional and metaphysical way.
Listen to some of Bp. Sanborn’s vids I posted earlier in the thread. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

DeFide

Robin
Ripperger sounds like a product of the Vatican II NuChurch of which he is a part. I don’t doubt that he is personally good intentioned, but pseudo-trad clerics like him are inherently compromised, because their whole purpose is to keep traditional minded Catholics in the Bergoglian Counterfeit Church. That’s why orders like FSSP and ICKSP were started and why diocesan“indult” Latin Masses and Motu Masses are allowed to exist. This is a historical fact.

Augustus_Principe

Woodpecker
Ripperger sounds like a product of the Vatican II NuChurch of which he is a part. I don’t doubt that he is personally good intentioned, but pseudo-trad clerics like him are inherently compromised, because their whole purpose is to keep traditional minded Catholics in the Bergoglian Counterfeit Church. That’s why orders like FSSP and ICKSP were started and why diocesan“indult” Latin Masses and Motu Masses are allowed to exist. This is a historical fact.

So is it preferable for the TLM to be exclusive to Sedes and SSPX? I attend an SSPX church, which i'm sure you will say doesnt go far enough as you are sede. I've attended an FSSP church while on vacation and the people were very traditional...I'm not sure what sedes imagine in their heads, actually, i'm not sure why i'm responding and this will be futile.

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
it is the modernized and despiritualized and anti-metaphysical language that is used to describe physical as well as psychological phenomena.
First, let me say that I do have issues with Fr. Ripperger's style, and modernized (vs. modernist) is a good way to describe it. One example is the sucking up to women, especially after he's instructed them in their duties, which we all know is harsh on the ears of western women: so he applies a salve; "yeah, men are stupid, but don't say that to your husband" kind of remarks undercut the points he's just tried to impress on them.

As for the despiritualized language, not all things with man are of the spirit. When we rise on the last day it will be in a physical, albeit glorified, body. Man is both form and matter (and will be so into eternity), and some times you have to talk about the matter. A good deal of legitimate headway has been in our understanding of the physical mechanisms that effect us, and I think they're worth exploring through a Catholic lens. So the language is going to be despiritualized - I think that's a valid term - but I don't think you can call it anti-metaphysical, because he's simply not describing metaphysical things; oftentimes, I do hear him link the physical back to the metaphysical.

In sum, I think he ranges from good to very good, and he does tackle some topics that haven't been touched on by most people who should be speaking about them. I can very much understand that his modernized style can be a little grating to traditional-minded ears; it is to mine. On the other hand, this is a man who goes to battle with demons on a regular basis, so there is that to throw in the mix in evaluating whether to cut him slack in that area.

Ripperger sounds like a product of the Vatican II NuChurch of which he is a part.
I wonder in 200 or 300 years from now (if the end hasn't come), how all this will be have been resolved - if in fact it is by then. How will God have this shake out? One would hope that truth triumphs over lies, but sometimes he does let things run the course they are on, which doesn't bode well. Will Fr. Ripperger be looked at then as a voice of sanity trying to pull the Church back on course? As someone who didn't do nearly enough? Forgotten?

So is it preferable for the TLM to be exclusive to Sedes and SSPX?
I don't think so. I do have a great deal of empathy for Sedevacantists: you can only be beaten about the head so many times by what are supposed to be your spiritual fathers before you say enough and refuse to acknowledge them as such. I go to an SSPX chapel; my hope is that a true Return to Tradition spirit takes hold of the Novus Ordo church first and that it runs willingly back to the Mass of Ages, leaving all the baggage and errors at the station.

Any kind of large-scale "mash-up" of the Novus Ordo and the Tridentine Mass - which, by the way, to my horror, I have seen - would be beyond the pale. In that respect I think the Novus Ordo mass was a mercy, as they could have just kept monkeying with the Traditional Mass degree by degree. My greatest fear with the Traditional Mass spreading through the Novus Ordo Church without, first, a change of heart, is some bastardized Tridentine Mass taking hold.

J.E.

