Fiction book recommendations

Batman_

Woodpecker
Getting tired of all the self-help style books and constant promotion of nonfiction in general. I think men in particular tend to dismiss fiction books as petty entertainment, but I think they provide some real value that is greatly underappreciated.

What are some meaningful, thought-provoking, and interesting fiction books you know of?

Last edited:

Batman_

Woodpecker
The most recent ones I've read that jump out at me are Crime and Punishment and Good Old Neon from Oblivion: Stories.

Last edited:

Aboulia

Sparrow
Dostoyevsky is fantastic, he draws you in, accurately depicts human nature and points to societal problems. Russian literature in general is great, the first Russian book I read was Anna Karenina, which was an initial red-pill on women.

Anton Chekhov - Ward No.6 and Other Stories - (Chekhov was a doctor, and like Dostoyevsky was real insightful on the human condition)

Guy Sajer - The Forgotten Soldier - (it's a German soldier's first hand account of WW2 on the Eastern front) (non-fiction)
CS Lewis - Space Trilogy (Sci-Fi mixed with theology, I've never read a more accurate description of evil than in the 2nd book, Perelandra)
Yukio Mishima - Sea of Fertility Tetralogy (No comment, don't know how to summarize this, Mishima was an interesting character in real life to say the least)

Last edited:
Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin - the life story of a fictitious Russian saint. You'd think it would be dry reading, but it's one of the funniest books I've read.
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein - Heinlein's stories are always a vehicle for his ideas, and this one has some of his best ideas. I've probably read it a hundred times at this point.
Cancer Ward by Alexander Solzhenitsyn - the story of a cancer ward in a Soviet hospital. I found it really captivating, and Solzhenitsyn actually spent time in a Soviet cancer ward so I assume he's pretty accurate in his descriptions.
The Camp of the Saints by Jean Raspail - a prophetic book about the destruction of the West through mass immigration. Raspail's a hardcore French nationalist who knows English but refuses to speak it because he has that much disdain for other cultures, so you know he's legit.
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - one of the best adventure stories I've seen.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Fiction shouldnt be dismissed. Even an excellent story that makes you think is worthwhile. Sometimes I only want to rest, walk my dog, lay on the floor and stretch. I listen to audiobooks then.

The Magus - John Fowles A young man goes to a Greek island and meets something difficult to understand. I have given this novel to at least 10 people and they have then given to others. Every person I know that has read it considers it among the best novels they've read. Far ahead of its time. (4.05 on goodreads) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16286.The_Magus

Hyperion - Dan Simmons Easily the best sci-fi novel out there. A universe connected by portals of instantaneous travel. (4.24 on goodreads) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77566.Hyperion?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=ZlEV5OjDK7&rank=1

Warlock - Oakley Hall Its a western novel, but to consider it only a western is foolish. Its the platonic ideal of a western, about a man attempting to be good in a bad world. (4.28 on goodreads) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/183199.Warlock

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace Get this on audiobook from audible or your local library. The libby app for the phone is very good. Its long but probably the best modern novel and its not difficult in an academic way, just long. All the quirks of life are explored. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6759.Infinite_Jest?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=Go3msYzvzJ&rank=1

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky It took me a few times starting it before it caught one time. Its a dated I think, but still manages to create a lifelike person who goes through hell.

Monty_Brogan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
The Warwolf: A Peasant Chronicle of the Thirty Years War
Der Wehrwolf

A truly amazing "historical novel." It's very dark and there is lots of death and misery, but it really puts into light what is important in life.

And I'm going to go ahead and say the entire Ryanverse -Only the once written by Mr. Clancy. Although it reading it now would make you very nostalgic for what this country once was. Start with Without Remorse, which also happens to be my favorite book out of them all. I think Hunt for Red October would come next. I wish I would've started in that order!

I've always read primarily fiction so a few recommendations.

Hunger - Knut Hamsun - written over 100 years ago but could have been in the last decade. Struggling writer going mad.

Jim Dodge - Fup is a great little book - don't let the premise put you off - a lot going on in there.

Cormac Mccarthy - pretty much anything he has written- Blood Meridian/The Road/No Country/All the pretty horses - a truth master wordsmith.

The Terror - Dan Simmons - historical horror-ish fiction (for want of a better description) and it actually works. Based on the Franklin expedition of which I'm hugely interested in and this was very well done. Simmons has done his research well.

Ron Rash - all his novels/short stories - character led deep South/Appalachian tales - one of my fav. authors - not really Southern Gothic though but sometimes a relief from that genre (of which I'm a great fan) - great stories about human beings and their strengths/failing/idiosyncratic ways.

Bukowski - all his novels/prose. Post office/women are legendary.

Magnus Mills - mostly his early novels - British writer, unique in some ways, hard to describe. ' restraint of beasts' is a good starter.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. A Sci Fi Classic, reportedly Robert Heinlein liked the book a lot.
The Great Gatsby by Scott. F. Fitzgerald. Classic novel, almost flawless.
For whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. Historic War novel.
Post Office by Charles Bukowski. The great American novel for cynics.
Dracula by Bram Stoker. The origin story of Vampire narratives.

Peacock
Gold Member
E. Michael Jones has a very insightful interpretation of Dracula, the vampirism is a proxy for infection from syphilis, which was rampant among men in the 1920s due to soldiers going to brothels and the unprecedented degeneracy in Weimar Germany. When a vampire sucks the blood of his vicitm and infects her, it is like becoming infected with syphilis, which is also a disease of the blood that induces behavioral changes and a kind of dementia.

Cristiano

Charles Bukowski, women. About spinning plates and booze. I'm still half way throught the book.
Please, read some other book.

Mr Bukowski remained unhappy in and after his writing. As you can judge from the following poems:

I am not saying you should not entertain yourself but he is just sharing his grief. Don't find solace in it, learn from him.

Props to the narrator, Mr Bedlam.

Also, try praying for yourself and your loved ones. Forgive me, if I've missed something here.

Check this out if you have the time:

And here's something to cheer you up:

Lastly, do share your comments with me if you have read the book completely. I would like to learn something from it too because I am not completely sure about my judgement so take it with a grain of salt.

I would gladly listen to your complex experiences too so, don't be shy. :D

Thank you,
God bless.

E. Michael Jones has a very insightful interpretation of Dracula, the vampirism is a proxy for infection from syphilis, which was rampant among men in the 1920s due to soldiers going to brothels and the unprecedented degeneracy in Weimar Germany. When a vampire sucks the blood of his vicitm and infects her, it is like becoming infected with syphilis, which is also a disease of the blood that induces behavioral changes and a kind of dementia.

Interesting, I was always fascinated with horror myths being symbolism for diseases.

In fact, now that you mention it, there is even a part in the Dracula novel where after being bitten, the main female protagonist, who is characterised as a virgin with moral character, representing cleanliness and devotion to God, alters her behaviour after being bitten by a vampire at night, suddenly displaying signs of 'lustful arousal' and speaking in a sexualised, deeper voice than before, symbolising the corruption and sexualisation of a once moral character.

In our current age, too many people literally stick out their necks in order to get the vampire bite as fast as possible. I am guilty of that myself and am torn. What does a human do in the land of vampires in order to survive? Turn into a vampire himself.

Reactions: 911

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
The Collected Stories of Nikolai Gogol – Gogol is less popular in the West than Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, or even Chekhov, but he’s a giant in Russia and was a massive influence on all of the writers that came after him. Unfortunately, I think you have to be a little more keyed into the Russian intellectual trends that he was a part of to realize how brilliant he was, but his prose is excellent nonetheless.

A Good Man is Hard to Find – It’s a shame that Flannery O’Connor is less popular with conservatives than Ayn Rand and her autistic materialism. She was a Catholic writer from Georgia who’s work was laced with religion, morality, symbolism, and the grotesque in a way very reminiscent of Dostoevsky. Nearly every short story in this collection is like a punch to the gut. The titular story, “The River”, “Good Country People”, and “The Displaced Person” are probably my personal favorites.

Bonfire of the Vanities – Very red pill, non-PC look at the clown world race relations and overwhelming narcissism already rampant in New York in the late 20th century. It’s also bitingly funny and very well-written. It’s actually kind of shocking to read this one and realize how popular it was, to the point of being made into a movie starring Tom Hanks, given some of the things he says about race in here. I don’t want to spoil the story, but you may be surprised to find out who the “hero” (or sympathetic figure, at least) ends up being.

A Canticle for Leibowitz – This one is a dystopian novel that follows a monastery over the period of a few centuries, as it tries to preserve what little knowledge is left after a nuclear war destroys the US. An excellent critique of materialism and scientism based in Christian anthropology.

We – While I wouldn’t say Huxley and Orwell completely ripped this novel off, as some do, I personally find it more insightful than the more popular dystopian novels that followed it. Not only did it come earlier, but Zamyatin was prophetic based on his own personal observations, whereas degenerates like Huxley were just channeling the actual ideas of the elite circles he was a part of. Zamyatin was also a much better writer.

The Screwtape Letters – Bro, just read it.

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
A plus 1 on Blood Meridian.
Nobody writes like McCarthy, the rare case where the reputation is worth the hype.

Shogun by James Clavell is a masterpiece and is deeply underrated despite how well known it is (because its an historical adventure novel at heart)

World War Z for some amazing quotes and views on human nature and adversity. It is wrote in an interview style from various people after the undead war, incredibly vivid and gripping vignettes. The audiobook is a masterwork and I generally avoid it for fiction.

Wash that awful film adaptation from your mind, it doesnt even remotely capture the air of the novel.

Last edited:
For those Bukowski fans - try the novels of Dan Fante. More Bukowski than Bukowski if you see what I mean.

His dad (John Fante) was a massive inspiration on Bukowski - his stuff is also v.good - 'Ask the Dust' a good starting point.

Both very autobiographical - John's more Italian Catholic family in America trials and tribulations - very readable.
Dan's - drunk doing poorly paid, long hour jobs and getting into a mess with dubious women whilst trying to be a writer.