Father Josiah Trenham is a pillar of Orthodoxy

jarlo

Woodpecker
As I've begun my inquiring into Orthodoxy, I've started thinking back to Jordan Peterson, and how he in many ways sounds a bit like the Orthodox when he describes God and his belief in God. I poked around a bit and found out that there's some evidence for that intuition.

Here's Jordan Peterson on Orthodox Christianity:

And here's Father Josiah in March 2019 on Jordan Peterson:

Father Josiah clearly has great respect for Jordan Peterson. In the interview, Father Josiah said he had been speaking to his church for two years about Jordan Peterson, and in 2018, he gave each graduating high schooler and college student a copy of Peterson's book "12 Rules for Life" (citation at 3:10 in the video).

JamesK

Chicken
Trenham is very good in about every subject. Sadly, the Greek archdiocese is entirely compromised by leftists and is refusing to fight even the strictest lockdowns. Terrible precedent.

Novice

Chicken
I'm going over Orthodox internet resources at the moment, and I went to the Orthodox reddit to see what they had to say about Father Josiah. Man, what a disappointment. They're not just left leaning, they're full blown leftist. Saying that he's a right wing extremist who spreads conspiracy theories...

DanielH

Pelican
I'm going over Orthodox internet resources at the moment, and I went to the Orthodox reddit to see what they had to say about Father Josiah. Man, what a disappointment. They're not just left leaning, they're full blown leftist. Saying that he's a right wing extremist who spreads conspiracy theories...
Avoid that place. I don't think some of the mods aren't even Orthodox. Think I got suspended there like two years ago for sharing some St. John Chrysostom quotes. No, the more you read, the more you find that the Church fathers said exactly what Father Josiah is saying right now. They will tell you not to read so and so, while “right wing extremist” Orthodox will tell you to read everything you can - with the exception being reading things clearly too advanced, such as books written for tonsured monastics while a catechumen. Those can still be read with guidance from a spiritual father.

I heard a talk from David TheRealMedWhite who mentioned his evil, actual right wing extremist views that he repented of when he became Orthodox and he mentioned that right wing Orthodox converts will drop their baggage such as racism, while left wing Orthodox converts almost never do the same. You'll see left wing Orthodox converts support abortion and gay marriage.

The Orthodox reddit even thinks that communion can spread disease. That the literal blood and body of Christ will spread disease. My priest was denouncing this notion in the Spring of 2019! No study has ever shown a link to disease and communion.

Muscovite

Robin
I don't like buying from Amazon or Audible, but this is only available there it seems.

Today, Father Josiah Trenham's "Sermons on the Spirtual Life" has been released on Audible. The book version is available on Amazon.

About the book:

St. Philaret of Moscow is the Russian Chrysostom. His mouth overflowed from a heart enlarged and illumined by the Holy Spirit, and his teaching has been a fountain of life to the Christian generations that have succeeded the great bishop.

Here, for the first time in an English-language translation, we have a thematic collection of his sermons dedicated to living the Christian life.

The master pedagogue covers numerous foundational spiritual realities including being born again, building a life upon the foundation of the fear of God, the centrality of gratitude, the cultivation of zeal, the purification of the heart, the nourishing of poverty of spirit, as well as more targeted subjects such as childbearing, work, preparations for prayer, and how to consecrate Sunday to God.

This audiobook contains a feast of faith and soul guidance that, if followed, will bring forth abundant spiritual treasure.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've been listening to Father Josiah's Master Or Slave: Technology in the Christian Life and it's really good. I think some of the insights on medical technology would resonate with @Roosh , and the general perspective would probably be appreciated and helpful for members like @ilostabet who've written a lot on the negative effects of our post-industrial world. I think Father Josiah does a good job of presenting a balanced view of tech, acknowledging its many bad effects and our need to master it as Christians, while also seeing how some of it can be used for good.

PaulC

Robin
Thanks. I was familiar with Father Trenham through YouTube, but hadn't visited the Patristic Nectar site. I have set up an account and also app on my phone. Just purchased the catechism course.