Robin
but I don't think you can call it anti-metaphysical, because he's simply not describing metaphysical things; oftentimes, I do hear him link the physical back to the metaphysical.
He (and a lot of other priests) use material and contemporary language to describe the metaphysical, as if it is a scientific observation. As cliché as it sounds, but the metaphysical is something you feel and experience, it is a great dishonor to use technical terms to describe it. Catholic clergy is too hung up on "reason" which makes something beautiful, depending who you talk to, sterile or ugly. Not to say Fr Ripperger's actual content is bad, it is the language that is being used, and it is less so a problem with him specifically rather with the Catholic clergy in general.

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
the metaphysical is something you feel and experience, it is a great dishonor to use technical terms to describe it. Catholic clergy is too hung up on "reason"
I'm trying to think of a polite way to put this, but I can't: you've got it completely bass akwards. I truly am not trying to offend you, so please stick with me for just a minute or two; you do have a point to make, but it's not the one you've written.

Metaphysics is absolutely not something we feel and only partly what we experience; rather, it takes what we apprehend with our senses (our experience) and harmonizes it with our reason to arrive at truth, and thus reality. Feelings do not enter into that process at all; they can be an object of metaphysical discussion (why did I feel sad when my dog died?), but it is not part of the metaphysical inquiry.

Our feelings - or as theologians and philosophers (both of whom employ metaphysics) would refer to them, our passions - are much more tied to our physical being, and hence, are a lower part of the soul residing in the sensory appetite. Reason resides in a much higher part of the soul and must rule over our passions or we will be ruled by them and led into sin.

Our feelings or passions are also very subjective. Reason is the attempt to be objective, to put our emotions aside, and to discern the truth regardless of how we feel. Now, apprehending the truth is pleasing to our minds, and we call the experience of that pleasure beauty, and beautiful things can make us "feel good". But do you see how that works? Beauty is apprehended by our reason and filters down to our passions. If it goes the other way - from our passions up to, and overriding, our reason, that is when man can be said to be acting like an animal.

Now all this I just described was rejected by the Protestant Revolt. Luther is said to have laughed as he burned the Summa. Reason was removed from it's throne, replaced by enthusiasm (part of our passions), and when you have that condition, you get what we've gotten for 500+ years: revolution after revolution as each new wave of enthusiasm takes hold. Human beings living by their feelings and using subjective standards of experience instead of holding them up to reason is how we got Joe Biden in the Oval Office and a tranny HHS secretary. Well, that, and a whole lot of cheating, but I digress...

So I say this in a brotherly way to help you along and not condescendingly: you do have your idea about what metaphysics is and does confused. You can make your argument from another hill - that he's boring, stiff, dry, etc. - but Fr. Ripperger is most definitely using metaphysics properly, I can assure you.

Last edited:

DeFide

Robin
So is it preferable for the TLM to be exclusive to Sedes and SSPX? I attend an SSPX church, which i'm sure you will say doesnt go far enough as you are sede. I've attended an FSSP church while on vacation and the people were very traditional...I'm not sure what sedes imagine in their heads, actually, i'm not sure why i'm responding and this will be futile.
Many Traditional Catholics who are sedevacantists have no problem attending Masses offered by priests of the Society of St. Pius X since these Masses are usually valid. I personally would not do so because I think it is an objective mortal sin to attend “una cum” Masses offered in union with Bergoglio and the false hierarchy.

As for the FSSP, you mentioned “the people were very traditional”. My response to that is: What’s that got to do with the price of tea in China? The FSSP receive their ordinations Novus Ordo “bishops” who were ordained using the 1968 New Rite of Episcopal Consecration introduced by Paul VI. You can read all about why this rite is objectively invalid and does not confer the sacrament of episcopal orders here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Therefore, the “bishops” who ordain for the FSSP are not real bishops; therefore FSSP “priests” are not real, validly ordained priests. Therefore, their “Masses” are invalid. Period. By the way, even many Traditional Catholics who are not sedevacantists, especially most old-school SSPX goers, acknowledge that the Novus Ordo Church’s ordinations are invalid or at least doubtful, and will not approach them for the Sacraments for that reason. This is a separate issue from the question of sedevacantism or the una cum vs. non una cum thing.

