Father Josiah Trenham is a pillar of Orthodoxy

DanielH

Woodpecker
I purchased his catechism series and started it today. I listened to part 1 on God and part 14 on Holy Matrimony with my fiancee. I agree with @Roosh that they're surprisingly informative, even after spending a good chunk of my free time for the past two years reading and listening to Orthodox works.

The lecture on Holy matrimony was a real gut punch for me, as I'm preparing for marriage. Us westerners have no idea how low the standard of marriage has fallen. He explicitly states that our standards of marriage have fallen to beneath that of the Jews and Muslims. I've been comparing my conduct to the standard of how a typical pseudo-Christian western engagement is done and have felt pretty good about myself. Now I'm realizing I've got some repenting to do, and marriage will be a lot more difficult than I thought, but it is a salvific process. He reiterates that marriage is not for enjoyment, but for you to have a partner to work with on your mutual salvation. The only difference between monasticism and married life is that a married person has a spouse. Also, your wife is not your number one priority, nor are your children, but God is. And Father Josiah is the perfect man to give this lecture, since he has 10 kids.

Lecture 1 was also great to listen to, the main takeaway for me was that I've been trying to explain God to people the wrong way. Orthodoxy uses apophatic theology, which means that we explain what God isn't, rather than what He is. God is ineffable and infinite, so who am I to explain Him in terms of finite humanity? An ant trying to explain a person in definite terms without ever seeing one is less absurd of a notion.

PainPositive

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've started Father Trenham's 16-hour catechuman series. I thought it would be mostly a review but there's a lot of nuts and bolts I didn't know. I'm enjoying it so far.

Same here. I just started today.

It's a man's hairstyle, and been the standard haircut for priests since Old Testament times. It's true that women in the US cut cut their hair as short as Fr. Josiah's, but that's hardly desirable.

While Orthodox laity usually adapt the local styles (even to the point where some Orthodox men emasculate themselves by shaving), the clothing and hairstyle of the clergy generally remains as it was in the ancient world.
"Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him," 1 Corinthians 11:14 (ESV).

pitbullowner

Pelican
I purchased his catechism series and started it today. I listened to part 1 on God and part 14 on Holy Matrimony with my fiancee. I agree with @Roosh that they're surprisingly informative, even after spending a good chunk of my free time for the past two years reading and listening to Orthodox works.

The lecture on Holy matrimony was a real gut punch for me, as I'm preparing for marriage. Us westerners have no idea how low the standard of marriage has fallen. He explicitly states that our standards of marriage have fallen to beneath that of the Jews and Muslims. I've been comparing my conduct to the standard of how a typical pseudo-Christian western engagement is done and have felt pretty good about myself. Now I'm realizing I've got some repenting to do, and marriage will be a lot more difficult than I thought, but it is a salvific process. He reiterates that marriage is not for enjoyment, but for you to have a partner to work with on your mutual salvation. The only difference between monasticism and married life is that a married person has a spouse. Also, your wife is not your number one priority, nor are your children, but God is. And Father Josiah is the perfect man to give this lecture, since he has 10 kids.

Lecture 1 was also great to listen to, the main takeaway for me was that I've been trying to explain God to people the wrong way. Orthodoxy uses apophatic theology, which means that we explain what God isn't, rather than what He is. God is ineffable and infinite, so who am I to explain Him in terms of finite humanity? An ant trying to explain a person in definite terms without ever seeing one is less absurd of a notion.

Alright going to sink my teeth into this

"Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him," 1 Corinthians 11:14 (ESV).
By long in this passage - taken in the full context - it means wearing your hair long like a woman does - can you or anyone tell me how many inches "long" means?
here is one of the oldest depictions of Jesus:

Does this pass your long hair requirement? Or do you want to destroy it like roundheads did?

And really, you would pass up on Father Trenham's insights because you don't like his hair?
Its interpretations like this that make Baptists and others almost sound talmadic (that's not a compliment Christian Zionists :) )

St. Paul is entirely correct here, and this is one of the reasons that Fr. Josiah has short hair. Long hair, in the Biblical sense, goes all the way down to the waist. Shoulder length hair, like Fr. Josiah's, is short.

I see no reason to judge him by post-WW2 American standards for hair length, rather than Biblical standards.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
Has he had a position on liturgical practice regarding masks (or not) or communion? Or does he actively stay away from those topics publicly and just leave it up to the parishioners attending? I never got a read on this, but I don't follow all of this as closely as you all do. For someone who is fairly outspoken in general, to date I have not recognized a full throttle civil disobedience recommendation coming from Fr. Josiah. If anyone has insight, please share.

Has he had a position on liturgical practice regarding masks (or not) or communion? Or does he actively stay away from those topics publicly and just leave it up to the parishioners attending? I never got a read on this, but I don't follow all of this as closely as you all do. For someone who is fairly outspoken in general, to date I have not recognized a full throttle civil disobedience recommendation coming from Fr. Josiah. If anyone has insight, please share.
His bishop makes the rules, not him. And that bishop is about halfway between corona hysteria, as some archdioceses are in, and completely ignoring all of it, as some others are doing. The bishop acknowledged in a public letter that the government response has more to do with politics than science, and told his priests that they are not to close their Churches regardless of what the government dictates.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
Do you think that the OCA and GOA will be particularly bad with this, MW? That is, will they be passive for years just like you constantly hear is the "recommendation" or shall I say threat, that so many make when they say things like "The masks are never going away."

GOA is apparently on a one-way track to full merger with the “spirit of the world.” It is rotting from the top down with no end in sight - but it’s still a valid Church with valid sacraments, for now, so being baptized and communing there is still a thousand times better than not being Orthodox at all. The power and grace of sacraments does not depend on the purity of the priest in any way, shape, or form; this is what the entire Donatist controversy was about. That said, if you have a choice, any other Archdiocese is likely better in terms of being genuinely traditional in its expression.

I know basically nothing about the OCA but the above still applies: no matter how cucked the clergy or a parish may be, you can still be saved there. If Christ could only work through perfect people, we’d all be in a whole lot of trouble.

Muscovite

Sparrow
He made a video back in April where he says "Physical masks can be helpful, no doubt in containing contagion. I don't doubt that at all.".

His video is worth a watch even though the main topic isn't about physical masks.
I still think he's a pillar of Orthodoxy.