Fukushima

Anyone considering this as a world-changing event? It could very well be the biggest event of our lifetimes.

My opinion is that it's way bigger than your average person in the US understands, and that if you have the motivation, it might be worth making life changes (moving if you live on the Pacific Coast, etc) before chaos ensues.

Could be wrong on this though, which is the point of this thread. Anyone have any info or opinions?

 

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Fear mongering by the anti nuclear hippies.
We don't need more paranoia over nuclear energy, fusion is our future need to invest in it.
You get more radiation and pollution from coal plants and other sources in day to day life.
 

soup

Owl
Gold Member
A man who knows his odds might want to take note of what lies ahead for the Pacific Ocean.

Long story short, I would not be investing in property in California at this time.
 
thegmanifesto said:
Can you give us the cliffs notes?

It is a hour long video.

Sorry about that. That's just a sample video of one of the views being expressed. He says it's the end of the Pacific Ocean and pretty much the end of the world as we know it. Then there are views such as Emancipator's. It's difficult to get a real picture through the fog. We could muddle through. But if there is a panic building below the surface that could break through at any moment, that's something that might be worth working around before it happens.

If there is a giant die-off in the Pacific Ocean, that's not going to be corralled as an anti-nuke hippie concern issue.
 

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
^^ The panic button is smaller coast animals and fish with shorter generation windows compeletly being fried from this. Tumors and radiation levels are off the charts for fish caught in the directional currents. Polar bears whom are near the northern currents are being fucked up too. Humans are ignorant and think it won't hurt us like it does the animals.

Emancipator said:
Fear mongering by the anti nuclear hippies.
We don't need more paranoia over nuclear energy, fusion is our future need to invest in it.
You get more radiation and pollution from coal plants and other sources in day to day life.

We're past that now.

Considering how serious it all is you would think it would be on the front pages of newspapers....

I've been following this event for years now, I stopped reading up on it so much because the evidence is to great and large. And like all shut that isn't "mainstream" or is pegged as being a "conspiracy theory" you kind of get fatigued and really stop giving a fuck unless it affects your personally. Got laughed out of class twice, papers rejected, etc, because nobody was trying to hear this shit.

Even David Suzuki is trying to get the word out now. To many smart people are swallowing their pride and looking at this critically. If Japan gets hit with another earthquake/storm of a certain magnitude (which there is 85% chance off) that last parts of the plant are cooked. Plant 4 mow sits as a apacolyptic time bomb, if that thing goes its a game changer and becones a global crisis insttantly. It's so bad to the point THE WHOLE ISLAND OF JAPAN WILL BECOME UNINHABITABLE. Wtf?! How do you relocate a whole nation of people ? Like its completely off the charts here and it's a clear example of humans arrogance towards science.

Humans have been given the blessings of intelligence but the flaw of being completely
moronic and ignorant at the same time. We're the dumbest and smartest things around and Fukishima shows humans at our best in both instances.

Either they were staunch pro nuclear (which I am if DONE RIGHT), or to blind to think TEPCO would be so evil to throw the whole Pacific Rim under the bus to save their own asses.

Look it's simple logic here and anybody from EE can understand. Chernobyl when that thing blew its lid it had generational impacts on the Ukraine and parts of the FSU. Cancer rates shot through the fuking roof and it became a slow kill death for many in the region.

Now Fukishima was at least 5-6 times MORE powerful then Chernobyl .... In one plant. There are 5 of them I believe and 4 are leaking shit so draw the conclusions as you wish.

This might be the biggest coverup in our generation. All these officials are doing is trying to buy time to save them from being raped in courts, stripped of money, or shamed into knowing they microwaved half the earth and it's people.

Cali is getting douced with major amounts of radiation daily. The USA Gov has shut of its detection meters after they "adjusted" them because they keep going off the charts. This is a problem that will manifest 10-15 years from now, nobody wants to take ownership of it. When Cancer rates shoot up, and all people responsible will be dead or as far away from the problem as they can be.

People on the coast just take some time to research and educate yourself on the problem. It's going to pose serious health issues for the area long term and to put it bluntly. You, or somebody close to you has a extremely high chance of getting sick down the road.

For Nuclear energy...
if your doing top of the line people bed reactors that they are building in China then yes. Japan got sold the shit models from GE back in the day and is exclusively stocked running old ass relics on their island. America has some newer generation ones but I believe nothing new in America has web built since the early 80's since because of limbo, politics, and red tape in America: Building a Nuclear Reactor has become the most expensive and resource intensive project you can do. Just to dig a shovel your shitting out 10billion, estimates put the cost of America retro-fitting it's Nuclear plants at around 10Trillion. Since America is broke its no surprise now that even many of their plants are leaking and will face the same vulnerabilities as Fukishima. If anything it's more with officials saying that Americas risk for a major leak is greater than what Fukishima was and 75% of American plants have already had partial leaks already.

The technology to do it right exsists but everybody in the West is to cheap to do it and f you can't do it right the first time you can't do it all.
 

Therapsid

Pelican
Ten, twenty years from now when nobody's died from Fukushima, nobody will remember these prophecies of doom.

Meanwhile, people die everyday from inhaling pollution from coal plants, but thats not as sexy as dying from radiation so nobody cares. A man dies of a heart attack, everybody assumes it's because he didn't take care of himself. Sometimes, but it can also be the result of air pollution.
 

thegmanifesto

Peacock
Gold Member
kosko said:
For Nuclear energy...
if your doing top of the line people bed reactors that they are building in China then yes. Japan got sold the shit models from GE back in the day and is exclusively stocked running old ass relics on their island.

