Clergy & Monastics Father Josiah Trenham is a pillar of Orthodoxy

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
If you listen to Fr. Trenham's lectures like I do, you'll see that he recommends a lot of secular figures, quoting them often. He does read secular books to keep his pulse on the cultural winds. It's unfortunate that detractors are using one of his recommendations in an attempt to wipe out his whole ministry. I see this as a demonic attack against him.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Jordan Peterson is not just another secular figure; he's a cultural phenomenon. How we as Christians react to such trends tests our faith.

In the case of Peterson, are we Christians willing to ally with a heretic (Peterson), who appears to be a demoniac, just to win a temporal Culture War?

Fr. Trenham's ministry is great, but everyone has his stumbling blocks. I don't think this speaks to Fr. Trenham's ministry, but rather his particular failings in individual discernment. I am of course glad that the father has gained many souls for Christ.

Last edited:

Beaker

Robin
Respectfully, I disagree.

Jordan Peterson is not just another secular figure; he's a cultural phenomenon. How we as Christians react to such trends tests our faith.

In the case of Peterson, are we Christians willing to ally with a heretic (Peterson), who appears to be a demoniac, just to win a temporal Culture War?

Fr. Trenham's ministry is great, but everyone has his stumbling blocks. I don't think this speaks to Fr. Trenham's ministry, but rather his particular failings in individual discernment. I am of course glad that the father has gained many souls for Christ.
https://www.eternitynews.com.au/opinion/why-im-not-a-christian-jordan-peterson/

Peterson basically said that he's not a Christian because he's too weak to live in the Christian way. Of course it's very difficult but that's why it's a worthy pursuit, and the consequences of not striving to be like Christ are many times worse than the pain of trying. He paid the price recently, with his addiction to the drugs that gave him the power trip he craved, instead of humbling himself and having the courage to face his weakness.

It would be great if Trenham talked in depth about this topic, as following in the footsteps of Peterson would derail a lot of Christians.

PainPositive

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
https://www.eternitynews.com.au/opinion/why-im-not-a-christian-jordan-peterson/

Peterson basically said that he's not a Christian because he's too weak to live in the Christian way. Of course it's very difficult but that's why it's a worthy pursuit, and the consequences of not striving to be like Christ are many times worse than the pain of trying. He paid the price recently, with his addiction to the drugs that gave him the power trip he craved, instead of humbling himself and having the courage to face his weakness.

It would be great if Trenham talked in depth about this topic, as following in the footsteps of Peterson would derail a lot of Christians.

I've listened to many of Fr. Trenham's lessons and went through his catechism course. I used to be "very offended" that he liked JP but I don't really care now. If Fr. Trenham thinks his book is useful for young people, then okay. Even if "12 Rules" is poor advice, of all the bad things being pushed on young people today, Peterson's book is probably pretty low on that list. I can't understand how I was so worked up about this before.

Last edited:

Beaker

Robin

I've listened to many of Fr. Trenham's lessons and went through his catechism course. I used to be "very offended" that he liked JP but I don't really care now. If Fr. Trenham thinks his book is useful for young people, then okay. Even if "12 Rules" is poor advice, of all the bad things being pushed on young people today, Peterson's book is probably pretty low on that list. I can't understand how I was so worked up about this before.

Peterson has a new book out now, the media seems to be undecided whether to promote it or not. If people can see him as an example of what not to do then he will not be a negative influence, it all depends on the reader. He has paid the price of what his world view advocates for and is a cautionary tale.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Father Josiah is suing for slander the homosexual webmaster of Orthodoxy in Dialogue, who spends his time going after the strong Orthodox figures. The homosexual is crying that he is "penniless". If anyone sees a fundraiser for Father Josiah's legal costs, please let me know.
On Monday, July 19, 2021, pursuant to a court order allowing service to be effected by email, LiMandri & Jonna LLP of Rancho Santa Fe CA delivered a Summons and Complaint to Orthodoxy in Dialogue editor Giacomo Sanfilippo on behalf of plaintiffs Josiah Trenham, Catherine Trenham, Orthodox Christian Ministries, Inc., and St. Andrew Orthodox Christian Church (Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese) of Riverside CA, where Trenham serves as parish rector. The complaint demands a jury trial for ten (10) allegations.

