Saints Father Seraphim Rose

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Many Orthodox Christians in American and Russia have been strongly impacted by Father Seraphim Rose's faith and written works. His discernment predicted many of the degradations we are going through, in spite of the fact that he died well before the age of the internet (1982). He was born in a Protestant background and fell for some worldly traps before he converted to Orthodoxy in California. He was a spiritual child of Saint John of Shanghai. Online biography:
I've reviewed three of his books so far:
His early writings were more on the philosophical side, but towards the end of his life, his works became more accessible.

As a new convert to the Church, it was recommended for me by the priest that baptized me to read the following 1800 page book.
It's an amazing work that I highly recommend (I'm about halfway done with it). Right now it's only available in Kindle but should be re-printed in paperback soon. There is also a PDF floating around but make sure you get the new edition. The first edition of this book had many errors that the author had to correct.

The 40th anniversary of Father Seraphim's death will be next year. There's a good chance he will be glorified by the Church, but many are already praying to him daily, including myself. Father Seraphim, may you give us the discernment to understand these times!

seraphim-rose-icon.jpg

Last edited:

hessian

Chicken
Orthodox
It's an amazing work that I highly recommend (I'm about halfway done with it).
I could not agree more. I have more screenshots and highlights of any book I've ever read.

I was surprised to learn he was received by Chrismation, it seems this controversy regarding baptism/chrismation has been going for some time.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
I've read several other books by Fr. Seraphim which I thought were terrific, but haven't gotten to His Life And Works yet. It's on my list.

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
As of today, I still haven't read any of his works. Although "Orthodoxy and the religion of the future" stands on my bookshelf now. Can't wait to share my thoughts.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
I could not agree more. I have more screenshots and highlights of any book I've ever read.

I was surprised to learn he was received by Chrismation, it seems this controversy regarding baptism/chrismation has been going for some time.
Christmation is the ancient way to receive heretics who have otherwise been baptized in the name of the Trinity. There is oieconomia of Grace here.

Orthodox only receive non-Orthodox Christians by baptism when there is doubt about the validity of a particular heterodox baptism.

Of course this is something to discuss with your priest.

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Just finished the chapther about the UFOs in the "Orthodoxy and the religion of the future" - it blew my mind.

I'm not saying his observations regarding transcendental meditation, zen buddhism etc. are less useful. But I think any faithful Christian has the ability to oppose "religions" or "quasi-religions" that deny Jesus Christ as God and Savior, be it Hinduism, Islam or anything else.

UFOs seem a different kind of beast.

If we can assume that all maharajis and "gurus" of this world are manipulated by demons, i.e. demons act through these petty hindus, the UFOs are "stunts" perfomed by demons personally. Kinda scary.

When Fr. Rose juxtaposed UFOs with demonic experiences of some Orthodox monks of the past, I thought that it's the only explanation of the "close encounters" with "humanoids" that makes sense.

Good news is that demons can't do anything to us without our consent. So stay alert, Christian!

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Just finished "Orthodoxy..."

At the risk of exaggeration, I must say it may be one of the most important books every open-minded inquirer into the Orthodoxy, catechumen, newly baptized or even someone who's been in the Church for a few years should read.

If before reading this book, I might have had some sense of pride or self-glorification because I'm in the true "based" Church that exists from Day 1. Now, I think that the Orthodoxy truly has the best wherewithal to recognize and renounce the Antichrist. I have a feeling that only the Orthodoxy with its misticism can fully grasp what's going on, the evil forces behind UFOs, new age, pentacostal churches, globalization etc. Other denominations don't seem to take many things seriously. And by many things I mean demons.

The lesson from reading this book for me was:

Lives of the saints and their homilies are precious (I mean the Saints Fr. Seraphim quoted in his book). Not only can they help maintain the tradition over centuries. But more importantly, they just KNOW stuff because they SAW what most of us CAN'T see. If previously I had a shadow of the doubt whether demons really exist, now I have no doubt at all.

josemiguel

Pigeon
Orthodox
Fr Seraphim and St John Maximovitch played a massive role in my discovery of Orthodoxy. Well always be grateful to both and need to get an Icon of Fr Seraphim.

I've read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future, Nihilism, the Soul aftwr Death, and his Genesis, Creation and Early Man. All three were greatly edifying, you're in for a treat Roosh with TSAD!

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Fr Seraphim and St John Maximovitch played a massive role in my discovery of Orthodoxy. Well always be grateful to both and need to get an Icon of Fr Seraphim.