Sh*t, GE can't even make a dishwasher.

I have one. It sucks.
 

void

Pelican
As long as no critical doses are reached, nobody will give a shit. Despite being poisoned very slowly.
Still, every hunter in Bavaria has to check the wild game for radiation. The activity has to be below 600 Bq/kg, anything above that is not allowed for consumption
 
Japan: elderly engineers want 'final mission' to Fukushima:worship:

"More than 160 nuclear and civil engineers over the age of 60 are planning to set up a Skilled Veterans Corps to assist restoring control over crucial cooling functions at the tsunami-hit nuclear power plant.
Decades of professional engineering expertise combined with a desire to protect younger workers from radiation exposure have united the elderly workers in a desire to help fix the plant.
The idea was masterminded by Yasuteru Yamada, 72, a retired engineer formerly working in plant construction, who was alarmed by reports of young subcontractors, some unskilled in this field, undertaking the high-risk work.
"We shouldn't leave the work only to young engineers," he said. "Young people, especially those who have children in future, should not be exposed to radiation." More than 1,000 people, including young subcontractors, are currently working in sensitive conditions at Fukushima in an on-going bid to restore control at the damaged six-reactor plant."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ngineers-want-final-mission-to-Fukushima.html
 

Apollo

Robin
It's not that I'm not trying to hear this shit, but...

Every time you try to find facts regarding this stuff, it just turns into a never ending circle-jerk of unfalsifiable arguments.

I'm done with this conspiracy bullshit. If this dude wants to present truth then bring me some official fucking documents/communications of government officials instead of another shitty YouTube video saying the world's going to end for the 5 millionth fucking time.

Fair?
 

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
Apollo said:
It's not that I'm not trying to hear this shit, but...

Every time you try to find facts regarding this stuff, it just turns into a never ending circle-jerk of unfalsifiable arguments.

I'm done with this conspiracy bullshit. If this dude wants to present truth then bring me some official fucking documents/communications of government officials instead of another shitty YouTube video saying the world's going to end for the 5 millionth fucking time.

Fair?

This is the thing though and why I've stopped really trying to be vocal with things. Take half and hour and do the work yourself. Use logic and sound judgement, realize whom has more to loose on this and why they would want to cover it up, realize the USA Gov dosnt want to spend a nickel on a problem that won't be a crisis for 10 years from now. Look at all the info and you soon are able to piece together a story rather quickly.

When somebody presents info people dismiss it. Nobody wants to hear that their thyroids are getting fried, it goes against the whole YOLO mantra we live by these days. Nobody collectively wants to bear responsibility. We rag in women for this but as are society has become femenized we collectively do this shit too.

This shit is 20x times more powerful then Hiroshima that fuked up generations of people. Take away the shock of the big bang, the silent slow kill of this is even worse.
 

Lyokoz

Sparrow
Kingsley Davis said:
Japan: elderly engineers want 'final mission' to Fukushima:worship:

"More than 160 nuclear and civil engineers over the age of 60 are planning to set up a Skilled Veterans Corps to assist restoring control over crucial cooling functions at the tsunami-hit nuclear power plant.
Decades of professional engineering expertise combined with a desire to protect younger workers from radiation exposure have united the elderly workers in a desire to help fix the plant.
The idea was masterminded by Yasuteru Yamada, 72, a retired engineer formerly working in plant construction, who was alarmed by reports of young subcontractors, some unskilled in this field, undertaking the high-risk work.
"We shouldn't leave the work only to young engineers," he said. "Young people, especially those who have children in future, should not be exposed to radiation." More than 1,000 people, including young subcontractors, are currently working in sensitive conditions at Fukushima in an on-going bid to restore control at the damaged six-reactor plant."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ngineers-want-final-mission-to-Fukushima.html

See? Is logic really so hard? That's an honorable thing that they're doing. Can you imagine anything like that happening over here?
 

The Lizard of Oz

Crow
Gold Member
Anyone still remember the BP oil spill that was supposed to permanently destroy the entire Gulf ecosystem?

You don't hear much about it lately, because the Gulf has recovered faster than the optimists believed possible and is thriving as much as ever if not more.

Fukushima will be remembered as a non-event. If you know a little physics, the idea that there can be significant excess radiation from it as far away as Cali is ludicrous. Not only that, there will likely be no deaths attributable to it in Japan. That's right -- the total casualty count of Fukushima will probably stand at a round 0 when all is said and done, as Therapsid correctly noted in his post.

Finally, I don't understand why anyone would cite David Suzuki as an authority on this or anything else. He is a fanatical environmentalist fearmonger who would use any and all means to achieve his lunatic goals.
 

AntiTrace

Ostrich
Apollo said:
It's not that I'm not trying to hear this shit, but...

Every time you try to find facts regarding this stuff, it just turns into a never ending circle-jerk of unfalsifiable arguments.

I'm done with this conspiracy bullshit. If this dude wants to present truth then bring me some official fucking documents/communications of government officials instead of another shitty YouTube video saying the world's going to end for the 5 millionth fucking time.

Fair?

Yep.


On a side note, I have made some good money off TEPCO (company that owns Fukushima) in the past. Buy the dips and sell the spikes. Think of buying @ 1.50 a share and selling at $7 a share within a few months time frame. That process has repeated itself about 3 times that I can recall.

I know a cat that is going to retire off this one stock alone.
 
Top