Favorite soup/stew recipes

The Dankest Venison Crock Pot Stew of All Time

(You can also use ground beef or pork)

Need: crock pot or instant pot with a slow-cooker function.

1-2 lbs venison steak or loin
1 package thick cut bacon
4 Carrots
4 celery sticks
1 can Kidney beans
4 potatoes - I prefer small golden ones but red or russet also work
1/2 onion
4 cloves garlic
Red wine, BY A LOT
1 BIG can of stewed tomatoes, Italian style okay.
Solt
Peppor
Fresh Rosemary
Cayenne pepper
Paprika
Olive oil
Flour
A square of dark chocolate if you have it for good luck

Step One:
bake the bacon at 325 on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. I cook it for about 8-10 minutes with some olive oil and maple syrup drizzled over it. Watch those suckers so they get just right and tender - don't crisp them. Yes baking bacon is superior to frying it in a pan or any other way. No argument.

Step Two:
Chop garlic and sautee it with the olive oil in the instant pot until clear. While those puppies are simmerin' chop your garlic and then throw that in for 1-2 minutes. Then turn off the instant pot so it doesn't continue to sautee and fill your kitchen with burning onion smoke.

*Note: If you're using a slow cooker, skip this step.

Step Three:
Chop up potatoes, carrots, celery, and your freshly-baked bacon and throw all of that in the pot. I prefer one-inch cubes but it doesn't really matter what size. Some men like 'em thicc.

Step Four:
Now that you have all your veggies cut up and in the pot, take your venison and cut it into one-inch cubes. Do this last so you don't need to wash your knife more than once. Dump meat in pot.

*Note: venison can carry parasites like worms, so always check your meat while you are cutting it. When in doubt, throw it out. Cooking the meat will kill any worms that are hitchhiking on your precious protein but I personally do not want to eat wormy meat. I have also made this stew dozens of times and have never seen a worm so this is probably not a huge concern. But better safe than sorry.

Step Five:
Open the can of beans and rinse your beans in a strainer in the sink. Some people do not know that not rinsing the liquid off of canned beans can cause significant gastric distress in many people, including flatulence. After you rinse the beans, put them in with the veggies and meat. Then stir the meat, bean, and vegetables together with your hands so there is somewhat uniform consistency. Then wash your hands.

Step Six:
Season the meat-veggie mix with salt, pepper, cayenne, a little paprika, chopped-up fresh rosemary, and the square of dark chocolate if you have it.

Step Seven:
Now that everything is in the pot except the tomatoes, open up that big ol' can of stewed tomaters and dump them over everything. Take your rhed whine and dump as much as you want into the empty tomato can, rinsing the clinging tomato particles off of the interior of the can. I pretty much fill up the whole can which is usually about half a bottle. The more wine you have in the stew, the less gamy your venison is going to taste - in my experience, more is better. Do not skip this step. You want that wine and all the possible tomato gunk you can get in that pot.

Step Eight
Set your instant pot to the slow cooker setting and select the temperature to more (do not select "normal" - it is not hot enough to give you an adequate cook; your meat will cook enough, but your vegetables will be al dente and the whole thing will taste gross. If you are using a crock pot, both low and high settings are fine. Set the timer for six to eight hours (on a crock pot set to "low" I would do eight; six for high). Now sit in the sun and read American Pilgrim by Roosh V for six to eight hours while your ingredients bubble into a delicious stew.

Step Nine
Turn off the heat, take off the lid, add some flour to thicken the stew, stir well and serve with crusty buttery bread or over rice.

MrFreezy

Sparrow
Guys, I have to tell you as a big fan of all soups (we cook every week some soup from European, Balkan, Baltic, Asian cuisine) one hard-earned truth.

The best soups in the world are Russian soups. Period.

If you are a fan of russian soups you gotta try Bortsch. Which is the champion of the soups. Based on red beets.
I belong to the german minority born in Russia and later moved to Germany. So my moms cooking is a mix of russian cuisine and german mennonite cooking. When i moved out of home i wrote down all the recipes and on the top of the list is bortsch. My mom claims its the ukranian version of it. Delightful! Solyanka is nice too though.

As of lately my wife is cooking a nice spicy lentil and chick pea soup Mediterranean style. Wonderful!

HurricaneJP

Sparrow
Mississippi Pot Roast

-One 3- to 4-pound boneless beef roast, your choice of cut

-1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter

-1 package au jus or brown gravy mix

-1 package dry ranch dressing mix, such as Hidden Valley

1Pepperoncini peppers, number to your liking, and a little juice

Salt and freshly ground pepper, if desired

Combine chuck roast, pepperoncini, pepperoncini juice, au jus mix, buttermilk ranch dressing, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker. Cook on Low until roast is fork-tender, about 8 hours.

Serve over rice, potatoes, egg noodles, on buns, etc.
View attachment 29298
Looks delicious
I will have to try this

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
This is a creamy, rich soup. It's high in calories and sodium, and doesn't appear to have that much nutrition, so I suggest using it for a special occasion or when entertaining guests:

Creamy sausage, potato, and greens soup:

- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 shallots or 2 sweet onions
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, no skin/casing
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup dry white sherry or wine
- 5 cups garlic or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (if you use chicken broth you can probably skip this ingredient because chicken broth is salty)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 pounds of baby potatoes, quartered
- one heaping pile of baby spinach or kale
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup half-in-half or heavy cream

1. Saute' the onions in the butter and oil until translucent or slightly browned
2. Add the sausage and garlic and brown the meat
3. Pour in the wine and let simmer for about 3 minutes to reduce a little, then add the broth and spices. Stir well.
4. Add the potatoes and greens. You can leave the greens sitting on top of the soup, or stir it all in. It doesn't really matter either way.
5. Bring to a boil for one minute, then reduce heat to low and put a lid on the pot and let simmer for 25 minutes. If you are using an instant pot pressure cooker, seal and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and add the cream cheese and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and mix in the heavy cream or half-and-half.

Serve over white, brown, or saffron rice, and/or with a pile of crusty bread, such as a French baguette. This soup is sufficiently filling and rich that I don't think it needs a side dish. Goes well with about any type of drink.

Last edited:

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
I'm smitten by Vifon's Instant Phở gà... the huge drawback about them though, like with any instant noodle is that they're high in sodium. Great soup addition if you ask me
There is nothing wrong with high sodium.

Northern Europeans used to eat a huge amount of pickled fish, often consuming in excess of 100g of salt a day.

A little extra salt is fine provided you have functioning kidneys.

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
There is nothing wrong with high sodium.

Northern Europeans used to eat a huge amount of pickled fish, often consuming in excess of 100g of salt a day.

A little extra salt is fine provided you have functioning kidneys.
I'm now making my own Pho. Chicken feet & backs, or ox+bovine bones. Instant pot , herbs and spring water... It's a process.. But so much more rewarding. Vifon has lost its glory

I've found that soups and stews are an underrated component in a healthy diet, and I've tried to incorporate more of them into my eating routine. I mainly use a Dutch oven, but you can use anything, really, although some work better with a pressure cooker. I would be interested in hearing everyone's favorite soup or stew recipe. Below is one that I use. It's not necessarily my favorite, but I like it because it's adaptable to whatever you have on hand:

Basic, thick, vegetable and meat soup:

1. One pound of any kind of meat: bacon, sausage, beef, pork, or chicken. Cut into one-inch squares.
2. One or two chopped onions
3. Several cloves of minced garlic
4. One tablespoon of black pepper and any other spice that you like
5. One can (15 oz) of chicken broth
6. One can of any kind of beans or chickpeas
7. One can of creamed corn (this adds a lot of calories and some sugar, so can be skipped if desired, but you may need to add some water to make sure you have enough broth to cover all the ingredients)
8. Two cups (or more) of chopped carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, butternut squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, or whatever other kind of vegetable you like and have on hand
9. (optional) One cup of instant, brown, long-grain, or white rice

In the Dutch oven, add the first three ingredients with a dash of oil (olive, avocado, coconut, vegetable, or whichever you prefer) and sautee' over medium heat until the meat is browned. If you don't want to have a fatty, greasy broth, drain the liquid.

Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil for a minute or so, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, then let simmer for about 25 minutes to allow all the vegetables and rice to get soft. You can sprinkle chopped chives, green onion, and shredded cheese on top when serving, if desired.

This soup will serve about six people. So, if it's just you, put the excess in tupperware and eat it all later.
"This recipe looks really great. I am sure it will taste amazing when I will try it over this weekend. However, I would like to hsare a simple soup recipe I found on iahas.com and this recipe has full of goodness of Ayurveda.

Comforting Vegetable Soup

This warm, light, and nutritious breakfast soup can be enjoyed with a bowl of amaranth or rice.
You can also add seasonal vegetables of your choice to it and top it with toasted sesame seeds for crunch.

Good for All dosha.

Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Total Time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 2 person (400ml)

Ingredients
2 Carrot, thinly sliced2 Spring onion, thinly sliced1/2 stalk of lemongrass½ cup of mix vegetables3 cups Basic Broth1 Small handful dulse (or any other sea vegetable of your choice)1/2 t black pepper powderSalt to taste (preferably Himalayan salt)

Method
In a large pot, add carrots, onions, mix vegetables, broth, and dulse and bring it to boil over high flame.Bruise the lemongrass stalk and add it to the boiling pot. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium-low flame.Add Salt and Black Pepper and mix well.Serve it hot with rice or amaranth

Serving suggestions
When digestion is low or in winters, whisk a spoonful of miso paste in a small bowl of warm broth and add it into the soup after removing it from the stove."