Free download of "200 Years Together" by Solzhenitsyn

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
I used this link to download a pdf copy of 200 Years Together by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

This book is extremely difficult to get, and I was not aware it had ever been translated into English. I have to wonder if this is a genuine translation, so if anyone has a way to verify this, much appreciated. The length is about right - 796 pages. It's hard to imagine someone dedicated enough to write a forgery that long but the possibility of edits slipping their way into the text here and is very real.

Overall this should be an interesting exploration. I would post the PDF here but the file is too large.

Last edited:

bucky

Pelican
I'm trying to read as much of Gulag Archipelago in Russian as I can right now. I should look for the original Russian of 200 Years Together too. I'm mostly posting here to remind myself. I wish I had more time to read.

Yrden

Pigeon
I used this link to download a pdf copy of 200 Years Together by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

This book is extremely difficult to get, and I was not aware it had ever been translated into English. I have to wonder if this is a genuine translation, so if anyone has a way to verify this, much appreciated. The length is about right - 796 pages. It's hard to imagine someone dedicated enough to write a forgery that long but the possibility of edits slipping their way into the text here and is very real.

Overall this should be an interesting exploration. I would post the PDF here but the file is too large.
Thanks for this.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
It's not an "official" translation in the sense that it was translated as a group effort by users from 4chan and 8chan's /pol/. The only official versions are the original Russian and French.
I did not know it was ever in French, either. Anyone got a link to that? It'd be a lot easier than learning Russian.
Hopefully the 4chan version in English isn't too far off from the truth. Should not need to be.

Peacock
Gold Member
The French translation was "official", meaning it was professional and published, and is the better option if you're bilingual, or good to have if you want to plug some gaps with the "open source" English translation, it is here:

other AS works in both French and English:

MajorStyles

Kingfisher
The quintessential book on the communist revolution and how millions were murdered by (((Russians))). One of the most noteworthy parts was his description of Jews that were toppling Russian statues throughout the country. And now, almost 100 years to the day, we see a similar scenario in the United States.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
Wow, that really does hit the nail on the head! A word search for "statue" popped up these:

...Meanwhile, in the Nicholas Park, “the Jews had thrown a rope around the statue of the Emperor [Nicholas I] and tried to overthrow it from its pedestal”; “At another place, Jews wearing red bands began to insult four soldiers who passed by, spitting on them”; the crowd threw stones on a patrol of soldiers, wounded six, and two demonstrators were hit by the firing of a riposte....

“Statues of Hungarian kings and heroes were knocked off their pedestals, the national anthem outlawed, and wearing the national colors criminalized.” “The tragedy of the situation was escalated by the fact that historically Hungarian Jews were much wealthier than their Eastern-European countrymen and were much more successful in Hungarian society.”38

...V. Bloom in Moscow Evening could brazenly demand the removal of “history’s garbage from *city+ squares”: to remove Minin-Pozharsky monument from the Red Square, to remove the monument to Russia’s thousand-year anniversary in Novgorod and a statue of St. Vladimir on the hill in Kiev. “Those tons of metal are needed for raw material.” (The ethnic coloring of the new names has already been noted.)...
The more things change, the more they stay the same, I guess. I'm impressed at whoever took the time to translate that book into English.

Reactions: 911