Forum will be upgraded to new software on May 4, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roosh

Cardinal
After twelve years on Mybb, the time has come to change forum software to Xenforo, which has more features and is better maintained by its developers. I will be making this change on Monday, May 4 starting around 11am EST. The forum will be offline until the job is complete, about 3-8 hours. All forum posts, private messages, and attachments will be transferred over.

Here are a few new features you'll encounter after the upgrade:

-Ability to tag a member in a post
-Better mobile support
-Option to enable mobile push notifications
-Two-factor authentication
-Automatic embed of YouTube and Twitter (simply post the link)
-Better private message system
-Dark mode theme

You can get a feel for the new software by going to the Xenforo Community forum.

The forum will come back online in a basic state. Then I will spend the following weeks to fine-tune the software and settings. There will be an opportunity for you to request changes or features.

Up to now, the forum has had only a couple of subforums where most of the action has taken place. Everything Else, for example, would fill up quickly with many different topics. After the upgrade, I plan on creating several more subforums where we can have more focused discussions.

I anticipate some members will prefer the old software, but since that version has reached its end of life and is no longer being maintained, it will become obsolete on web servers that introduce new versions of PHP. The change has to be made and we can't leave things as they are.

I've been test driving the new software for the past couple of days and am really impressed with it. I'm sure it will be seen as a much-needed upgrade by most of the membership.

Are the names and date really going to take up that much space? Feels like too much scrolling. Additionally, the borderless corners gives off an off putting informal vibe. I don't know what to say about the emojis and thumbs ups except, I quit Facebook ages ago with 13 others.

Thank you Roosh for making the transfer. Besides the security upgrade, those are some welcome features you mentioned. Thank you for importing all the old data, as there's quite a treasure trove to keep around!

Roosh

Cardinal
Another cool feature I just learned of is private messaging with multiple people at the same time, and if you're in a conversation with someone, you can invite someone else to join.

Brewer

Pigeon
Will "likes" on old posts migrate over?

Also, the current color scheme is easier on the eyes IMO - maybe you could tweak the Xenforo scheme to be similar.

After thinking this through, I think I'll be able to cope if I can still be a Robin.

Edit: Is this change in forum symbolic to the world after the pandemic?

Thank you

Roosh

Cardinal
Siberian Liger said:
Roosh said:
Brewer said:

No.

Will reputation points transfer over??

No. The new software doesn't have reputation points, only points from how many likes your posts get, but you can leave comments on a user's profile that is similar to the reputation system here.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The old forum should still be visible on Archive.org's Wayback Machine too, so you can also go that route for seeing old posts.

Peacock
Gold Member
It would be great if there could be a video imbed function for uncucked alternatives to youtube like Bitchute, Archive.org, Dlive.

Rob Banks

Pelican
Roosh said:
Siberian Liger said:

No. The new software doesn't have reputation points, only points from how many likes your posts get, but you can leave comments on a user's profile that is similar to the reputation system here.

I am a fan of the current reputation points system where you can rep other members and when you look at someone's reputation details, you can see how highly repped the members who repped them are.

Just leaving comments on a user's profile won't be the same.

Roosh

Cardinal
There will be a subforum where members can request features, but on day 1 it won't be an exact clone.

Repo

Hummingbird
Roosh said:
Siberian Liger said:
Roosh said:
Brewer said:

No.

How about the ability to dislike? That can make it easier vocalize disagreement without spiraling into an argument that derails threads

Roosh

Cardinal
^^ There is an angry reaction option.

When it comes to features, hang tight until Monday and then you can check it out yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.