Glory to God!

Are there icons of non-saints though? Fr. Seraphim has not been canonized.

OrthoLeaf

Sparrow
Orthodox
Just finished "Orthodoxy..."

At the risk of exaggeration, I must say it may be one of the most important books every open-minded inquirer into the Orthodoxy, catechumen, newly baptized or even someone who's been in the Church for a few years should read.
Yes, I consider Blessed Seraphim Rose essential reading to anyone who wants to have the correct spiritual discernment of our times. He was the first person who I read, when I was still an atheist, that was accurately able to articulate how and why we ended up in this inverted society we find ourselves in. He articulated what I knew to be true, but just couldn't put my finger on, as I lacked the necessary phronema to make sense of it all. His book "Nihilism" really hit home and is probably one of the most impactful books I've ever read and played an indispensable role in my conversion to Holy Orthodoxy. I truly believe that anyone who read and understood his works, were spiritually prepared for the Covid psyop, while those who didn't were left in a state of confusion and likely fell to the spirit of secularism.

One of my favorite stories about Seraphim Rose was how he intended to write a magus opus titled "The Kingdom of Man and the Kingdom of God" in which he would go in depth into everything that he discusses in these aforementioned books. But as he became more and more Orthodox, he eventually realized he had nothing to add which has not already been articulated by the Saints of the Church and instead spent the rest of his life translating spiritual texts from Slavonic into English - a perfect example of Orthodox humility "When I became a Christian I voluntarily crucified my mind, and all the crosses that I bear have been only a source of joy for me" - Seraphim Rose. Yet, what he did write was so incredibly impactful and speaks to the soul of us Christians living in these last days so profoundly, that there is not a doubt in my mind that it was all according to the providence of God and is worthy of being added to the wellspring of wisdom that is Holy Orthodoxy.

Blessed Seraphim Rose, pray to God for us!

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
He was the first person who I read, when I was still an atheist, that was accurately able to articulate how and why we ended up in this inverted society we find ourselves in.
It's amazing how God can speak to those who deny Him.

One of my favorite stories about Seraphim Rose was how he intended to write a magus opus titled "The Kingdom of Man and the Kingdom of God" in which he would go in depth into everything that he discusses in these aforementioned books. But as he became more and more Orthodox, he eventually realized he had nothing to add which has not already been articulated by the Saints of the Church and instead spent the rest of his life translating spiritual texts from Slavonic into English - a perfect example of Orthodox humility "When I became a Christian I voluntarily crucified my mind, and all the crosses that I bear have been only a source of joy for me" - Seraphim Rose.

The bestselling protestant authors can learn something. But what can you do? There're their own Popes.

ChiefSinnerJohn

Pigeon
Orthodox
This was one of the first books I read a couple of years ago as a catechumen. Absolutely wonderful. One of my favorite and most impactful books I have ever read. His story resonates so well with many of us today. Fr. Seraphim is like the patron Saint of lost sheep in America.

Don’t let the high page count scare you away if you have an aversion to large books. I couldn’t put the book down and found myself reading it every chance I had. I look forward to rereading it again in the future.

Holy Father Seraphim, intercede for us sinners!

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
I started reading His Life And Works this past weekend and absolutely love it. This book is essential reading for converts to Orthodoxy, especially those particularly drawn to the Russian tradition. It's honestly hard to put it down.

ChiefSinnerJohn

Pigeon
Orthodox
I started reading His Life And Works this past weekend and absolutely love it. This book is essential reading for converts to Orthodoxy, especially those particularly drawn to the Russian tradition. It's honestly hard to put it down.
This was one of the first books I read coming into the faith in June 2019, after reading Nihilism and God’s Revelation to the Human Heart.

It had a tremendous impact on me and it’s probably my favorite book I’ve ever said. I absolutely agree with you saying it’s hard to put down. I found myself reading it every moment I could.

I love the example of how when Father Seraphim became Orthodox he left all his intellectual baggage at the door, crucified his intellect, and strove to take on the mind of the Fathers. May he pray that we can follow in his steps and do likewise

In addition to being a fantastic book in and of itself, it was a great springboard for me, as a new convert, into various other writings of contemporary Saints and elders and patristic writings.

Enjoy!

EDIT: I’m just realizing only a few posts above this I was explaining this.. forgive me for repeating myself it get excited talking about this book. But it bears repeating. It’s an amazing book .

Last edited: