Food prep kits and prepper discussion

Vasily Martian

Sparrow
Orthodox
Guys, I just found out about this amazing survival food the other day. Sorry if it's already been mentioned above. It's called pemmican and it consists of dried, powdered meat and fat, and is said to last without refrigeration for anywhere between 5 to 50 years! The link below won't be a bad place to start exploring this pemmican, with easy to follow instructions and videos.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
My prepper food list looks like this.

25 lbs flour, I have a sourdough starter so bread is no issue
25 lbs rice
40 lbs oatmeal
66 lbs myprotein whey powder
Several pounds of clarified butter and more regular butter in the fridge
Alexapure countertop gravity fed water filter

I could do the pemmican thing but in my experience, I cant see myself eating rendered fat on a frequent basis. Each pound is roughly 225 g protein and 225 g fat which IIRC looks like 3000 calories. So the average human could get by eating 3/4 of a pound of it per day.

With a biltong box, a crockpot, a blender, and molds to mash the pemmican into, you could make a very large quantity of it in not a lot of time.

If I had to "upgrade" my current setup it would involve a biltong box or dehydrator (which I have) and a vacuum sealer to make lots of jerky, then just have jars to store more rendered fat and dip it like chips. Then I'd have to both eat and make jerky on a semi regular basis in order to have a rotating stock that doesnt risk spoilage.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
Question: I’d like to stock up on some candles as a short to intermediate term lighting solution at night. Any recommendations on how to get the best bang for my buck? I’m not necessarily looking for cheapest up front cost; I want the lowest cost per unit of burn time.

Buy your own rope for wicks and render beef fat bought from the butcher, or save your own trimmings from buying whole cuts of meat. Lots of places throw away the fat for free or sell it for $1 a pound.

If you dont have a crockpot, just throw the trimmings in a covered dish and bake at 225ish F until it is a liquid, filter the fat through a strainer and pour that liquid fat into a container about an inch lower that your wick. If you want you can add your own fragrances but if its just a functional light source youre after its hard to beat homemade for the price. A half pint jar lasts ten hours. If youre paying a dollar a pound for fat thats a little over 50 cents a candle not counting the cost of the wick.

Pointy Elbows

Kingfisher
Orthodox
For me, bugging "out" to the boonies is a low-likelihood option for many reasons. I would have to bug "in" - to a most favorable nearby local in my area, and I am moving there presently.

Some recent/accomplished preps:

- good start on friendly neighbors, one of which is well-known to me
- walking/cycling distance to church and basic supplies
- Stocked enough flour and yeast to make 1 loaf of bread per week per person, through winter
- 20+ jars of jellies made
- pickled some peppers for Vitamin C and flavor
- stocked vitamins and basic meds thru winter
- established relationship with a rancher for enough beef through winter. He harvests in October.
- acquired some heirloom seeds
- saved jars for pickling and jelly
- 1/2 cord of cooking firewood, various quality and sources
- purchased a small iron stove at yard sale
- gun stuff is good
- kitchen utensils are ok
- 4 boxes of matches from dollar store
- couple old propane tanks with a burner fitting
- some canned goods on discount
- A dozen+ candles for $0.25 each, miscellaneous sizes, at a yard sale.
- Clothing is ok. I keep old work clothes, even if they are worn, so we can make it through any winter in this region
- Home is small, simple, well insulated, but in a safer area surrounded by the right type of people
- old but serviceable fire extinguishers
- several rolls of barbed wire and concertina wire leftover from construction sites
- used buckets, paint cans and potting soil for specialty planting
- some hand tools
- basic hygiene supplies
- old but good walkie-talkies

Prep ideas I am pursuing (budget and time willing):

- stock enough vinegar and pickling supplies to put up a full season of tomatoes, cukes, eggs, etc
- get stocks to hand-dig a well (recently moved to a low water table level):

^fun video that shows a shallow well being dug, plus "divining" for water. Divining seems like baloney, but my grandfather was reputedly good at it. Worth a try.
- Improve firewood stockpile (if it burns, it can go into the iron stove and heat a covered pot)
- Get a roto-tiller for spring garden
- Improve fence line and security on property
- Develop better skills like gardening, smoking meat, canning all foods
- chicken coop, maybe goat/s
- More powdered milk, get powdered cheese and eggs somewhere
- trapping supplies
- cheap but good storage for extra supplies (used plastic/glass/crockery containers)
- plant some hardy fruit trees
- set out rainwater barrels
- an old, durable, manual sewing machine
- more insecticide

Prep sources:

- Yard sales, estate sales, auctions. All are fun, priced right, and can lead to good connections for personal and business.
- Dollar stores are still good buys
- Almost exclusively shopping on discount/coupon
- craigslist (free is surprisingly productive in my area)
- 2d hand and goodwill stores
- antique shops often have goodwill-type sections
- closest nurseries to your home. They know what grows and doesn't grow.
- On many yard sales, I have found that the seller is more generous if I am a little generous. If the total comes to $17 and I offer a $20 and say "no change needed," they will often offer me something more valuable than the $3 change.

Last edited: