Clergy & Monastics Father Josiah Trenham is a pillar of Orthodoxy

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox

Another great one. He reports what is news to me, that the California UC system terminated its contracts with Catholic hospitals, because they refused to perform evil operations and recommend contraceptives. He also calls out the harvesting of living babies' organs, and quotes Plato in saying physicians should never be rulers.

Guriko

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Gold Member
I really like listening to his sermons.

There have been quite a many of moments when when I had to stop and say: 'S**t, that's describing me and my sinful ways...' and pray for mercy and guidance.

Once you start embracing Christianity with an open heart and humble soul you truly see how soulless our current era is. So shallow, so degenerate, so... empty of life. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it boggles the mind how easily we've forgotten what had to be sacrificed in order for us to be here now, at this moment, speaking to one another, though thousands of miles apart.

Christianity truly is the anchor within a storm and the ship towards the final only goal. But I have to keep reminding myself that I cannot allow myself to be a mere passenger, but an active participant, a sailor, helping others to reach where we all wish to be.

God bless.

Samseau

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
The saints weren't perfect. If your main complaint is that he likes someone who isn't perfect he sounds like a pretty decent priest to me. Jordan Peterson was a stepping stone for a lot of people, including me. Yes he has problems, but I think Fr Josiah primarily sees the good in him especially when contrasted with our world today.

I have a different hypothesis here: I think Fr Josiah is secretly trying to convert Peterson in spite of his own heretical beliefs. Saving the heretic, especially someone you know whom is actually a good man and is good to his Neighbors, is something Jesus would want us to try and do. Jesus befriended all kinds of sinners and saved many who repented. Likewise this point is repeated within the Parable of the Good Samaritan, the Samaritan gets involved with someone else's personal lives in order to help and save them, despite being different from them in nearly every way.

Rather than having immediate suspicion of a religious figure, reserve judgement and see if perhaps there is something more to learn? I am almost always surprised at the reasoning of devout Orthodox priests on tons of issues, which is why it is a pleasure to speak with most of them.

My priest befriended a homeless drunk. He let him attend services even though he would stumble in reeking of alcohol and slurring his speech. In spite of how much of a terrible wreck this drunkard was, he professed his faith in God and Christ and begged for mercy every time he showed up in Church (which was more often than most Orthodox I know). My priest gave him shelter and food as much as he could provide, and the drunkard saught forgiveness for his sins (even though he could not recover, he was too far gone and died an alcoholic). Whether or not the man was truly saved or not is irrelevant. We only need to do what God called upon us to do, which was to heal the sick and provide nourishment for all of the sick and destroyed souls out there. God will handle the rest and judge infinitely better than any of us could, so it is not up for us to judge others for their personal sins - even if they are heretics!

When it comes to matters of the spirit, remember the first rule, "nothing makes sense." God being infinite means there are infinite ways for people to experience conversion. Reading lives of saints reveals that no two saints have the same conversion process and it almost never makes any sense how it happens, such is the great power of God.

Fr. Josiah Having a picture with someone who is influential among conservative youth is just a good way to build a friendship and perhaps plant the seeds of conversion in Peterson's mind, and in Peterson's followers. There is no harm in trying, yet incredible gains if Peterson does find it in himself to seek God. Not to mention as well, the hundreds of stories of men who end up reading Peterson and somehow finding God anyways show that perhaps his picture helped saved many. It's impossible to know for us, but we need not worry. Our only duty is to try.

I found this interview by Father Josiah very interesting. Father Josiah is interviewing a same-sex attracted (SSA) professor of Biblical studies on his book on his struggles with chastity and life in Christ:

Dr. Hill makes the point that we're essentially calling gay people to something like asceticism without either the support system that monks have in their monastery, or that married couples have through each other. Additionally, churches usually offer significant support to heterosexual couples in the form of premarital training/counseling, but they don't have good answers to SSA individuals. Also, married couples in churches have a mutual fraternity with other married couples which allows them to reinforce living within the faith, but for SSA individuals often excluded from such fraternity/family life, the struggle is much harder.

Dr. Hill is Anglican, but in his research he appears to be digging into the Church Fathers and older Christian ideas of friendship in order to think about what sort of support mechanisms could be created to help SSA individuals maintain chaste lives.

Another solution, that worked for probably thousands of years, is for gay men to simply marry a woman they won't have sex with. This is actually easier than it sounds, since gay men often have girlfriends who are ugly or insufferable, and would make good marriage candidates for. They could simply have a platonic marriage where they keep each other free from sin.

A much bigger problem the gay man faces is the same one all straight men face, which is a serious lack of marriageable women.

Last edited:

Guriko

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Gold Member
I've be slowly going through all of the episodes on his The Arena podcast.

In essence The Arena is the flagship of Patristic Nectar Publications and contains the Sunday Sermons and other theological reflections by Father Josiah Trenham delivered from the ambon of St. Andrew Church in Riverside, California and begun in 2010. Currently there are more than 550 sermons and lectures covering ten years worth of preaching through the liturgical calendar.

I've grown tired of the milquetoast Jesus and Christianity - its fruit is withered, its taste bland and without substance. On Sundays this is usually the only thing I listen to - many times more than once. They also offer lectures in audio form.

Truly a blessing.

Going strong

Crow
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
The Establishment did the same with the influencial Conservative Christian leader De Villiers in France. They took one of his sons, a troubled soul at the time, and made him say some dubious things about incest, thus breaking De Villiers' presidential hopes.

Later on it turned out everything was fake, no incest existed, but the harm was perpetrated. Phil de Villiers had to step back for years. Only recently did he come back in public life, tirelessly denouncing the islamisation of Europe.

Well, it shows that the crooked Establishment likes to use false sexual accusations against its enemies, both priests or Conservative politicians.

GuitarVH

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Let us pray that Fr. Josiah's lawsuit puts "Marxism In Monologue" out of business.

Because of the link posted above, I went to the Orthodoxy in Dialogue site. After looking at a few articles, it was clear the site was completely cancerous with non-stop slander, weird gay promotion, globalist spouting and climate change nonsense. They had article after article slandering Fr. Trenham so it was good to see the son recanting his drug-fueled rants, explaining how they were edited and taken out of context with the clear intent of destroying a man's reputation. What a hideous site. Totally mean-spirited anti-Christian gossip and garbage under the false pretense of being holy, something easily discerned by even a casual reader. Pathetic and demonic.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Because of the link posted above, I went to the Orthodoxy in Dialogue site. After looking at a few articles, it was clear the site was completely cancerous with non-stop slander, weird gay promotion, globalist spouting and climate change nonsense. They had article after article slandering Fr. Trenham so it was good to see the son recanting his drug-fueled rants, explaining how they were edited and taken out of context with the clear intent of destroying a man's reputation. What a hideous site. Totally mean-spirited anti-Christian gossip and garbage under the false pretense of being holy, something easily discerned by even a casual reader. Pathetic and demonic.
The worst part is that the guy who runs it used to be a married priest before he decided to live an unrepentantly homosexual lifestyle instead.

ChiefSinnerJohn

Pigeon
Orthodox
Male and Female: Reflections on Transgenderism

A four part lecture series by Fr. Josiah is available to download for free this month from Patristic Nectar.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox

A four part lecture series by Fr. Josiah is available to download for free this month from Patristic Nectar.

Thank you, downloading now!

Should be great, I know from listening to him, his lectures may be titled in a way so that you think will go one way but then it ends up circling back to a call for the listeners' repentance, so I'm sure it will be edifying even though I don't know any of these troubled people.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Does anyone know if it is possible to download the Philokalia recordings from Patristic Nectar to use offline? I'm on their website and it seems you can only listen using the web player.

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
Regarding the issue of leaving your current location, as I have said before, you can only stay if there are others there that will fight with you. In most of the cities or metropolitan areas where people have a problem, there are enough that won't join in the fight or cause a disturbance within the local parish or community that make it a confused situation and not worthwhile to stick around.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox

I'm listening right now. I thought I knew everything about the culture but I'm learning quite a bit. It's sobering.