Education Finding the Church Jesus Built - Video Lecture Series

PaulC

Robin
This is a video series from the website of St. Elijah Antiochian Orthodox Church. The video format is useful as he makes generous use of the whiteboard. Under the inquirers tab at the top right of the page, they have three more video courses. (The course on the Gospel of John has 58 lectures!)

There is no sign up process. Simply watch the videos you find useful. (I'm not associated with this church. I simply had this in my Orthodox learning bookmarks and thought to share it here.)

https://stelijahokc.com/inquirers/finding-the-church-jesus-built/

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
This is a video series from the website of St. Elijah Antiochian Orthodox Church. The video format is useful as he makes generous use of the whiteboard. Under the inquirers tab at the top right of the page, they have three more video courses. (The course on the Gospel of John has 58 lectures!)

There is no sign up process. Simply watch the videos you find useful. (I'm not associated with this church. I simply had this in my Orthodox learning bookmarks and thought to share it here.)

https://stelijahokc.com/inquirers/finding-the-church-jesus-built/
Watching them now, greatly edifying! Exactly what I needed. Thanks for sharing Paul.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Finished it, encourage everyone who's new in the faith to watch. Even if you're not on the path of Orthodoxy necessarily this will give you great value in the basic tenants of faith and the differences between Catholicism, Protestantism and Orthodoxy.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Jesus didn't build the Orthodox Church.

Men did.

This is pure gnosticism. The King James Bible didn't descend from the sky in 33 AD. The "men" through whom Christ built the Orthodox Church were Christ's apostles and their successors, whose writings we have. Is the Holy Spirit so incompetent, Christ's apostles such monumental screw-ups at appointing successors, that the Church couldn't even survive a single generation before nosediving into pervasive heresy, directly contrary to Christ's promises, only to be resurrected by Ulrich Zwingli 1500+ years later? Give me a break.

God and righteousness can only be found in the heart in communion with God, and also in the company of fellow believers.

You clearly didn't bother to learn much about Orthodoxy before coming in here and pontificating about it, because that's what Orthodox believe.

All else is unnecessary pomp.

And who are you to judge what constitutes "unnecessary pomp?" Who made you Pope?

Perhaps you'll say "it's the plain truth of the Bible!" Yeah, the "plain truth" understanding about things like baptism and the Eucharist that emerged in the 16th century contrary to universal Christian practice for 1.5 millennia. There's no such thing as reading the Bible in a vacuum. Everyone brings interpretative presuppositions to the table, yourself included, your "plain reading" the product of 16th century Europeans utterly detached from the cultural context of the first century. I have far more confidence in the interpretative paradigm of the Church that has a track record of maintaining their beliefs through the ages than 16th-century novelties.