First Sunday of Advent

PineTreeFarmer

Sparrow
Woman
What do you all do for Advent, for those who do anything? We have our wreath but don't 'do' a whole lot so I'm interested in what others do who have perhaps been better at practicing these observances. If you have any resources to share, please do!
We dry roast tree nuts from local trees, make bird feeders with old, dry pinecones for gifts, shoot mistletoe out of the tree, cut paperdoll and snowflake chains... . I know these aren't religious, but they're fun, and fine for the family. ️️It would be fun to pair with topical scripture. We also got frankincense and myrrh incense at Walmart for the kids to smell. Pomander balls also look neat to make, and like they would smell nice and be nice to have through the winter.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Pomander balls also look neat to make, and like they would smell nice and be nice to have through the winter.
These are really fun to make and the kids love this activity plus they smell sooo good. You can wrap a ribbon around them and keep them hung up after Christmas, eventually they dry out and can be kept for years. Tip: use a wall nail to poke a hole for the cloves to go into.
1452645714302.jpeg

Another fun activity to do is graham cracker ginger bread houses. Instead of making gingerbread walls (which is kind of a pain), use graham crackers and decorate like a gingerbread house.
IMG_9917a.jpg

Last edited:

Gracie

Sparrow
Woman
We've picked a few scriptures to go through with my 5 year old son. He has some behavioural challenges so it takes a while but we're going through them line by line and explaining what it means... This first Sunday was Isaiah 9:2, 6-7; 40:3-5; 52:7

We talked about faith, what it meant to have faith that Jesus would be coming according to prophesy, and what it means waiting and hoping that God would keep his promise. Even touched on baptism. Trying to keep it at his level. He lit the Advent candle in our wreath.

He's with us every second week so we'll have to do some of them on Mondays or double-up our Sunday candles some weeks.