Fiction book recommendations

Touchdown

William Golding - Lord of the Flies: About a group of kids who become shipwrecked on an island. The differences between Piggy, Jack and Ralph was the most interesting part of the novel. Piggy = smart, but timid. Jack = dumb, but fearless. Ralph = middle-man. It might be absurd to think that kids would go the lengths they do to act how they do in the novel, but it hammers down the point that "man is a political animal by nature" (guy who recommended the book to me described it this way). Only about 200 pages too. Easy read.

Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: I'm not a big fan of motorcycles but this is definitely an interesting read. It's about a man and his son who embark on a lengthy motorcycle tour across the United States along with his buddy and his wife. Along the way he goes into the story of the Greek Philosopher Phaedrus, and really breaks down the question of 'quality'. He makes some very profound statements that really struck a cord with me. It's also about his descent into insanity.

Ray-Bradbury-Fahrenheit-451: Books are now banned in this dystopian future. People watch the idiot box all day after finishing their jobs. The story is about a "fireman" working with other firemen who burn books whenever they are discovered. The main character begins to question the power structures when he begins doing some reading of his own. I can't recommend this one enough. This book is a microcosm of the struggle that every man who peruses RVF know - Watching your friends and family consumed by driveling entertainment, concerned you may know too much to the point of government interference, and your last refuge being a secret place with like-minded men. I put it up there with 1984 and Brave New World in terms of classic dystopian literature.

yeppels

Sparrow
Seconding the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. Probably the best sci-fi book I've read, though the last 2 books weren't quite as captivating.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towels. About a Russian aristocrat who is imprisoned for life in a hotel after the Bolshevik revolution and how he copes with his new reality. Very light and humorous.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Easily one of the best books I've read. Great insight on American life on the west coast in early 20th century and his ability to create very flawed human beings who battle their inner darkness rivals that of Dostoevsky.

Razgriz

Sparrow
I’ve always enjoyed historical fiction

almost all the books by Steven Pressfeild. But foremost I would recommend “The Gates of Fire” to my knowledge this is the only fiction book that was required reading for West Point grads.
Absolutely loved the Khan series and Conquerer series by Conn Igulden about the rise and Fall of Genghis Khan and Julius Ceaser respectively.
And I agree with a lot that have already been posted. Atlas Shrugged, Animal farm, Lord of the Flies...

I’ve also enjoyed most of Tom Clancy’s novels but really only the Jack Ryan series. Haven’t liked anything he “co-wrote”

Lord of the Rings is great too if you are up for it

'The forever war' by Joe Haldeman.

A superb science fiction book written in the 70s about an interstellar war, it even describes future governments promoting homosexuality as a means of population control. Some of the ideas he mentions are prophetic when read from today's viewpoint.

The author is a Vietnam veteran who used fiction writing as a means of dealing with the psychological effects of war. The main character in the book deals with being an outsider due to him time travelling into the future every time him and his fellow soldiers travel into deep space. Due to the relation of time and space, each time they return, hundreds or even thousands of years have passed. This is the analogy he used to describe his own disconnection with American society after he returned from the Vietnam war.

Reportedly Robert Heinlein was a big fan of the book. In my opinion its one of the best Science Fiction Books available. Original, thoughtful, well written.

Sombro

Ostrich
The Far Arena by Richard Sapir. Roman gladiator is unfrozen in modern times. A nun who is fluent in Latin is brought in to communicate with him, and we learn about history and certain historical figures through him. Fascinating book, though out of print.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott. Life in other dimensions, social satire, Victorian hierarchies. The only book I was assigned in a math class. From 1884. PDFs available online.

Childhood's End and A Canticle for Leibowitz -- SF classic must-haves.

The Children's War by J.N. Stroyar. Epic alt-history novel. A Brit enslaved by the Nazis eventually escapes to the Polish resistance. Depressing and humiliating reading for much of its thousand pages, though you cannot put it down.

Fatherland by Robert Harris. Alt-history murder mystery in the Greater German Reich. Note: the Rutger Hauer movie version, while great in itself, has an optimistic ending. The novel most certainly does not.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The Wall by Marlen Haushofer

Its a concept novel. A woman is in the Alps and something happens. She is stuck there, with a giant wall blocking her mountain pass up to the hunting cabin she was in at the time. Its mostly about living in the Alps, by yourself, for a very long time and what that does to someone.

The novel explores loneliness, nature, a monk-like life. Very red-pill, written in the 60s, by a woman no less. Usually female authors are terrible, but I have a feeling this woman actually lived in the Alps for a long time herself.

I listened to the audiobook recently while doing a lot of yard work and found the story very moving and created the right atmosphere for me to consider my own life and loneliness and how that is affecting me.

Highly recommended. Highly rated on Goodreads which is notoriously stingy with good ratings.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/586852.The_Wall

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
A Canticle for Leibowitz -- SF classic must-haves.
Twice I've tried to get into this sci-fi novel and it doesnt work for me. The characters dont have any strong meaning themselves and the story is so off. I get about half-way or 3/5 and put it down, not getting anything from it that couldnt be summed up in a short story.

I'm always looking for good books to listen to and this was on a lot of top lists for classic sci-fi, but didnt like anything about it.

Is the last 1/5 of the book where it pays off?

Harry Black
It was made into a movie called "Harry Black and The Tiger" in the 1950s - both are interesting psychological studies of a WWII combat vet hunting a man-eating tiger.
Many red/black/white pill themes about modern love. The movie was largely purged of the Christian themes, which i guess isn't a surprise

The Terminal List by Jack Carr - ex navy seal. This book is completely politically incorrect red pill, though the subsequent books in the series seems to be drifting towards mainstream media.

Fiction has been largely feminized in the last 50+ years I used to read historical fiction when I was younger but stopped - now I realize it's important for continuing to have stories about our 'archetype' - the problem is of course the archetype in most modern fiction projects the wrong type of archetype.

The Financier by Theodore Dreiser, easily one the most riveting novels I have read and it’s very poignant in its social critique of greed and materialism