Favorite fasting foods and recipes

Cavalier

Sparrow
What are your favorite fasting foods and recipe? I'm especially curious for no-oil recipes.
I add dehydrated spices to kidney or black beans, such as chili powder, oregano, onion, garlic and cumin put it over rice or cornmeal mush. Tomato sauce add dehydrated garlic, onion, oregano, thyme, basil put over macaroni or linguini. I find boiled potatoes, carrots and cabbage to be good with some salt and maybe a little Tabasco sauce.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Dairy free smoothies with lots of unsalted roasted peanuts. I don't use peanut butter because the non-organic kind is pretty bad for you and the organic stuff is just the peanuts, so you save a lot of money just using peanuts. Strawberry, banana, and peanuts is probably the best combination I've found so far. If you can find vegan protein powder or get a blessing for whey protein powder, that's great.

Tuna on toast with some red pepper or spice of your choice on fish days.

Homemade trail mix, buy large amounts of cashews, almonds, peanuts, and raisins at the start of a fast, you probably will want another dried fruit as well.

Oatmeal or cream of wheat with some fresh fruit.

Vegan stews can actually be pretty good but you have to start slow with the beans if you don't have a tolerance for them.

Peanuts are essential to a fast, they have a property in their oils that makes you feel full and are high in protein and calories.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Interesting, do you know if that is specific to peanuts or are there other foods that share those properties? E.g. other nuts
Hmm, just looked at several pages trying to find it, they all claimed the satiety comes down to the high protein, fiber, and fat content of peanuts, so yes other nuts would do the same.

josemiguel

Sparrow
Orthodox
I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, soy and peanuts, so I heavily depend on shellfish. I do a lot of SouthEast Asian cuisine, and eat mussels, clams, oysters, shrimp, crab and crawfish in that order of priority. Rice and beans of course too.

I thank God every fasting day that I don't have a sheriff's allergy!

Basilus of Moro

Sparrow
Orthodox
I assume to follow the [strict] fast, you also mean not cooking anything in oils like olive oil, peanut oil, canola oil, etc.. I recommend a cookbook called "When you fast," which features many good recipes that follow the letter and spirit of fasting rules.

One of the best fasting meals in my mind is a certain bean taco. You basically cut up an onion, cook it in water until the onion is soft, then add black beans, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and 2 jalapeños. Then serve it with some avocado, some salsa or hot sauce (oil free), and enjoy. It is also ideally made with homemade tortillas, which are rather easy to make, and also can be made oil free.