Arasaka

Chicken
I came across his video about the Great Reset when it came out about a month ago. I'll have to watch more of his videos - I hadn't come across your recommendation until now, and will have to revisit the channel.

I don't like buying from Amazon or Audible, but this is only available there it seems.

Today, Father Josiah Trenham's "Sermons on the Spirtual Life" has been released on Audible. The book version is available on Amazon.

About the book:
I ordered this book a few months ago and right after reading it, I started reading it over again from the beginning. St. Philaret's sermons are incredibly powerful and filled with wisdom and guidance. His sermons are easy to comprehend but are incredibly profound and potent with fruit of the spirit. Definitely a book I recommend.

nagareboshi

Sparrow
Love to see public speakers of faith like this, and hope to watch it soon.

People who upload sermons to YouTube and edit out nice clips that are easy to read are certainly doing God's work in this age. It's definitely a blessing, as in the future, one may imagine all such postings are banned ("no religion in the public sphere") or extremely obscure ("here's a nice lecture, but you need to download 3 gigabytes and sift through 2 hours of noisy video")

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
As I've begun my inquiring into Orthodoxy, I've started thinking back to Jordan Peterson, and how he in many ways sounds a bit like the Orthodox when he describes God and his belief in God. I poked around a bit and found out that there's some evidence for that intuition.

Here's Jordan Peterson on Orthodox Christianity:

And here's Father Josiah in March 2019 on Jordan Peterson:

Father Josiah clearly has great respect for Jordan Peterson. In the interview, Father Josiah said he had been speaking to his church for two years about Jordan Peterson, and in 2018, he gave each graduating high schooler and college student a copy of Peterson's book "12 Rules for Life" (citation at 3:10 in the video).

Aren't Jordan Peterson's views on Christianity heretical at best, and blasphemous at worst?

I like Josiah Trenham, and believe he's one of the better Orthodox priests, but it's hard to overlook his support for Peterson, whom I believe has had demonic influences.

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Aren't Jordan Peterson's views on Christianity heretical at best, and blasphemous at worst?

I like Josiah Trenham, and believe he's one of the better Orthodox priests, but it's hard to overlook his support for Peterson, whom I believe has had demonic influences.

There's no problem supporting him from a purely secular perspective, after all, he's not advocating for Jordan Peterson's theology, or religious practices. Dr. Peterson does have a value for explaining the importance of stories/symbolism, which unknowingly shoves people toward Orthodoxy. If Father Trenham unreservedly praises Peterson (I doubt that he does), it's a problem, but this is only a short clip, so you can't really make a judgement on this alone.

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
There's no problem supporting him from a purely secular perspective, after all, he's not advocating for Jordan Peterson's theology, or religious practices. Dr. Peterson does have a value for explaining the importance of stories/symbolism, which unknowingly shoves people toward Orthodoxy. If Father Trenham unreservedly praises Peterson (I doubt that he does), it's a problem, but this is only a short clip, so you can't really make a judgement on this alone.
You might be right. I don't know.

Jordan Peterson has indeed led many to Christ and His Church.

However, how many has he led away from the Church, who would have otherwise embraced the Kingdom of God?

I don't know the answer to this question, but it is an important one that Christians are not asking.

Peterson espouses a New Age theology wrapped in sophistic nonsense. There are good things in Peterson's teachings (eg. 'Clean Your Room'), but they're not particularly insightful. His interpretation of Scripture verges on gnostic heresy, at best, and he's an avowed agnostic who does not believe in the resurrection of Christ.

When it comes to Scripture, and to paraphrase St. Paul, what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Furthermore, it is not my intention to judge Fr. Josiah overall (I enjoy his YouTube channel) -- I am just wondering why Peterson specifically? Why give young men Peterson's poorly conceived 12 Rules for Life, instead of St. John Chrysostom's sermons or the writings of the Desert Fathers?

EDIT. Being good at 'interpreting symbols' is not necessarily a virtuous thing. High-ranking freemasons, after all, are competent at uncovering the hidden meaning of symbols.