Forum will be upgraded to new software on May 4, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
On the chance that the new software requires you to re-enter your login details it might pay for people to make sure they still remember their password. I was lucky to remember mine after nearly a year of having never had to enter it. Try to open your account on another browser just to make sure your password is what you think it is.

It will be a lot easier for Roosh to sort out who's real and who's phishing if he gets a password request from your actual account via PM. This may also save him a deluge of emails on day one (possibly from fakers) asking for a password reset.

Roosh

Cardinal
Leonard D Neubache said:
On the chance that the new software requires you to re-enter your login details it might pay for people to make sure they still remember their password. I was lucky to remember mine after nearly a year of having never had to enter it. Try to open your account on another browser just to make sure your password is what you think it is.

It will be a lot easier for Roosh to sort out who's real and who's phishing if he gets a password request from your actual account via PM. This may also save him a deluge of emails on day one (possibly from fakers) asking for a password reset.

You can always use the "Forget your password" option, but if you don't have access to the email address you registered with, you'll have to register a new account with a new username.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
I really don`t like this! (No offense to Roosh or anyone else.) The whole legacy of the forum is based on the layout/aesthetics, the rep. point system, the likes etc. It`s the whole feel of the forum that will be missed I think.

RVF is/was like an old house, full of various rooms, all with their own charm and character. In one you might find a couple of guys in suits sipping brandy, chewing on big cigars and debating politics and economics. In the basement a few guys might be working on their fitness in the house gym. In yet another room, women/sex might discussed...and so on. I`m afraid that the old RVF house might be torn down and be replaced with a sterile, cubicle filled modern office building, and that the essence of the forum will be lost forever with this change.

[attachment=43757]
#LetItStand

If there`s one thing that we need at this moment in time, it`s some continuity and preservation of traditions and associated ideas. A rugged and old fashioned place where generally smart and individualistically minded men can be free to talk and exchange ideas and experiences. RVF has been just such a place. So I humbly request that we let the old house stand as it is. The value lost might not be realized until it`s too late. (As often is the case.)

Attachments

• oldhouse.jpg
    oldhouse.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 489

Roosh

Cardinal
Leonard D Neubache said:
The one we registered with or the one currently listed in our CP?

I'm not sure I even remember the address I registered with.

I meant the current one in your User CP. As long as you change it to an active email of yours, you shouldn't have any problems to log into the new forum.

Roosh

Cardinal
Johnnyvee said:
I`m afraid that the old RVF house might be torn down and be replaced with a sterile, cubicle filled modern office building, and that the essence of the forum will be lost forever with this change.

The old RVF is dead. Good riddance. I hope that no one will remember what this community used to be about. If you're still hanging on to the sex lifestyle, I don't think you'll stick around. This is a forum for Christian men now.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Roosh said:
Johnnyvee said:
I`m afraid that the old RVF house might be torn down and be replaced with a sterile, cubicle filled modern office building, and that the essence of the forum will be lost forever with this change.

The old RVF is dead. Good riddance. I hope that no one will remember what this community used to be about. If you're still hanging on to the sex lifestyle, I don't think you'll stick around. This is a forum for Christian men now.

I was never really that into the sex lifestyle in the first place. But you could have discussions about that subject also, maybe in a more marriage related context. What I was really talking about was the diverse set of subjects that...well, my comment speaks for itself.

I think it`s a mistake to kill of the old RVF. (Again, no offense, but we`ll just have to disagree on that subject). Being reborn doesn`t mean you have to burn your house and your city to the ground.

Roosh

Cardinal
I think it`s a mistake to kill of the old RVF. (Again, no offense, but we`ll just have to disagree on that subject). Being reborn doesn`t mean you have to burn your house and your city to the ground.

Frankly, I don't want to hear it. Many members like you have been endlessly complaining about my decisions in the past year and my patience has worn thin. This is how it's going to be. This thread is for announcing the upgrade, not to elicit more complaining. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but there are many alternative forums you can join or start one yourself. I hope that you do enjoy the new forum.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Roosh said:

Frankly, I don't want to hear it. Many members like you have been endlessly complaining about my decisions in the past year and my patience has worn thin. This is how it's going to be. This thread is for announcing the upgrade, not to elicit more complaining. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but there are many alternative forums you can join or start one yourself. I hope that you do enjoy the new forum.