DeFide

Robin
I don't think so. I do have a great deal of empathy for Sedevacantists: you can only be beaten about the head so many times by what are supposed to be your spiritual fathers before you say enough and refuse to acknowledge them as such. I go to an SSPX chapel; my hope is that a true Return to Tradition spirit takes hold of the Novus Ordo church first and that it runs willingly back to the Mass of Ages, leaving all the baggage and errors at the station.

Any kind of large-scale "mash-up" of the Novus Ordo and the Tridentine Mass - which, by the way, to my horror, I have seen - would be beyond the pale. In that respect I think the Novus Ordo mass was a mercy, as they could have just kept monkeying with the Traditional Mass degree by degree. My greatest fear with the Traditional Mass spreading through the Novus Ordo Church without, first, a change of heart, is some bastardized Tridentine Mass taking hold.
Have you ever listened to the “Motu Mass Trap” sermon of Fr. Cekada’s (RIP)? I ask if you’ve ever heard it because it seems to have become one of his more famous and widely known sermons on the internet. It’s hard to listen to in hindsight and NOT see the wisdom of Fr. Cekada and how his predictions about the “Motu Proprio” have basically come true.
I was NOT a sedevacantist when the “Motu Proprio” was issued in 2007(?) and I thought it was a wonderful development at the time that was going to bring about a “Restoration” of the Church to Tradition. In reality, looking back on it now, the biggest change that resulted from the 2007 Motu Proprio is more confusion and a widespread explosion in the amount of invalid TLM’s that are now being offered by Novus Ordo non-priests.

J.E.

Robin
I'm trying to think of a polite way to put this, but I can't: you've got it completely bass akwards. I truly am not trying to offend you, so please stick with me for just a minute or two; you do have a point to make, but it's not the one you've written.
Our feelings - or as theologians and philosophers (both of whom employ metaphysics) would refer to them, our passions - are much more tied to our physical being, and hence, are a lower part of the soul residing in the sensory appetite. Reason resides in a much higher part of the soul and must rule over our passions or we will be ruled by them and led into sin.
So I say this in a brotherly way to help you along and not condescendingly: you do have your idea about what metaphysics is and does confused. You can make your argument from another hill - that he's boring, stiff, dry, etc. - but Fr. Ripperger is most definitely using metaphysics properly, I can assure you.
You confuse my take with a feel-good Protestant, and you also confuse emotion or feeling with passion. Passion is the shadow side to feelings but not the whole spectrum, that's where you are wrong. We feel with our gut and heart and these emotions are not subjective as long as you are not emotionally disturbed, meaning you are attuned to your surroundings and have the finesse to interpret emotional signals properly. You cannot think yourself into the metaphysical, you cannot become but you already are who you are and sin disconnects us from the godly spirit that dwells within us.

This is a whole different debate and derails the thread but when I am free to create a thread and am better versed into the whole understanding of metaphysics we can discuss more.

I will close with saying that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the only pillars that have some of the genuine ancient traditions left but somehwere in the past centuries the Western Church forgot its proper understanding of metaphysics and tradition which led to the catastrophies we have today. But this is a time we cannot do anything about, it has to come and there is nothing, no matter how much we withstand, we can do about and it will take its course; this dark age we're born into and destined to live in was destined to be and has to take its natural course.

PS: If you listen to Bishop Richard Williamson, for example, or even E. Michael Jones, they have a more balanced and eternal manner of speech.
PPS: Don't put words into my mouth - I said Fr Ripperger is good, I only dislike his neo-academic language, which is a minor critique in itself.

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
You confuse my take with a feel-good Protestant, and you also confuse emotion or feeling with passion. Passion is the shadow side to feelings but not the whole spectrum, that's where you are wrong. We feel with our gut and heart and these emotions are not subjective as long as you are not emotionally disturbed, meaning you are attuned to your surroundings and have the finesse to interpret emotional signals properly. You cannot think yourself into the metaphysical, you cannot become but you already are who you are and sin disconnects us from the godly spirit that dwells within us.

This is a whole different debate and derails the thread but when I am free to create a thread and am better versed into the whole understanding of metaphysics we can discuss more.

I will close with saying that Catholicism and Orthodoxy are the only pillars that have some of the genuine ancient traditions left but somehwere in the past centuries the Western Church forgot its proper understanding of metaphysics and tradition which led to the catastrophies we have today. But this is a time we cannot do anything about, it has to come and there is nothing, no matter how much we withstand, we can do about and it will take its course; this dark age we're born into and destined to live in was destined to be and has to take its natural course.

PS: If you listen to Bishop Richard Williamson, for example, or even E. Michael Jones, they have a more balanced and eternal manner of speech.
PPS: Don't put words into my mouth - I said Fr Ripperger is good, I only dislike his neo-academic language, which is a minor critique in itself.
Metaphysics is the study of reality. It is a science. It is the starting point of all knowledge. Both Eastern and Western Catholicism would agree with that definition. What you're describing sounds more like mysticism.

You say Ripperger 'sounds like....'. You are making the basic beginner error of judging the spiritual by the sensible.

Ripperger is teaching Thomistic Rational Psychology, from the 13th Century.

The idea is to move the Will by informing it with Reason, and this union, together, leads you to God.

If you're less academically-gifted, this process happens after the Passive Purifications begin, assuming you successfully transition into Contemplation, in which case the Holy Spirit will directly inform Reason via the Intuitive Intellect during Contemplation, which then moves the Will, meaning the uneducated can know the deep truths of the faith in agreement with the teachings of the Church, without Human Instruction. The general rule of thumb used to be that this should be happening five years after the first conversion, though this assumes the soul isn't placing its own will and attachments in the way of the Purifying Desire of God. God will trial you to see if you abandon all for him. If you won't, He respects free will and will leave you exactly where you are. The gate is narrow.

In Thomism, the truths are laid out somewhat academically and methodically, and all of the Thomists, including greats like Fr Arintero, Fr Garrigou-Lagrange, Fr Jordan Aumaan, (and having read 900 pages of Ripperger's book on Mental Health, I would include him here), all understand that the dryness of describing the spiritual in these academic terms makes it a weaker form of communication, but that it still has an important function in the church.

In a recent conversation I was having with a Priest, I mentioned the obvious weaknesses in an academic paper, and, that I would prefer to use metaphor and parable to communicate the teachings, and wanted to start again from scratch.

I pointed out something my attention had fixed upon in Arintero's 'The Mystical Evolution in the Development and Vitality of the Church':

This is the reason for the scant interest the supernatural arouses when it is presented in cold and abstract formulas. On the other hand, although the animated and vibrant expressions of scripture and of the saints who felt these things very keenly, are lacking in precision, yet they inflame all the fibres of the soul. The more unscientific and ambiguous the expressions, the more lofty the idea which they give us of those incomprehensible realities which transcend all formulas and even our most sublime concepts.

His reply:

Excellent, couldn’t agree more.

That is why Franciscan mysticism has trumped Dominican rationality.

Why the charismatic is ahead of the hierarchic.

The imagination prior to invention.

The intuitive beyond the logical.

Fiction greater than fact.

“The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing ... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal

CCC 1770: Moral perfection consists in man's being moved to the good not by his will alone, but also by his sensitive appetite, as in the words of the psalm: "My heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God."

All the same, while all knowledge comes through the senses, if we stay there, we will act as persons prior to the age of reason.

Do as you suggest. Go for it.

Note when he says "If we stay there..." He is directly speaking about the transition into Contemplation, where knowledge starts coming through the Intuitive Intellect. The soul has to grow beyond 'feeling'. This is what St Paul means when he talks about 'the spiritual man' in Corinthians. He doesn't mean someone who has just been converted and now thinks he is holy and knows how to love his neighbour in, as Garrigou-Lagrange would say, 'so horrifies our Lord by our corrupted, limited human conception of love.' This is where, post conversion, people often work themselves into furies of Furious Legalism and Obnoxious Evangelization, missing the required Inward Conversion of Heart completely.

So, to summarize:

Thomism won't appeal to Sensible Souls (Feeling), but it's the Truth (Both Infused and Innate Knowledge). Meaning, if you listen to Ripperger, and put into practice his suggestions, you will see genuine spiritual change and integration into mental stability, as all dysfunction originates from believing what is False about oneself, such as "I'm now coverted and I am now a Good Person". No, no-one is a good person: you are simply a slightly-lesser degree of Evil than the Sinner, and you own nothing of what goodness you believe you possess, and have no claim to crow about it. It's by God's grace you are slightly-less evil.

This allegiance to the false is why the Left and Right of the Political Spectrum are both collapsing into mental dysfunction, and so many people on the Right assume the wounds of The Flesh are the machinations of The Devil.

Since I'm both Studying Thomism, and have been graced with Mysticism, I can see I can synthesize both viewpoints: meaning, when I read Ripperger, I recognized, over and over, truths that I had learnt during Contemplation.

If anyone is starting out on the journey, I'd recommend Volume One of 'The Three Ages of the Interior Life' by Garrigou-Lagrange. It's about 800 pages. Any Seminary Library will have it: ask your Priest. Volume Two is for when you are in Contemplation. It will teach you exactly what conduct to engage in and what practices to enact in these early stages to pass through the Purgative trials and be grace by God by the Second Conversion.

If you're a less academic-minded soul, and of a Sensible Disposition, read 'The Story of a Soul' by St Therese of Lisieux, Universal Doctor of the Church. Put her 'Little Way' into action.

God bless.

DeFide

Robin
I
You say Ripperger 'sounds like....'. You are making the basic beginner error of judging the spiritual by the sensible.

Ripperger is teaching Thomistic Rational Psychology, from the 13th Century.

The idea is to move the Will by informing it with Reason, and this union, together, leads you to God.

If you're less academically-gifted, this process happens after the Passive Purifications begin, assuming you successfully transition into Contemplation, in which case the Holy Spirit will directly inform Reason via the Intuitive Intellect during Contemplation, which then moves the Will, meaning the uneducated can know the deep truths of the faith in agreement with the teachings of the Church, without Human Instruction. The general rule of thumb used to be that this should be happening five years after the first conversion, though this assumes the soul isn't placing its own will and attachments in the way of the Purifying Desire of God. God will trial you to see if you abandon all for him. If you won't, He respects free will and will leave you exactly where you are. The gate is narrow.

In Thomism, the truths are laid out somewhat academically and methodically, and all of the Thomists, including greats like Fr Arintero, Fr Garrigou-Lagrange, Fr Jordan Aumaan, (and having read 900 pages of Ripperger's book on Mental Health, I would include him here), all understand that the dryness of describing the spiritual in these academic terms makes it a weaker form of communication, but that it still has an important function in the church.

In a recent conversation I was having with a Priest, I mentioned the obvious weaknesses in an academic paper, and, that I would prefer to use metaphor and parable to communicate the teachings, and wanted to start again from scratch.

I pointed out something my attention had fixed upon in Arintero's 'The Mystical Evolution in the Development and Vitality of the Church':

This is the reason for the scant interest the supernatural arouses when it is presented in cold and abstract formulas. On the other hand, although the animated and vibrant expressions of scripture and of the saints who felt these things very keenly, are lacking in precision, yet they inflame all the fibres of the soul. The more unscientific and ambiguous the expressions, the more lofty the idea which they give us of those incomprehensible realities which transcend all formulas and even our most sublime concepts.

His reply:

Excellent, couldn’t agree more.

That is why Franciscan mysticism has trumped Dominican rationality.

Why the charismatic is ahead of the hierarchic.

The imagination prior to invention.

The intuitive beyond the logical.

Fiction greater than fact.

“The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing ... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart." - Blaise Pascal

CCC 1770: Moral perfection consists in man's being moved to the good not by his will alone, but also by his sensitive appetite, as in the words of the psalm: "My heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God."

All the same, while all knowledge comes through the senses, if we stay there, we will act as persons prior to the age of reason.

