Saints Father Seraphim Rose

Pavel

Robin
Orthodox
I saw something yesterday on Instagram which got my attention. You probably know, Mike Cernovich is exploring Orthodox Christianity and yesterday he shared a picture and a quote from Fr Seraphim Rose.

I hope one day he converts to our church. This will be huge.

Here it is:
View attachment 35393
I have been saying Mike Cernovich is leaning towards orthodoxy. I pray he will join the church in 2022.

Look at his recent tweet:

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Holy Cross Monastery is selling Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future for only $10:

DRIIIVER

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Holy Cross Monastery is selling Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future for only $10:
I’m glad I saw your article on Patristic Faith today, I had been looking for The Orthodox Survival Course and hadn’t been able to find it. Is that article new or a repost of an article previously from your website? Thank you for the download!

DRIIIVER

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
It can hardly be denied, and a sober look at the transformations the world and man have undergone in the last two centuries can only confirm the fact, that the war of the enemies of God has been successful; its ultimate victory, in fact, seems imminent. But what can "victory" mean in such a war? What kind of "peace" can a humanity know that has been learning so long the lessons of violence? In the Christian life, we know, there is a harmony of means and ends. Through prayer and a devout life, and through the Sacraments of the Church, the Christian is changed, by the Grace of God, to become more like his Lord and thus more worthy to participate in the Kingdom He has prepared for those who truly follow Him. Those who are His are known by the fruits they bear: patience, humility, meekness, obedience, peace, joy, love, kindness, forgiveness—fruits which at one and the same time prepare for and already share in the fullness of that Kingdom. End and means are one; what is begun in this life is perfected in the life to come.

In the same way there is a "harmony" in the works of Satan; the “virtues" of his servants are consistent with the ends they serve. Hatred, pride, rebelliousness, discord, violence, unscrupulous use of power: these will not magically disappear when the Revolutionary Kingdom is finally realized on earth; they will rather be intensified and perfected. If the Revolutionary goal "beyond Nihilism" is described in precisely contrary terms, and if Nihilists actually see it as a reign of "love, peace, and brotherhood”, that is because Satan is the ape of God and even in denial must acknowledge the source of that denial, and—more to the present point—because men have been so changed by the practice of the Nihilist "virtues," and by acceptance of the Nihilist transformation of the world, that they actually begin to live in the Revolutionary Kingdom and to see everything as Satan sees it, as the contrary of what it is in the eyes of God.

What lies "beyond Nihilism" and has been the profoundest dream of its greatest "prophets," is by no means the overcoming of Nihilism, but its culmination. The "new age," being largely the work of Nihilism, will be, in substance, nothing different from the Nihilist era we know. To believe otherwise, to look for salvation to some new "development," whether brought about by the inevitable forces of "progress" or "evolution" or some romantic "dialectic," or supplied gratuitously from the treasury of the mysterious "future" before which modern men stand in superstitious awe—to believe this is to be the victim of a monstrous delusion.
Nihilism is, most profoundly, a spiritual disorder, and it can be overcome only by spiritual means; and there has been no attempt whatever in the contemporary world to apply such means.

The Nihilist disease is apparently to be left to "develop" to its very end; the goal of the Revolution, originally the hallucination of a few fevered minds, has now become the goal of humanity itself. Men have become weary; the Kingdom of God is too distant, the Orthodox Christian way is too narrow and arduous. The Revolution has captured the "spirit of the age," and to go against this powerful current is more than modern men can do, for it requires precisely the two things most thoroughly annihilated by Nihilism: [absolute] Truth and faith.

- Father Seraphim Rose

Excerpt from
Nihilism” pg. 88-90

Circa 1970s

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
It can hardly be denied, and a sober look at the transformations the world and man have undergone in the last two centuries can only confirm the fact, that the war of the enemies of God has been successful; its ultimate victory, in fact, seems imminent. But what can "victory" mean in such a war? What kind of "peace" can a humanity know that has been learning so long the lessons of violence? In the Christian life, we know, there is a harmony of means and ends. Through prayer and a devout life, and through the Sacraments of the Church, the Christian is changed, by the Grace of God, to become more like his Lord and thus more worthy to participate in the Kingdom He has prepared for those who truly follow Him. Those who are His are known by the fruits they bear: patience, humility, meekness, obedience, peace, joy, love, kindness, forgiveness—fruits which at one and the same time prepare for and already share in the fullness of that Kingdom. End and means are one; what is begun in this life is perfected in the life to come.

In the same way there is a "harmony" in the works of Satan; the “virtues" of his servants are consistent with the ends they serve. Hatred, pride, rebelliousness, discord, violence, unscrupulous use of power: these will not magically disappear when the Revolutionary Kingdom is finally realized on earth; they will rather be intensified and perfected. If the Revolutionary goal "beyond Nihilism" is described in precisely contrary terms, and if Nihilists actually see it as a reign of "love, peace, and brotherhood”, that is because Satan is the ape of God and even in denial must acknowledge the source of that denial, and—more to the present point—because men have been so changed by the practice of the Nihilist "virtues," and by acceptance of the Nihilist transformation of the world, that they actually begin to live in the Revolutionary Kingdom and to see everything as Satan sees it, as the contrary of what it is in the eyes of God.

What lies "beyond Nihilism" and has been the profoundest dream of its greatest "prophets," is by no means the overcoming of Nihilism, but its culmination. The "new age," being largely the work of Nihilism, will be, in substance, nothing different from the Nihilist era we know. To believe otherwise, to look for salvation to some new "development," whether brought about by the inevitable forces of "progress" or "evolution" or some romantic "dialectic," or supplied gratuitously from the treasury of the mysterious "future" before which modern men stand in superstitious awe—to believe this is to be the victim of a monstrous delusion.
Nihilism is, most profoundly, a spiritual disorder, and it can be overcome only by spiritual means; and there has been no attempt whatever in the contemporary world to apply such means.