I`ve written maybe 3-4 critical comments on forum changes, (tops) and they`ve all been pretty measured.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Johnnyvee said:
Roosh said:

I`ve written maybe 3-4 critical comments on forum changes, (tops) and they`ve all been pretty measured.

Well if you read the first post in this thread you would see its simply an end of life cycle software issue. Its not even an issue of "keeping the old house standing", its an issue that it will become obsolete one day and Roosh is simply taking the steps now rather than later to continue to future proof the forums for us.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Zenta said:
Johnnyvee said:
Roosh said:

Well if you read the first post in this thread you would see its simply an end of life cycle software issue. Its not even an issue of "keeping the old house standing", its an issue that it will become obsolete one day and Roosh is simply taking the steps now rather than later to continue to future proof the forums for us.

No point in debating this anymore, I disagree totally with that assessment, end of story!

Geomann180

Ostrich
Gold Member
Will previously banned members be allowed to register on the new forum? Will they get a second chance there?

G

Caduceus

Pelican
Roosh,

At this stage what's the need to migrate a single thread over at all ?
Just migrate user accounts and nothing else.

Start a new forum with a clean slate and 0 threads and let it grow from there.
Perhaps even change the name of the forum itself.
Why keep any of the old baggage ?

LINUX

Ostrich
Gold Member
Caduceus said:
Roosh,

At this stage what's the need to migrate a single thread over at all ?
Just migrate user accounts and nothing else.

Start a new forum with a clean slate and 0 threads and let it grow from there.
Perhaps even change the name of the forum itself.
Why keep any of the old baggage ?

12+ years worth of post and google indexing on various topics.

If you start a brand new forum, no one will ever visit it, or find it, and it will die. Many of the PUA and traveling guys tried it and failed after the forum went a different direction.

That's partly why no forum will ever be what this forum once was for traveling and meet-ups. Most people found this place using google searches, being pointed here, saw that it was active, so they joined. That wouldn't happen on a new forum without content.

A forum is only as good as its content and traffic and this one has brought many men to it by having outstanding content over the years, from Scotian helping hundreds of guys to get jobs in the oil sands making 6 figures, to Lizard of Oz helping people stop drinking, as well as many others. People will still search out those topics for many years to come, as well as the other 1.3 million post that are still left on the forum database which google could use to point people here.

EvanWilson

Kingfisher
Gold Member
A discussion on updates, upgrades and transitions/migrate.

In general, in recent years no one likes to migrate to completely new systems. Usually, older systems have been developed to the point they are computer program 'bug free' and users of those systems know how to use them to get work done or the information needed. Support is usually also easier since the problems are know and what to do to fix them are known.

There was a time in the past, like 1980s and 1990s, that people usually looked forward to an upgrade or transition/migration because the newer system would give them some ability or feature within a program that the user really needed or wanted.

Updates I would classify as being bug fixes to a program.
Upgrades I would classify as being a major change in a program, such as a new data format, or major additional functions and modules.

In my own experience:
Going from DOS to Windows 3.1 was initially 'a pain' because all of the additional hard disk space and memory needed; however once there was a large installed base people seemed better off since a lot of keys or functions were standard between programs. As an example: Almost everyone knows that in any program CTRL + P will print, CTRL + C will copy, CTRL + V will paste; etc. People don't have to leave a set of new commands to do the basics.

Going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 or Windows 98. The install took a while but the big benefit was more memory became available for the programs, which DOS had memory limitations on. Also easier to keep the systems running. Another good thing that started was PCI bus where cards would be autoamtically assigned and interrupt (IRQ) and base memory address without having to change jumper settings or switches on a computer card or run a software program to configure the computer card. With the earlier machines and DOS there were all kinds of problems as people filled up all of the card slots on a machine and ran out of base memory and IRQ locations to run put things on. The other hardware item that showed up was USB (Universal Serial Bus) bus. That also made things a lot easier to install, things just plugged into a hub or a port on the machine, and would usually be recognized by the system for installation of any needed drivers. USB also eliminated the problems of having to set serial line speed, specifying data and error bits, what serial (COM) port or parallel (LPT) port to use. You would just select the device and be able to use it.

Windows XP - Made a lot of improvements with the interface, plus last well over a decade. When Windows 7 came out, many people did not want to change but had no choice since after a while programs like TurboTax would not run on it. At first Windows 7 seemed to have all kinds of strange problems, especially with network connections where it did not seem to recognize the connection, but after service pack 1 these problems seemed to stop and was seemed to be even more stable than Windows XP.

Windows 10 - Seems to be a windows 7 improvement but works just as well and, in my experience, seems 'ok' but does the same stuff as Windows 7. I would have been perfectly fine staying with Windows XP or Windows 7.

Over time there have been some 'dead end' Microsoft operating systems, that people who upgraded to probably wished they have not:
Windows ME: Had problems connecting to networks and never seemed to properly run software, especially in compatibility mode for older software.
Windows Vista - seemed to have various problems that people usually solved by staying on Windows 7

I remember in the 1990s that it seemed like most software was upgraded almost every year, to the point where software versions were called or referred to by the year. While this was good for the companies making the software, since it generated all kinds of sales and support, it was usually a nightmare for the support staff and users since a lot of times the software was rushed out the door with all kinds of problems. Towards the end of the decade there were a number of software lines that were having all kinds of problems from support staff and users constantly running around trying to keep things running.

In recent years some of that has moderated since most companies do not want to be spending all kinds of time and money on constantly upgrading software and hardware; people want to put something into place that will just run and is stable.

In my own experience while I make money on major upgrades I usually tend towards trying to NOT upgrade or migrate since I do not want to take something that is working and ok, and end up stuck in something new that may not work.

Unfortunately, there are times when things change, or will no longer be supported, and one has no choice but to make the journey to something new. I try to avoid making large changes even though I can make a lot of money because I don't like the risk of ruining something that was working.

With this forum, I had hope, initially, that maybe the problem could be solved with more and faster hardware, which I inquired about in other postings. Some people have recognize these solutions as a 'brute force' with hardware; but as it turns out the problem seems to be more with the software itself and not something that more or faster hardware can overcome. (For a number of years it was thought that Intel hardware was overcoming shortcomings in Microsoft's programming in its Windows line since without the 'latest and greatest' CPU for speed, Windows seemed kind of sluggish and slow to run.)

The other part of the problem is that MyBBS seems to be not really being properly supported or updated anymore, so as time goes on, and PHP versions are not available on hosts to run MYBBS, there will probably develop more and worse problems with the MYBBS software.

Now is a good time to migrate. MYBBS has been used for a number of years here so if there was a reasonable solution to fix the problems it would be know by now. There is also a solution today to migrate most of what is here to the new platform, so this would be a good time to make that change while this MYBBS to the new platform is somewhat supported and possible.

While everything can't be migrated over, there is the possibility that maybe once the new platform is up and running that some kind of replacement or substitute for any functionality can be found, or maybe developed over time.

The important thing is to get over from the current platform to the new platform, as much as possible, and then see what can be done 'in the new house'.

It sounds like Roosh has already run a successful test migration to ensure that everything that can be migrated is migrated, so I expect sometime on Monday evening we will all be able to take a look and see where things are. (As a side note, I am somewhat surprised that Roosh was able to get to this point so fast, I had expected it would be several weeks before a live migration would be possible.)

Roosh will the new forum support Unicode posts so we can paste in emoticons and not have them converted to question marks?

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I agree with linux. Without a base to build on, new content would be like dust in the wind.

But ultimately Roosh is just one man running an operation that takes a great deal of time in moderation-hours alone, and for virtually no monetary reward. People liken this forum to a nice old house but they're not the ones trying to fix the salt-damp or bleach the never-ending mold on the ceiling. They just turn up, have a jolly time, crash for the night and leave the next morning.

The only person who knows whether the forum is viable or how to keep it so is Roosh, because he is ultimately responsible for his own life, not just the uninterrupted continuation of this forum.

Rob Banks

Pelican
LINUX said:
12+ years worth of post and google indexing on various topics.
A forum is only as good as its content and traffic and this one has brought many men to it by having outstanding content over the years, from Scotian helping hundreds of guys to get jobs in the oil sands making 6 figures, to Lizard of Oz helping people stop drinking, as well as many others. People will still search out those topics for many years to come, as well as the other 1.3 million post that are still left on the forum database which google could use to point people here.

That is, until Google decides to change their algorithms to no longer direct people to the forum.

I'm surprised they haven't done so already.

Status
Not open for further replies.