Orthodoxy in Dialogue is not the first to report this. Trenham’s homophobic followers (the ones who publicly call Mr. Sanfilippo every imaginable obscene name for a gay man on social media, including at least one threat of physical violence) have been circulating the news on social media since at least July 13, well before service was effected on the defendant. One wonders which insider source provided this information prematurely to Trenham’s followers.

It’s unclear how Metropolitan Joseph of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese or the archdiocesan administrative apparatus in Englewood NJ thought it would be a good look to sue a penniless gay man, student, and internationally known advocate for LGBTQI acceptance in the Orthodox Church. Most certainly His Eminence had to have given his blessing for this proceeding and for the inclusion of a parish under his omophorion as a plaintiff. (Cf. 1 Cor 6:1-8.)

Diadem

Woodpecker
Orthodox
From what I understand, the lawyers representing Fr. Josiah are doing so from a non-profit position. Whether their firm itself is non-profit or they've taken the case pro bono, I'm not sure - but it sounds like he won't be paying much, if anything, in this suit.
From the above article: "The Thomas More Society is a national not-for-profit law firm"

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
From what I understand, the Orthodoxy in Dialogue editors allege child abuse, as well as a number of other malicious claims.

Last edited:

ChiefSinnerJohn

Pigeon
Orthodox
Humility is synonymous with love and essential for our times so we can live in the world but not be of it.

You might like St. Silouan’s writings: https://www.abebooks.com/9780913836170/Wisdom-Mount-Athos-Writings-Staretz-0913836176/plp

My wife and I have been listening to Father Josiah’s 11 part lecture on St Paul’s Epistle to the Romans. It’s wonderful

Also.. speaking of St. Silouan: here is another book about the Saint’s life and teachings written by his disciple St. Sophrony.

At my parish, our priest leads a book study on Sundays after coffee hour. We have just recently started this book.

SingularityOne

Woodpecker
Orthodox
My wife and I have been listening to Father Josiah’s 11 part lecture on St Paul’s Epistle to the Romans. It’s wonderful

Also.. speaking of St. Silouan: here is another book about the Saint’s life and teachings written by his disciple St. Sophrony.

At my parish, our priest leads a book study on Sundays after coffee hour. We have just recently started this book.

I just listened through all of his lectures on Romans. Superb! I agree.

I didn’t know they hade a reprint! Thanks for the link. You’re in for a treat. That book is fantastic and full of wisdom. That’s nice y’all have a book study after coffee hour!

St. Silouan is my patron Saint.

open source

Robin
Gold Member
Patristic Nectar has a 25% off summer sale that ends in a few days (Aug 15th). Discount auto applied at checkout.

Lots of lectures from Fr Josiah and others. I picked up a bunch earlier this year and they are great for car rides, podcast alternatives.

Ty Richards

Chicken
Orthodox Catechumen
Father Josiah is a priest in Riverside, California for the Antiochian Orthodox Church. I've never met him, but I consider him a spiritual elder thanks his prolific output of sermons and talks. He understands what's going on in the culture and connects it with the spiritual world better than anyone else. I hope to use this thread to share his work.

View attachment 24865

To start off, he's a recent sermon I enjoyed:

His YouTube channel:

He has many theological lectures available for a reasonable price on his organization's web site: Patristic Nectar Films. They each come in downloadable MP3 format.

If you're new to Orthodox prayer, you will enjoy this series: https://patristicnectar.org/bookstore_120607_1

I'm currently enjoying his series on the Book of Revelation: https://patristicnectar.org/bookstore_150831_1

And if you're completely new to Orthodoxy, or simply would like to further your understanding, he has a mammoth catechism of 16 lectures: https://patristicnectar.org/bookstore_140523_1

I have bought it and will listen on my upcoming road trip.

He has been a big part of leading me down the right path. Great Homilies, great interviews, rigorously stands in the Faith in the local, national and international communities. He’s getting a little too into Jordan Peterson but other than that, zero complaints.