Forum "Lounge" - Everything goes!

bucky

Ostrich
Btw the last conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn occurred in 1563 and the next one will happen 7541. So many people never had this happen in their lifetimes.

(Edit: I got the date wrong its 1623). Enjoy the video:
Did you go somewhere with good viewing and see it? I got home late from going out to see Christmas lights around town with my family last night and read your posts about it. Thought about going out again to see if I could see it, but I was pretty tired and plus with all the city light where I live I'm not sure I would have seen much. Probably would have been awesome if I'd been out in the desert somewhere.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
Btw the last conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn occurred in 1563 and the next one will happen 7541. So many people never had this happen in their lifetimes.
There is a conjunction every 20 years, although this one is exceptionally close. There will be another nearly as close in 2080. This one was about .1 degrees apart, and the 2080 conjunction will be about .1 degrees apart, but slightly more than last night.

So, last night was fairly exceptional, but not staggeringly so. It was also nice to have it on the Winter Solstice, so close to Christmas.

I was able to see it last night from a dark field. I didn't have a telescope or binoculars with me though. It changed pretty quickly. When I first saw it, Saturn was at about 2 o'clock from Jupiter, and by the time they both set below the horizon (20 minutes later), Saturn was already a little more than 3 o'clock with respect to Jupiter, and you could see that the gap was larger.

They didn't come close to merging into a single bright point. It was always perfectly obvious that they were two separate light points. Still, it's pretty amazing to see them lined up like this.

Last edited:

bucky

Ostrich
There is a conjunction every 20 years, although this one is exceptionally close. There will be another nearly as close in 2080. This one was about .1 degrees apart, and the 2080 conjunction will be about .1 degrees apart, but slightly more than last night.

So, last night was fairly exceptional, but not staggeringly so. It was also nice to have it on the Winter Solstice, so close to Christmas.
Well, that's a relief. I might still be around in 2080 and, with any luck, reliable electrical power will be a rarity by then, so viewing will probably be great, unless it's cloudy. With my luck, it'll be cloudy.

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
Did you go somewhere with good viewing and see it? I got home late from going out to see Christmas lights around town with my family last night and read your posts about it. Thought about going out again to see if I could see it, but I was pretty tired and plus with all the city light where I live I'm not sure I would have seen much. Probably would have been awesome if I'd been out in the desert somewhere.

No my area was pretty cloudy. And I had to watch the Mandalorian Season 2 with my family member. So I missed out.

Only watched a stream of the Conjunction over Youtube.

acco

Kingfisher
Mark Dice asks San Diego beachgoers if they will sign a petition in support of the "police state" that includes tactics like "Orwellian" and "Nazi-style" to "keep Americans safe" in this "brave new world".

Peacock
Gold Member
Esle2QpXMAEoGaY