Freaky experience

peacemom

Pigeon
Woman
Catholic
Hanging out with my family for the fourth of July, my mom brought up a viral trend on TikTok (yes, my mother has a TikTok, it's devastatingly embarrassing.) Anyways, the trend is called the "tree challenge" and involves the person asking a tree to touch them, usually on the shoulder. I was chuckling while everyone was talking about it, obviously thinking it sounded ludicrous. Later we decided to try it for fun just being silly; I went first.

Guys, the tree literally started sniffing/feeling about in the air and the branch bent down slowly and steadily over the course of 1 minute and touched me. We got it on video, which I won't post for privacy reasons, but it was seriously the freakiest thing I have experienced in a long time. I tried it on another tree and same effect. You can easily find other people trying it online to see what I'm talking about. Any thoughts on what might be going on here? My mind is so boggled. It's like, maybe there's things going on we don't understand, or maybe there's a logical explanation...thoughts?

Example of what I mean here...

Bird

Pelican
Catholic
"asking a tree to touch them, usually on the shoulder."

Does that work with any language or is it recommended to ask them in English?

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Looks like magic or something demonic, if it is not being faked of course (which i imagine is not too hard to do). Would be interested to see other examples but can't imagine this is anything benevolent. It will deceive people into thinking there are 'forces of nature' that must be respected or worshipped, leading them to neo-paganism and away from God.

peacemom

Pigeon
Woman
Catholic
"asking a tree to touch them, usually on the shoulder."

Does that work with any language or is it recommended to ask them in English?
That's what had me laughing at first, I'm like what are the chances a tree understands English particularly? I tried it and it worked, speaking English.

Jive Turkey

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
Maybe nature can understand us. Lately i have seen several videos on YouTube where people say very specific things to their cats or dogs and they understand. IE "look behind you" "look out the window" and the animal does exactly that.

Or where they will say something like "Hey so just so you know you're not having dinner tonight" and the dog starts growling. I was actually going to post about it in the weird things thread. There may be some change going on where the nature of reality is shifting. Or it may all be a coincidence. Or it may be demonic.

I would say talk to your priest about this and don't do it again. Paranormal activity is real. We as Christians know this. Very interesting though. Thank you for sharing.

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Maybe nature can understand us. Lately i have seen several videos on YouTube where people say very specific things to their cats or dogs and they understand. IE "look behind you" "look out the window" and the animal does exactly that.

Or where they will say something like "Hey so just so you know you're not having dinner tonight" and the dog starts growling. I was actually going to post about it in the weird things thread. There may be some change going on where the nature of reality is shifting. Or it may all be a coincidence. Or it may be demonic.

I would say talk to your priest about this and don't do it again. Paranormal activity is real. We as Christians know this. Very interesting though. Thank you for sharing.

Yes I understand the initial curiosity, and it definitely piqued my interest. How many requests could the tree fulfill though? "Hey Mr. Tree, tickle my belly!" It easily becomes absurd. But i won't deny there's a connection there, it's probably just not worth chasing.

Dog's are very intuitive though and have some kind of deep connection to humans, so that doesn't surprise me. Although dogs may have retained something from the Pre-fallen state of things. In the Garden before the Fall, the entire Creation was peaceful, including the animals we now see as being vicious or violent. Here's a great link i found with lots of pictures of animals with Orthodox priests and monks, alongside various quotations, the first one here being the most well-known example of St Seraphim of Sarov:

Edit: I found this not long after too from St Paisios:

Last edited:

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
The skeptic in me just goes...

hmm... so we reach the age of Tik-Tok and suddenly, trees hear/understand/reply to us? In other words, I think it's fake. Of course, that doesn't explain your experience, OP. I don't personally jump to the demonic realm... but I do think there's a natural explanation. Coincidence; imagination; confirmation bias, etc.

peacemom

Pigeon
Woman
Catholic
The skeptic in me just goes...

hmm... so we reach the age of Tik-Tok and suddenly, trees hear/understand/reply to us? In other words, I think it's fake. Of course, that doesn't explain your experience, OP. I don't personally jump to the demonic realm... but I do think there's a natural explanation. Coincidence; imagination; confirmation bias, etc.
Right. I think if one were to try and invoke supernatural powers to talk to a creature whether it be a dog or a plant then it would be 100% bad news but I don't think this necessarily crosses spiritual lines. We all know God's creations are amazing that's not new.

peacemom

Pigeon
Woman
Catholic
Sister in law sent me a video of her doing it and same response, the tree branch came to her shoulder.

Question, is this fundamentally different than asking a dog to sit, come, lay down etc? People aren't trying to invoke the paranormal in these situations with their pets. I certainly wasn't trying to so either because it's very wrong and dangerous.

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant

I agree when it comes to animals. It seems some people think animals are idiots but that is far from the truth. They are intelligent in a different way. Especially not the normal pets or food you eat. You’d be surprised how smart those animals are. Especially the females! Fun story our monstrous cage of about 10 female rats escaped 3 times but the males were stuck looking at them like help! We had to find them all. They were having a great time exploring. Each time something else was done to the cage and they still got out. Not dumb if you ask me.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I just watched a different person doing it on youtube. It seemed plain that the breeze moved the tree; first the girl was saying, "No, tree, that's my face, please touch my shoulder." It took like four minutes for the tree to "touch her shoulder". But it's not that weird; her shoulder and face were both right in line with the branch.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Personally, I don't think demons or evil spirits are involved, as the Bible makes it fairly clear that Satan's minions are generally blocked from possessing animals and plants. Remember Matthew 8:30-31 and Matthew 5:13: "And the demons begged him, saying, ‘If you cast us out, send us away into the herd of pigs,’”. So, Jesus gave his permission, “And the unclean spirits came out and entered the pigs; and the herd, numbering about two thousand, rushed down the steep bank into the sea and drowned in the sea."

I watched some of the videos on YouTube and most of them don't get an immediate reaction from the tree. In one, the tree branch doesn't start moving for almost two minutes and doesn't go all the way to her shoulder. In another, it's obviously the strong breeze blowing it around. Some of the trees involved may be more aware than others, as that certainly happens in the animal kingdom and may also be true for the plant kingdom. Seems fairly harmless to me unless you start taking it too far such as obsessing about it.

Pray_Everyday

Robin
Woman
Other Christian
Question, is this fundamentally different than asking a dog to sit, come, lay down etc?

Just my opinion, but I would say there is a difference, as animals have been known to understand and respond to verbal commands, like trained dogs or horses, or even getting a cat to respond to its name or a parrot to repeat words. These creatures have a brain, unlike plants or even primitive "animals" like insects and sea sponges.

People aren't trying to invoke the paranormal in these situations with their pets. I certainly wasn't trying to so either because it's very wrong and dangerous.

I know you weren't trying, but the problem with some of these tictoc/internet challenges is that people can be deceived into getting involved with the paranormal even though that is not their plan. (A similar thing would be how by wearing a mask people inadvertently participated in an "occult ritual", when all they thought they were doing was obeying cdc guidelines) People sometimes unwittingly participate in "rituals", and often get very defensive after the fact if told about it (not saying  you, just people in general and I've been guilty of this as well).

Then I would take into account that these "challenges" may not have an organic/grassroots origin - could potentially occultists be behind the propagation of these challenges? Where did the idea first come from to the person who started this "challenge"? Those are the kinds of things I would be on the lookout for.

I was curious when I first read your post, so I did a web search hoping someone out there had written about this (I'm not a video person, though I did watch the video you posted). Anyway, I found a website of some lady who was writting about "communicating with tree spirits". The fact that a couple paragraphs later she goes on into more obvious occult themes like "channeling spirit guides" was basically a confirmation to me that this is a doorway to occultism.

Even this particular "challenge" were to be a hoax - though you did try it, and it worked, so that would mean otherwise - I would wonder if it would be a gateway to a person next deciding to communicate with other beings.

Again, this is just my opinion, but there is something about this that sets off an alarm for me.

TheosisSeeker

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
It's a hoax. If you try it multiple times on a non windy day or with a houseplant it won't work.

Plants do respond to vibrations and sound and will grow faster if you talk or play music for them though.

You can tell from the woman in the video, the freaked out reaction is so obviously contrived.

Last edited:

Easy_C

Peacock
I know you weren't trying, but the problem with some of these tictoc/internet challenges is that people can be deceived into getting involved with the paranormal even though that is not their plan. (A similar thing would be how by wearing a mask people inadvertently participated in an "occult ritual", when all they thought they were doing was obeying cdc guidelines) People sometimes unwittingly participate in "rituals", and often get very defensive after the fact if told about it (not saying  you, just people in general and I've been guilty of this as well).
Specifics on the occult ritual?