From Degeneracy To Decadence

No prayer life — What percentage of a Christian’s life is devoted to prayer?
"This verse tells us to pray "without ceasing." What does this mean? as Marvin Wilsom explains in Our Father Abraham [156ff], this instruction reflects the Jewish perception that "everything is theological." All in life was sacred. Jewish prayers were not long explications as in our churches but were short, sentence-length prayers that punctuated the entire day. Prayers were said upon hearing good or bad news; upon smelling plants, when eating or drinking (in other words, "saying grace" was all day); there is even a record of a prayer thanking God that one is able to urinate. As a comparison, Wilson points to the line in The Fiddler on the Roof in which a rabbi is asked if there is a blessing for a sewing machine. Does this seems trite? Only because we are now used to praying as we do. In a true expression, such praying reflects the Jewish perception that all is of God and that all is owed to God."

I bet there is Orthodox prayers for thankfulness that one's body is functioning after going to the toilet, before and after eating, thankfulness for the sun rising and for the sun setting and the beauty thereof.

That there is food and accommodation. I know that I myself needs to make my prayers for more habitual than normal like I am brushing teeth.

Hot water — How can I not conclude that every time I turn on the hot water in the shower I am but a mere scrap of a man compared to my male ancestors who did not have hot water on demand? I should feel shame every time I exit the shower and see steam on the medicine cabinet mirror.

Also guilty. But I try to transition to cold shower as soon as possible. Really uncomfortable and shortens my shower time. But also invigorating. Turning down the hot water and turning up the cold water is hard.

Last edited:
This sounds almost like you're trying to achieve Nirvana. God created the world, and He wants us to enjoy it. You cannot find Him in either side of the Manichean dialectic.

Maybe its best to have legitimate pleasures be enjoyed by each of our own version of Sabbaths. Whilst the more Ascetic aspects are for 6/7ths of our life.

Mount Athos Monks I think have one feast day, 3 days of fasting and 3 days of moderation in their food plans:

The thing is indulging too much in legitimate pleasures is Hedonic adaptation just like how the pleasures of the wealthy simply become normal routine because of hedonic adaptation. But Asceticism may help to keep legitimate pleasures fresh.

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
As I get closer to God, spoken profanity bothers me more and more. It's now hard for me to trust anything a person says if they sprinkle in profanity. I feel they're compromised and led astray, so how can I trust anything they say? But it's everywhere. Even some seemingly good, upstanding people rely so much on profanity to make their points.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
As I get closer to God, spoken profanity bothers me more and more.

I agree with you about profanity, especially when a woman uses profanity - even the just abbreviations.
What happened with woman acting like ladies and being discrete and feminine?

A curse word is called what it is- a curse.

I could do without air conditioning ; given I grew up without it. Everyday I open the windows and then around 4: o’clock shut them and turn on the air for my husband’s return to home from work.

Odd as it seems during (for summer) heavy rain days when there is moisture I will start a fire in the hearthstone - to soak up the moisture, and the smell is pleasant too.

Last edited:

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
I agree with you about profanity, especially when a woman uses profanity - even the just abbreviations.
What happened with woman acting like ladies and being discrete and feminine?

A curse word is called what it is- a curse.
It bothers me more when men do it. Men are supposed to be leaders, women are naturally inclined to follow men's lead, and seeing that kind of weak leadership is very sad.

Hot water — How can I not conclude that every time I turn on the hot water in the shower I am but a mere scrap of a man compared to my male ancestors who did not have hot water on demand? I should feel shame every time I exit the shower and see steam on the medicine cabinet mirror.

I second this. I shower with cold water every morning and it fully removes pain from my body and fear/stress from my mind, at least while I'm under the cold water. Usually I thank Jesus that I don't have to go to hell, before stepping under the cold water for the invigorating and purifying blast. The colder the better.

Also for those who don't understand why we should have cold, discomfort, etc. sometimes, if not all the time, it's because we need to mortify our flesh, literally kill the sin nature that is within our bodies. We do this through pain and violence if necessary, in order to live by the Spirit and not by the flesh:

"For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." Romans 8:11-13

"And [Jesus] said to all, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.'" Luke 9:23

"From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force." Matthew 11:12

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
I've seen a few videos lately to suggest that cold water showers/baths are good for you, reducing inflammation, stimulating immune function and endorphins. I do it a little bit now and then, but am definitely reliant on my hot baths for some degree of soothing from the many pains of life.

I've seen a few videos lately to suggest that cold water showers/baths are good for you, reducing inflammation, stimulating immune function and endorphins. I do it a little bit now and then, but am definitely reliant on my hot baths for some degree of soothing from the many pains of life.

Deliberate use of pain to become stronger may be more useful to men. Weightlifting is another good example, not a traditional female pursuit, but very useful to a man who wants to grow in virtue. Maybe that's because of the softer and more nurturing character of women which would be better developed by focusing on the love of God and taking care of yourself and others, rather than violent mortification of the flesh.

I find that while lifting weights, running, under a cold shower, etc. I am highly conscious of God, my dependence on Him, as well as my own vigorous masculinity, all of which help me build virtue as a man.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
As I get closer to God, spoken profanity bothers me more and more. It's now hard for me to trust anything a person says if they sprinkle in profanity. I feel they're compromised and led astray, so how can I trust anything they say? But it's everywhere. Even some seemingly good, upstanding people rely so much on profanity to make their points.

He who expresses himself with the language of the lavatory wall cannot express himself.

I thought this for a long time.

* Why don't you like John?
- Because he is an [expletive]!
* Why is he an [expletive]?
- Because he's a [expletive] [expletive]!

The use of expletives says something about those using them, and nothing about which they are using them to describe.

It bothers me more when men do it. Men are supposed to be leaders, women are naturally inclined to follow men's lead, and seeing that kind of weak leadership is very sad.
It comes first with salvation and then sanctification as that Man trains in the discipline of his tongue.

Coincidentally I noticed Lord of the Rings didn't have any Male Authority figure in it saying any profanity. Being Heroic Archetypes themselves.

Neither Aragorn, Gandalf or Elrond. Not to mention the quality of their English is better courtesy of JRR Tolkien.

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Shout out from Russian Faith:

Yianni

Chicken
Orthodox
I was anti controlled climate during my college years for the same reasons you stated.
I discovered Henry Miller the famous author wrote a book called The Air-Conditioned Nightmare. I remember liking the first part of the book but losing interest in the last part of it because he wandered from the theme. It’s been 30 years since i read it though and my memory of it has faded. As an aside, my favorite book by Henry Miller is The Colossus of Marousi. You would like it I think.
I will say modern construction necessitates ac/hvac nowadays because homes and buildings aren’t designed anymore with fresh air circulation anymore.

Last edited: