Favorite soup/stew recipes

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I've found that soups and stews are an underrated component in a healthy diet, and I've tried to incorporate more of them into my eating routine. I mainly use a Dutch oven, but you can use anything, really, although some work better with a pressure cooker. I would be interested in hearing everyone's favorite soup or stew recipe. Below is one that I use. It's not necessarily my favorite, but I like it because it's adaptable to whatever you have on hand:

Basic, thick, vegetable and meat soup:

1. One pound of any kind of meat: bacon, sausage, beef, pork, or chicken. Cut into one-inch squares.
2. One or two chopped onions
3. Several cloves of minced garlic
4. One tablespoon of black pepper and any other spice that you like
5. One can (15 oz) of chicken broth
6. One can of any kind of beans or chickpeas
7. One can of creamed corn (this adds a lot of calories and some sugar, so can be skipped if desired, but you may need to add some water to make sure you have enough broth to cover all the ingredients)
8. Two cups (or more) of chopped carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, butternut squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, or whatever other kind of vegetable you like and have on hand
9. (optional) One cup of instant, brown, long-grain, or white rice

In the Dutch oven, add the first three ingredients with a dash of oil (olive, avocado, coconut, vegetable, or whichever you prefer) and sautee' over medium heat until the meat is browned. If you don't want to have a fatty, greasy broth, drain the liquid.

Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute or so, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, then let simmer for about 25 minutes to allow all the vegetables and rice to get soft. You can sprinkle chopped chives, green onion, and shredded cheese on top when serving, if desired.

This soup will serve about six people. So, if it's just you, put the excess in tupperware and eat it all later.

Last edited:

Pdalion

Pigeon
Orthodox
Caldo Verde is one of my favourites.

One white/yellow onion minced
5-6 Potatoes peeled and cubed (I prefer Yukon Gold potatoes)
4-6 garlic cloves sliced
Olive oil
A bunch of collard greens or kale thinly sliced
2-3 bay leaves
Chorizo sliced into smaller pieces about 1-2 finger widths long

With the olive oil first saute the onions and garlic in the bottom of the pot.
Once the onion starts looking glassy, throw in the potatoes, water, bay leaves and chorizo and boil for 20 minutes. The amount of water will determine the thickness of the soup so having a teakettle with some near boiling water helps if you need to add water mid-cook.
While you wait, wash the collard greens or kale and slice thinly.
After the 20 minutes remove the bay leaves and chorizo add the greens and cook another 5 minutes.
Next sporadically blend the soup so some of the texture still remains.
Last is to put the chorizo back in.

Hope you all enjoy.

Durden347

Robin
One of the healthiest soups out there:

Miso Soup (Serves 4 people)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 teaspoons dashi granules

• 4 cups water

• 3 tablespoons miso paste

• 1 (8 ounce) package silken tofu, diced

• 2 green onions, sliced diagonally into 1/2 inch pieces
DIRECTIONS:

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine dashi granules and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and whisk in the miso paste. Stir in tofu. Separate the layers of the green onions, and add them to the soup. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
I'm smitten by Vifon's Instant Phở gà... the huge drawback about them though, like with any instant noodle is that they're high in sodium. Great soup addition if you ask me

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
If you ever need to thicken the broth of your soup, such as if you put in too much water or for some other reason, this is an easy way to do it, although of dubious nutritional value:

1. Put 3 tbsp of butter and 1/4 cup of white flour in a small skillet
2. On medium heat, stir it until well mixed and bubbly
3. Dump it into your soup or stew and bring the soup to a boil while constantly stirring. Boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat.

Your soup broth should now be a lot thicker.

Nordwand

Kingfisher
Apparently this one sorts out the men from the boys:

Even renowned carnivore Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall was taken aback by this one.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-30466

Butternut Squash Soup
  • 4 pounds whole butternut squash (about 2 medium), halved lengthwise and seeds removed
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
  • 1 medium Granny Smith apple (about 8 ounces)
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion
  • 8 fresh sage leaves
  • 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)

• Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the squash pieces cut-side up on the baking sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and brush all of it over the tops and insides of the squash halves (alternatively, you can rub it on evenly with your fingers). Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until knife tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
  • Meanwhile, peel, core, and cut the apple into medium dice. Cut the onion into medium dice. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the apple, onion, and sage, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
  • When the squash is ready, set the baking sheet on a wire rack until the squash is cool enough to handle. Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh into the saucepan with the sautéed apples and onions; discard the skins.
  • Add the broth, water, and measured salt and pepper, stir to combine, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large pieces of squash, until the flavors meld, about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream.
  • Using a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth, removing the small cap (the pour lid) from the blender lid and covering the space with a kitchen towel (this allows steam to escape and prevents the blender lid from popping off). Alternatively, use an immersion blender. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve garnished with the pumpkin seeds, if using.

I don't really eat soup or stews too often, but the butternut squash soup in the link above is one of my favorites. It is great on a cool fall or early winter day. Last few years I've made it to bring to Thanksgiving, and the rest of my family seems to enjoy it as well.

Diocletian

Woodpecker
I save all the bones and carcasses that have tiny bits of meat from my beef, chicken, and pork in a bag in the freezer and make a strong broth out of it, boiled way down. Filter it out. Take a large heavy heat-proof mug and add an egg, a blob of cold heavy cream, some salt, and beat that together well. Heat the broth up to boiling and pour the broth into the mug, stir it up, and drink.

I also grew up eating straciatella. Heat some strong broth up to boiling. In a bowl beat together a couple eggs, grated parmasean, pepper, a little salt, some herbs if you like. With one hand stir the boiling broth and with the other pour the egg mixture in thin stream into the broth, and serve.

stugatz

Pelican
Whenever I crock pot cook ham hocks, I love to save that broth, complete with the vegetables - it's delicious and silky. All of that gelatin from the skin leeches into the soup and makes the texture unbelievable.

I usually made a soup out of that broth by adding a batch of fresh vegetables, and a large piece of salt pork cut into pieces. Sautee the veggie and salt pork pieces (preferably in rendered lard), add to the broth, simmer for a bit to incorporate, and voila...the most haram soup a man can eat.

(Ham would probably also be a good match, too, so add that if desired - but salt pork is essential for that taste. I find salt pork inedible on its own, but it sends soups into the stratosphere.)

Gazeebo

Pigeon
Orthodox
If you ever need to thicken the broth of your soup, such as if you put in too much water or for some other reason, this is an easy way to do it, although of dubious nutritional value:

1. Put 3 tbsp of butter and 1/4 cup of white flour in a small skillet
2. On medium heat, stir it until well mixed and bubbly
3. Dump it into your soup or stew and bring the soup to a boil while constantly stirring. Boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat.

Your soup broth should now be a lot thicker.
This is called a roux (roo) and its definalty the best way to thicken a soup. Gotten be mindful to not burn it which is very easy to do. However, a darker roux is not as good thickening agent as a lighter one. They are used more in Cajun dishes like the good gumbo and jambalaya.

Good call bringing it up.

stugatz

Pelican
You can also add a cornstarch slurry (usually 1 part cornstarch to 1 part cold water, mixed before adding to the soup and bringing to a boil). However, I like to use that to thicken gravies - I don't think the texture of cornstarch would do soup any favors.

The Penitent Man

Kingfisher
Black bean soup is good and pretty easy to make. You can make a bunch of it and use it for various different purposes as well. When it’s around, I’ll put it under eggs, over rice, or use it as a side dish for meat.

This recipe is similar to the one I’m used to:

Gimlet

Kingfisher
And another thing you can do to thicken it is to boil to reduce the liquid. If you switch to a wide short saucepan it goes fast.
Roux, cornstarch slurry and liquid reduction are all methods to have in your arsenal. They all have a different taste and texture, so the more you experiment the easier it is figure out what to do.

Example, if the seasoning is perfect, don't reduce the liquid as I have said, it will give you a salty dish. I personally add salt late in the process so I can reduce stews at the end and let the collagen taste and feel take over. I like a roux a lot too, it gives more of a gravy texture. And cornstarch slurry reminds me of a thick Asian sauce.

Edit to add based on previous post: to thicken a bean soup, take out a strained 1/3 cup amount (or so) of beans, puree, and add back to soup.

DeFide

Robin
Mississippi Pot Roast

-One 3- to 4-pound boneless beef roast, your choice of cut

-1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter

-1 package au jus or brown gravy mix

-1 package dry ranch dressing mix, such as Hidden Valley

1Pepperoncini peppers, number to your liking, and a little juice

Salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired

Combine chuck roast, pepperoncini, pepperoncini juice, au jus mix, buttermilk ranch dressing, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Cook on Low until roast is fork-tender, about 8 hours.

Serve over rice, potatoes, egg noodles, on buns, etc.
37601AC6-D5F9-4740-9702-623768AC5D67.jpeg

Forester

Robin
I save all the bones and carcasses that have tiny bits of meat from my beef, chicken, and pork in a bag in the freezer and make a strong broth out of it, boiled way down. Filter it out.
I'm reading this thread while currently enjoying some turkey soup I made this evening in a similar manner. Last year I started saving the carcass and leftover trimmings any time we had a family turkey dinner, and wish I had started doing this sooner!

I like to make soup in large batches, portion it out, and freeze it in smaller containers for easy meals down the road.

I'll boil the carcass and leftovers in a large pot of salted water for an hour or so, then take out the carcass and bones, separate the meat and cartilage off, dice it up and put it back in the pot.

I then add several cups of a good dried soup mix I found at a local store (green & yellow split peas, rice, barley, and red split lentils), as well as some seasoning (usually salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and a bit of tumeric) and any veggies I have on hand (today was onion, corn, and fresh kale from the garden).

I let that all simmer for another hour to hour and a half and am left with one hearty, delicious soup!

fortyfive

Woodpecker
Guys, I have to tell you as a big fan of all soups (we cook every week some soup from European, Balkan, Baltic, Asian cuisine) one hard-earned truth.

The best soups in the world are Russian soups. Period.

(I am not Russian for the record)
Hundreds of years old proven recipes used from Kazakhstan to Kamchatka, nothing can beat them.
Rich, tasty, simple, quickly cooked, made from regular ingredients widely available everywhere.
Great for survival in Siberia and for Czars table in Moscow too.

My favorite is probably famous highly popular Solyanka (Солянка). Meat version.
I am using mostly this recipe https://povar.ru/recipes/solyanka_klassicheskaya-37294.html (translate page to english in browser)

My custom recipe for 3 liters:

3 liters of beef broth boiled in pressure cooker with beef cubes 500-800 gr for 30 min.
2-3 sausages and piece of smoked ham cooked in broth or water for 10 min.
Boil pieces of potatoes for 15 min
Fry on butter 2-3 onions and 3 carrots, sliced, then add tomato sauce 3 tbsp
Slice 3-4 sour cucumber on small pieces
Add 100gr olives pitted
black pepper, herbs

put all together to pot and simmer for 5 min.

When serving always put on top bit of sour cream, lemon and green herbs.

Last edited: