Gamestop Reddit short squeeze

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
IMG-4138.jpg

With the Buffet Indicator catching headlines again, anyone else think GameStop almost crashed the whole party?

Context: https://www.gurufocus.com/stock-market-valuations.php

As of 2021-02-11 03:35:02 PM CST (updates daily):
The Stock Market is Significantly Overvalued according to Buffett Indicator. Based on the historical ratio of total market cap over GDP (currently at 195.1%), it is likely to return -3% a year from this level of valuation, including dividends.

Meanwhile, based on the historical ratio of newly introduced total market cap over GDP plus Total Asset of Federal Reserve Banks (currently at 145.1%), the stock market is Significantly Overvalued, and it is likely to return -1.3% a year from this level of valuation, including dividends.

Market cap is almost double the country's GDP.

username

Ostrich
Gold Member
I think need to find all tickers WSB talks about, look back on the price 1 month, 2 month, etc.. and see if it has mooned yet, filter out stock above a certain market cap, say $5 or $10 billion. Should get a small list and then go read the threads and see the sentiments.

Practically impossible but if you can 5x your investment of $1,600 4 times that's a $1 million. Reality would be more like: lose, lose, win, lose, win, lose, win, lose, lose, or something similar.

The crazy thing is that many of the stocks I thought about buying have done that (5x or more) after being mentioned on WSB.

There's definitely several bots doing that right now. There's some investment firm with a job offering for a WSB poster. There's probably several private Discord's dedicated to tracking WSB sentiment -- decentralizing some of that homework would be advantageous.

typtre

Robin
With the Buffet Indicator catching headlines again, anyone else think GameStop almost crashed the whole party?

Cannot remember where I heard it, either in this episode or Rich Dad Radio Show with guest Bert Dohmen (not available on the website yet) or Raoul Pal, I think.

Anyway, they contemplated whether the response to GameStop by the regulators means they had to step in because the System is so leveraged up that it came to the brink of crashing just by this tiny discrepancy in the market.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I think need to find all tickers WSB talks about, look back on the price 1 month, 2 month, etc.. and see if it has mooned yet, filter out stock above a certain market cap, say $5 or $10 billion. Should get a small list and then go read the threads and see the sentiments.

Practically impossible but if you can 5x your investment of $1,600 4 times that's a $1 million. Reality would be more like: lose, lose, win, lose, win, lose, win, lose, lose, or something similar.

The crazy thing is that many of the stocks I thought about buying have done that (5x or more) after being mentioned on WSB.
A problem with this is the coup that took place during GME to replace all the WSB mods.
The current thinking is that it was old mods who wanted the subreddit so they could make money off the attention (a movie is apparently in development) but I wouldn't be surprised if part of what they do is guide people off cliffs like pumping garbage cryptos (DOGE etc) or pitching stocks of companies that are as bad as gamestop but haven't been irresponsibly/illegally shorted.

Cubans AMA was irresponsible. I wouldn't be surprised if his AMA was responsibly for causing thousands of bagholders to hold when the clear indication was to cut losses and sell. He basically convinced people to keep losing money.

No clue why he even bothered with it as he didn't have any skin in the game. Probably just wanted some publicity.

Hes an attention whore. Lmao at not holding the stock and telling people to hold or whatever word game he was playing. I got out right after his ama.

typtre

Robin
It seems the Gamestop rebellion was doomed to failure from the start -
I knew all that going in. But I really wanted to squeeze the Jew.

What I did not know was how Robinhood functioned (front running) and how the shorts did not actually have to buy back on friday no matter what and instead could pay small fines and interest, which ruined everything as it was the whole point.

You live, you learn... With Jews, you lose.

What I did not know was how Robinhood functioned (front running) and how the shorts did not actually have to buy back on friday no matter what and instead could pay small fines and interest, which ruined everything as it was the whole point.

So no stock options huh. Question is if we should give up here, or try to find another method. Without strong communities like those you find at Church, the next rebellion is doomed to fail. Maybe starting a website where you have to doxx yourself and prove your dedicated to the cause snd can be punished for betrayal. Nah we need an organisation. Any ideas, this is gonna be hard, they'll fight us hard than they did occupy wallstreet. So it won't be easy.

My favorite part was when they shut off the buying. Never expected that. Apparently it functioned as intended, a result of illiquidity and not illegal at all, and I'm looking forward to learning more about it. Surely there's an ethical journalist out there who will dumb it down for us plebians in the coming months, with some historical context -- the problem will be discerning the few legitimate takes from the sea of fantasies playing into people's righteous indignations.