Forum "Lounge" - Everything goes!

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
HFWSAI4.gif

Viktor Zeegelaar

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
Women sure were dressed modestly back then.

The high street of pretty much any Western city (maybe outside the dead of winter) would look like a red light district to a time traveller from the 1890s.

Edit: pretty much any street.
I was thinking exactly the same. I love the formality, the formal dressing. So clear what the boundaries were, what your position in society was. I think it does look a lot more ''diverse'' than nowadays, where everyone is just walking around informally, in the same meaningless clothing, ''easy'' clothing. If you see there how the train arrives and it is a serious happening, compare that with now where a train arrives, you step out without emotion, no one waiting for you, telephone in your hand, not even aware or conscious of your environment, masked up like a slave. Times have changed.

I was thinking exactly the same. I love the formality, the formal dressing. So clear what the boundaries were, what your position in society was. I think it does look a lot more ''diverse'' than nowadays, where everyone is just walking around informally, in the same meaningless clothing, ''easy'' clothing. If you see there how the train arrives and it is a serious happening, compare that with now where a train arrives, you step out without emotion, no one waiting for you, telephone in your hand, not even aware or conscious of your environment, masked up like a slave. Times have changed.
I remember reading some opinion piece in a liberal news outlet early in "pandemic," a woman who loved the mask mandates because she finally felt sheltered for the first time from the oppressively sexualizing male gaze. She didn't seem to realize that the face is a part of the body the open display of which needn't invite leering stares (or that women also have a responsibility not to provoke male desire, just as men have a responsibility to control it).

MartyMcFly

Woodpecker
I remember reading some opinion piece in a liberal news outlet early in "pandemic," a woman who loved the mask mandates because she finally felt sheltered for the first time from the oppressively sexualizing male gaze. She didn't seem to realize that the face is a part of the body the open display of which needn't invite leering stares (or that women also have a responsibility not to provoke male desire, just as men have a responsibility to control it).
I thought burqas were invented a long time ago for women that want to avoid scary 'male gaze.' Another option is to become a land whale as many modern women have done although you might attract stares for different reasons with these 2 options, at least they won't be stares of desire.

Talus

Sparrow
Fascinating!

Comparing that refined, vibrant, magnanimous society to our own is just shocking. The sense of homogenous community is apparant in every scene in that video.

And to think, 20-25 years after that video, their world was being ushered into the 'Great Reset' of their time. WW1. Their fall from that world, into the world after the Great War, must have been devastating for anyone who lived through that whole transformation. It makes what we are going through now seem trivial. Granted, our reset has only just begun, and sadly, we dont' have as far to fall.