Do as you suggest. Go for it.

Note when he says "If we stay there..." He is directly speaking about the transition into Contemplation, where knowledge starts coming through the Intuitive Intellect. The soul has to grow beyond 'feeling'. This is what St Paul means when he talks about 'the spiritual man' in Corinthians. He doesn't mean someone who has just been converted and now thinks he is holy and knows how to love his neighbour in, as Garrigou-Lagrange would say, 'so horrifies our Lord by our corrupted, limited human conception of love.' This is where, post conversion, people often work themselves into furies of Furious Legalism and Obnoxious Evangelization, missing the required Inward Conversion of Heart completely.

So, to summarize:

Thomism won't appeal to Sensible Souls (Feeling), but it's the Truth (Both Infused and Innate Knowledge). Meaning, if you listen to Ripperger, and put into practice his suggestions, you will see genuine spiritual change and integration into mental stability, as all dysfunction originates from believing what is False about oneself, such as "I'm now coverted and I am now a Good Person". No, no-one is a good person: you are simply a slightly-lesser degree of Evil than the Sinner, and you own nothing of what goodness you believe you possess, and have no claim to crow about it. It's by God's grace you are slightly-less evil.

This allegiance to the false is why the Left and Right of the Political Spectrum are both collapsing into mental dysfunction, and so many people on the Right assume the wounds of The Flesh are the machinations of The Devil.

Since I'm both Studying Thomism, and have been graced with Mysticism, I can see I can synthesize both viewpoints: meaning, when I read Ripperger, I recognized, over and over, truths that I had learnt during Contemplation.

If anyone is starting out on the journey, I'd recommend Volume One of 'The Three Ages of the Interior Life' by Garrigou-Lagrange. It's about 800 pages. Any Seminary Library will have it: ask your Priest. Volume Two is for when you are in Contemplation. It will teach you exactly what conduct to engage in and what practices to enact in these early stages to pass through the Purgative trials and be grace by God by the Second Conversion.

If you're a less academic-minded soul, and of a Sensible Disposition, read 'The Story of a Soul' by St Therese of Lisieux, Universal Doctor of the Church. Put her 'Little Way' into action.

God bless.

You just wasted your time typing al that out. I’m not referring to his Thomism. My problem with Ripperger is that he is part of the “traditional wing” in the Novus Ordo Church and as such, he necessarily tows the party line and refuses to acknowledge the elephant in the room— Vatican II— as the root of all the problems in the Church.

J.E.

Robin
Metaphysics is the study of reality. It is a science. It is the starting point of all knowledge. Both Eastern and Western Catholicism would agree with that definition. What you're describing sounds more like mysticism.
Metaphysics is beyond material reality and beyong what is in our heads. Metaphysics is mystic in its nature because man will never grasp the full extent of the realm beyond. Metaphysics is not a science in the modern sense and cannot be grasped by a technological terminology.

You just wasted your time typing al that out. I’m not referring to his Thomism. My problem with Ripperger is that he is part of the “traditional wing” in the Novus Ordo Church and as such, he necessarily tows the party line and refuses to acknowledge the elephant in the room— Vatican II— as the root of all the problems in the Church.

Oh, this is Duganist site. I'll see myself out.

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
Metaphysics is beyond material reality and beyong what is in our heads. Metaphysics is mystic in its nature because man will never grasp the full extent of the realm beyond. Metaphysics is not a science in the modern sense and cannot be grasped by a technological terminology.
Well, I tried.

The irony is that the definition you are applying to metaphysics is how the moderns have defined it: hocus-pocus subjectivism that can be dismissed with the wave of a hand as the superstitious relic of an earlier time.

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
Oh, this is Duganist site. I'll see myself out.
There's all kinds here. Stick around, you have a lot to contribute.

Satan has struck the shepherd and the flock has been scattered. It's his plan to divide us, and he'll use anything he can. I think most here are trying their best to come to the truth. Let's all show more charity to each other (and I include myself in that admonition), especially in these Catholic threads. High spirited arguing is good, let's just not forget to the will the good of the other man.