Father Josiah Trenham is a pillar of Orthodoxy

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
If you listen to Fr. Trenham's lectures like I do, you'll see that he recommends a lot of secular figures, quoting them often. He does read secular books to keep his pulse on the cultural winds. It's unfortunate that detractors are using one of his recommendations in an attempt to wipe out his whole ministry. I see this as a demonic attack against him.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Jordan Peterson is not just another secular figure; he's a cultural phenomenon. How we as Christians react to such trends tests our faith.

In the case of Peterson, are we Christians willing to ally with a heretic (Peterson), who appears to be a demoniac, just to win a temporal Culture War?

Fr. Trenham's ministry is great, but everyone has his stumbling blocks. I don't think this speaks to Fr. Trenham's ministry, but rather his particular failings in individual discernment. I am of course glad that the father has gained many souls for Christ.

Last edited:

Beaker

Robin
Respectfully, I disagree.

Jordan Peterson is not just another secular figure; he's a cultural phenomenon. How we as Christians react to such trends tests our faith.

In the case of Peterson, are we Christians willing to ally with a heretic (Peterson), who appears to be a demoniac, just to win a temporal Culture War?

Fr. Trenham's ministry is great, but everyone has his stumbling blocks. I don't think this speaks to Fr. Trenham's ministry, but rather his particular failings in individual discernment. I am of course glad that the father has gained many souls for Christ.
https://www.eternitynews.com.au/opinion/why-im-not-a-christian-jordan-peterson/

Peterson basically said that he's not a Christian because he's too weak to live in the Christian way. Of course it's very difficult but that's why it's a worthy pursuit, and the consequences of not striving to be like Christ are many times worse than the pain of trying. He paid the price recently, with his addiction to the drugs that gave him the power trip he craved, instead of humbling himself and having the courage to face his weakness.

It would be great if Trenham talked in depth about this topic, as following in the footsteps of Peterson would derail a lot of Christians.

PainPositive

Kingfisher
Gold Member
https://www.eternitynews.com.au/opinion/why-im-not-a-christian-jordan-peterson/

Peterson basically said that he's not a Christian because he's too weak to live in the Christian way. Of course it's very difficult but that's why it's a worthy pursuit, and the consequences of not striving to be like Christ are many times worse than the pain of trying. He paid the price recently, with his addiction to the drugs that gave him the power trip he craved, instead of humbling himself and having the courage to face his weakness.

It would be great if Trenham talked in depth about this topic, as following in the footsteps of Peterson would derail a lot of Christians.

I've listened to many of Fr. Trenham's lessons and went through his catechism course. I used to be "very offended" that he liked JP but I don't really care now. If Fr. Trenham thinks his book is useful for young people, then okay. Even if "12 Rules" is poor advice, of all the bad things being pushed on young people today, Peterson's book is probably pretty low on that list. I can't understand how I was so worked up about this before.

Last edited:

Beaker

Robin

I've listened to many of Fr. Trenham's lessons and went through his catechism course. I used to be "very offended" that he liked JP but I don't really care now. If Fr. Trenham thinks his book is useful for young people, then okay. Even if "12 Rules" is poor advice, of all the bad things being pushed on young people today, Peterson's book is probably pretty low on that list. I can't understand how I was so worked up about this before.
Peterson has a new book out now, the media seems to be undecided whether to promote it or not. If people can see him as an example of what not to do then he will not be a negative influence, it all depends on the reader. He has paid the price of what his world view advocates for and is a cautionary tale.