The Nihilist disease is apparently to be left to "develop" to its very end; the goal of the Revolution, originally the hallucination of a few fevered minds, has now become the goal of humanity itself. Men have become weary; the Kingdom of God is too distant, the Orthodox Christian way is too narrow and arduous. The Revolution has captured the "spirit of the age," and to go against this powerful current is more than modern men can do, for it requires precisely the two things most thoroughly annihilated by Nihilism: [absolute] Truth and faith.

- Father Seraphim Rose

Excerpt from
Nihilism” pg. 88-90

Circa 1970s
Nihilism has been one of the most profound books I've read. Must read for everybody here to understand the grand scheme of things.

DRIIIVER

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Nihilism has been one of the most profound books I've read. Must read for everybody here to understand the grand scheme of things.
It provides such an effective and succinct synopsis of why we are where we are and I recognized in myself the nihilistic tendencies I had for a few years before seeking Christ again, and ultimately, Holy Orthodoxy.

DRIIIVER

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Can you recommend a good outlet/publisher? Dont like supporting scamazon if possible.
Here is a PDF of it. You can run this PDF through LuLu.com, if it is formatted properly, and have your own physical copy. If you do this, please share the link to LuLu here for those who also want a physical copy of Nihilism.

Attachments

• Nihilism - The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age.pdf
    707 KB · Views: 4

Iacobus

Robin
Orthodox
Can you recommend a good outlet/publisher? Dont like supporting scamazon if possible.

Akaky Akakievitch

Kingfisher
Orthodox

I've been reading his Biography as a catechumen, and while I've been urging myself to read more lives of saints, I realise that I'm already reading about the life and works of an unrecognised saint, in official terms.

As someone entering the Church this past year and witnessing the huge popularity and the impact that Fr Seraphim had on people throughout the Orthodox world, alongside founding a monastery and his huge output of works and translations etc., it is a little surprising to me that he is not yet canonised. I wonder what factions are against that or preventing it from happening. Either way, it doesn't matter a huge deal because people already venerate him like a saint anyway, which is what matters more I suppose.

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I've been reading his Biography as a catechumen, and while I've been urging myself to read more lives of saints, I realise that I'm already reading about the life and works of an unrecognised saint, in official terms.

As someone entering the Church this past year and witnessing the huge popularity and the impact that Fr Seraphim had on people throughout the Orthodox world, alongside founding a monastery and his huge output of works and translations etc., it is a little surprising to me that he is not yet canonised. I wonder what factions are against that or preventing it from happening. Either way, it doesn't matter a huge deal because people already venerate him like a saint anyway, which is what matters more I suppose.
The more academic and liberal types dislike Fr Seraphim Rose because he wrote against evolution and wrote about toll houses.

On r/OrthodoxChristianity they will dismiss him as a "good example of repentance" but denounce him for his anti-evolutionism and teaching toll houses.

Basically whether or not a person speaks favourably about him or not is an indication of whether or not they have a modernist spirit

Dovetail

Pigeon
Orthodox

These things take time - it's quite normal for it to be several decades or even nearly a century before a saint is canonised. Saints like Paisios and Porphyrios were canonised unusually quickly.

Akaky Akakievitch

Kingfisher
Orthodox
The more academic and liberal types dislike Fr Seraphim Rose because he wrote against evolution and wrote about toll houses.

On r/OrthodoxChristianity they will dismiss him as a "good example of repentance" but denounce him for his anti-evolutionism and teaching toll houses.

Basically whether or not a person speaks favourably about him or not is an indication of whether or not they have a modernist spirit

Yes that was the impression I had gathered. Because he stands in Truth and honours the Ancient Patristic tradition, he is inevitably going to cause friction, I suppose much like his spiritual father St John Maximovitch, who had a similar effect on people during his lifetime and afterwards.

These things take time - it's quite normal for it to be several decades or even nearly a century before a saint is canonised. Saints like Paisios and Porphyrios were canonised unusually quickly.

Yes those were two saints I had in mind actually, I thought perhaps that it was normal to be recognised within a decade or so, but I have heard other examples where it took much longer so perhaps this is the more regular occurrence as you say.

nagareboshi

Kingfisher
Orthodox

The best part about the academic "criticism" of Fr. Seraphim Rose is that they provide no evidence for their words and basically resort to name-calling.

Yeagerist

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen

The best part about the academic "criticism" of Fr. Seraphim Rose is that they provide no evidence for their words and basically resort to name-calling.

Fr. Seraphim Rose pretty much predicted and summarized the godless and anti-Christian movements of our time, so the irrational seething from modernists against him ironically proves his points. Of course, it's Reddit, what else you'd expect from soy neckbeards. I think the meltdown from evolutionists and other liberal science nerds is due to scientism ultimately being rooted in faulty presuppositions, so they don't have anything substantial to answer from a philosophy-oriented polemic. Also because they're influenced by the globalist Zeitgeist, and so they can't accept granting legitimacy to any argument presenting (Orthodox) Christianity as grounded intellectually. But if Fr. Seraphim was a Hindu or Buddhist guru instead they would practically worship him.

So yes, his very writings are pretty much a barometer for how far gone Western society has been in secularism. It also exposes modern academia as nothing more than glorified ivory towers and indoctrination camps.