Gamestop Reddit short squeeze

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
I have a few AMC shares. I'm certainly not selling them until I see how the current 1B+ short interest situation works itself out. The borrowing fees for the shorts by the MM's keeps rising. I think margin calls are coming.

It has the makings of a short squeeze and a significant one at that.
Any idea on when the shooting starts? I'm not up to snuff on all the moving parts but I've heard it's something to get into right now.

rainy

Kingfisher
Any idea on when the shooting starts? I'm not up to snuff on all the moving parts but I've heard it's something to get into right now.
I’m not sure. But the borrowing rate for shorting keeps going up. I’m wondering if they’ve run out of shares to short. AMC blew thru the wall the MM’s created under $14 and closed at $16.47 today!

If they are losing the battle to short and one of the MM’s gets margin called....boom. Retail owns majority of the shares. And adding in the synthetic naked shorts the MM’s have shorted more shares than exist. I’m just gonna sit back, hold and enjoy this.

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
I’m not sure. But the borrowing rate for shorting keeps going up. I’m wondering if they’ve run out of shares to short. AMC blew thru the wall the MM’s created under $14 and closed at $16.47 today!

If they are losing the battle to short and one of the MM’s gets margin called....boom. Retail owns majority of the shares. And adding in the synthetic naked shorts the MM’s have shorted more shares than exist. I’m just gonna sit back, hold and enjoy this.
I've started moving money out of RH and into Fidelity to make sure there's no shenanigans. The more homework I do the more interesting it gets. CEO sounds like he's on board. Thing I don't get are those saying it'll hit 100k+ a share. Sounds a lil autistic to me.

The cousins are saying GME has got some juice left to be squeezed but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze anymore.

fiasco360

Kingfisher
I've started moving money out of RH and into Fidelity to make sure there's no shenanigans. The more homework I do the more interesting it gets. CEO sounds like he's on board. Thing I don't get are those saying it'll hit 100k+ a share. Sounds a lil autistic to me.

The cousins are saying GME has got some juice left to be squeezed but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze anymore.
Dont worry I sold recently at $180 - that means it's guaranteed to moon.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker

You got it the wrong way round, irrespective of short selling:

AMC: Dead business, massively in debt, pouring money away, no way of making a profit, not changing losing practices to keep up with consumer practice changes.
GME: Business picking up, transitioning into e-retail, new load of top people all experts in e-commerce, picking up other revenue streams (e-sports, etc.), no debt, warchest of something like a billion saved up

Add in the short selling:

GME: 80 ish million share float, sold its own shares quietly, so as not to effect retail holders share price
AMC: billions of shares?, sells as many shares as it wants to try and stay alive, doesnt care what happens to retail price

Then there is the press coverage:

AMC: Press pimps this every opportunity it gets, especially when GME has a good day
GME: Press barely mentions GME, except when to say the squeeze is done, or to heavily report any dip.

Taking into account the above, why on earth would you put any money into AMC, over GME?

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
You got it the wrong way round, irrespective of short selling:

AMC: Dead business, massively in debt, pouring money away, no way of making a profit, not changing losing practices to keep up with consumer practice changes.
GME: Business picking up, transitioning into e-retail, new load of top people all experts in e-commerce, picking up other revenue streams (e-sports, etc.), no debt, warchest of something like a billion saved up

Add in the short selling:

GME: 80 ish million share float, sold its own shares quietly, so as not to effect retail holders share price
AMC: billions of shares?, sells as many shares as it wants to try and stay alive, doesnt care what happens to retail price

Then there is the press coverage:

AMC: Press pimps this every opportunity it gets, especially when GME has a good day
GME: Press barely mentions GME, except when to say the squeeze is done, or to heavily report any dip.

Taking into account the above, why on earth would you put any money into AMC, over GME?
If we're talking value then I would not invest in either of these companies. If we're talking about a short squeeze miracle then I'd keep a lil money in both but I see that GME already had its day in the sun.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
Why?

NFTs were a big hype a couple months ago, nothing much came of the NFT companies that popped then. Sure GME has a larger audience, but I'm not sure what value gamestop NFT actually adds to the bottom line
In simple terms, what we have now for digital e-commerce, is where the consumer buys a licence to view/read/use the companies product.

With real items, you own the item.

Gamestop was a real shop, where you could trade real items.

Steam is a marketplace where you get a licence to play a game via their launcher and if Steam goes bankrupt you cant play your game (this is not entirely accurate, but its what most people believe). This is also in books with Amazon, movies with Netflix, etc.

Gamestop intends for its digital marketplace to sell digital copies of games that you will own, and that information is securely held.

You can then trade your game later (it looks like they will launch their own crypto for this - this is another gamechanger too, for other reasons).

It is a generational leap forward (2 generations for Gamestop itself).

Gamestop is designing the entire digital marketplace for itself, and others (Steam/Origin/Netflix/Amazon) infrastructure cannot be easily changed to compete.

Its akin to the Amazon Kindle. Prior to it e-readers were bulky useless items with few titles. Amazon designed the digital marketplace for the kindle from the ground up, and the Kindle jumped a generation in front of all other e-readers and cornered the market.

Also, it should be noted that no company has actually implemented NFTs fully integrated into a full business model before, so it has wider ranging implications than digital media.

To go into more detail would require an essay, but you should get the jist.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
Taco bell sold NFTs. I wouldn't say NFT is a game changer. More of a random fad, but I guess we'll see. That's what most people said about crypto in its infancy.
Its the implementation of it that makes the difference.

No-one has fully implemented it throughout a digital marketplace as of yet.

It would totally change how e-media is bought and sold.

Plus, the gamestop crypto could really take off. Ever played a game? Ever noticed how lots of games have some form of "currency" that you can buy, and then use to buy other things?

Imagine this scenario, you buy a digital copy of a game through the gamestop store (which you own just like a hard media version), and you trade-in an old digital game for store tokens. Those store tokens are GMEcoin. GMEcoin is accepted for every game sold through the gamestop store, and can be bought and sold for real money.

But you dont use it for that, you have a lot of tokens and you decide to purchase a pre-owned copy of Tiger Woods golf. Its previous owner was Tiger Woods. Now you have an e-collectible that is actually tangible and traceable.

There are loads of other geeky things that you can think of here.

The main point is that there is no competition ready to compete, the other digital retailers are stagnant in how they market and sell product, and no-one, digitally or otherwise has a purpose built e-commerce platform with crypto/blockchain/NFT functionality built in throughout.

If/when it works, who is poised to sell ebooks, or films, or tv shows to people who want to actually own them? The company that already has the infrastructure and experience of doing that.

But thats just my thoughts. Im no expert, I designed a system for my MSc in computing about 15 years ago, when Steam was still in its infancy. The system was an e-commerce platform that did for films, what you could do for games with Steam. You could view a trailer, read reviews, and stream/download the movie you wanted for a price to your computer. My lecturer thought it was interesting enough for a good mark, but thought it would never catch on!

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Guys don't buy into this like it's some monumental uprising movement, a couple hedge funds lose some cash MAYBE......10 more pop up in their place and even the hedge funds that lost cash just borrow more and their fine the next day. Nobody is taking down the system, there will be guys who get rich off the bag holders just like every "uprising".

Make your money and be happy because that's all there is here absolutely nothing else, this is a game that no common person can win it's all temporary. I've bought and sold GME and AMC probably ten times already, diamond hands tendies wifes boyfriend blah blah blah give me a break with that loser garbage, just make your money like any man would don't be desperate to buy into something like you're a child with a worthless life.....might as well put on an antifa mask while you're at it and take down some more "systems".

As your brother in Christ listen to me please make your money off of this and don't buy into it like that because you will get burned.

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
In simple terms, what we have now for digital e-commerce, is where the consumer buys a licence to view/read/use the companies product.

With real items, you own the item.

Gamestop was a real shop, where you could trade real items.

Steam is a marketplace where you get a licence to play a game via their launcher and if Steam goes bankrupt you cant play your game (this is not entirely accurate, but its what most people believe). This is also in books with Amazon, movies with Netflix, etc.

Gamestop intends for its digital marketplace to sell digital copies of games that you will own, and that information is securely held.

You can then trade your game later (it looks like they will launch their own crypto for this - this is another gamechanger too, for other reasons).

It is a generational leap forward (2 generations for Gamestop itself).

Gamestop is designing the entire digital marketplace for itself, and others (Steam/Origin/Netflix/Amazon) infrastructure cannot be easily changed to compete.

Its akin to the Amazon Kindle. Prior to it e-readers were bulky useless items with few titles. Amazon designed the digital marketplace for the kindle from the ground up, and the Kindle jumped a generation in front of all other e-readers and cornered the market.

Also, it should be noted that no company has actually implemented NFTs fully integrated into a full business model before, so it has wider ranging implications than digital media.

To go into more detail would require an essay, but you should get the jist.
That sounds pretty good. Sounds like the shot in the arm Gamestop needed if they wanted to stay relevant. So are they coming out with their own crypto or will their NFT be tied to their current stock?

Heard something similar with UFC wanting to create their own coin that all their fans could trade.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
That sounds pretty good. Sounds like the shot in the arm Gamestop needed if they wanted to stay relevant. So are they coming out with their own crypto or will their NFT be tied to their current stock?

Heard something similar with UFC wanting to create their own coin that all their fans could trade.
From what I've heard rumour wise, their store credit will be their crypto.
They have links to Microsoft (Microsoft store), and intend their crypto to be capable of being used for in game purchases for all the games they sell.
So, for example, you buy GTA 6 from GameStop and get 100 GMEcoin to spend in game.
Who knows about backward compatibility with other games.
I guess the most important point is if it works for them, they will be in a position to offer their tech infrastructure to others like the Microsoft store, rather than Microsoft building it all themselves from the ground up.
Be advised though, the internet is full of rumours surrounding GameStop due to the current hype about the stock, so sorting the wheat from the chaff can be difficult at the moment.

I guess the most important point is if it works for them, they will be in a position to offer their tech infrastructure to others like the Microsoft store, rather than Microsoft building it all themselves from the ground up.
Be advised though, the internet is full of rumours surrounding GameStop due to the current hype about the stock, so sorting the wheat from the chaff can be difficult at the moment.

This is why I don't think NFT or a GME coin is anything that special. I like the idea but I just don't see as a game changer in any way.

Coins are ridiculously easy to make, microsoft and sony would have no reason to use GME coin over their own creation. And don't they both have their own cross platform currency anyway? I can buy microsoft points and use them in any xbox game.....so what does using block chain add for value to the console industry?

Smaller computer game shops might be interested in getting in on a GME coin in order to easily offer in app purchases.

NFT for collectibles is good, but again small faddish market.

I'm a day trader so I love volatility on GME. I'd love to see it moon because it will bring a lot of other sympathy stocks up with it.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
This is why I don't think NFT or a GME coin is anything that special. I like the idea but I just don't see as a game changer in any way.

Coins are ridiculously easy to make, microsoft and sony would have no reason to use GME coin over their own creation. And don't they both have their own cross platform currency anyway? I can buy microsoft points and use them in any xbox game.....so what does using block chain add for value to the console industry?

Smaller computer game shops might be interested in getting in on a GME coin in order to easily offer in app purchases.

NFT for collectibles is good, but again small faddish market.

I'm a day trader so I love volatility on GME. I'd love to see it moon because it will bring a lot of other sympathy stocks up with it.
It's hard to get your head round, takes a bit of research to get it all.

But simply, all current digital media you buy, isn't owned by you.

Gamestop will provide digital media that you own the full rights to (nft), this info will be stored securely and permanently (Blockchain).

To use movies for example, you could purchase a pre-owned digital copy of bad boys, and the previous owner of record is Will Smith.

With regards to crypto, it's not just the various markets that you are talking about, but it's every game. Most games have their own discreet currency that you buy with real money, then purchase in game money with. Then you use the in game money to buy in game items. You own the rights to none of this.

Now imagine their is one crypto that can be used to buy anything in any game, and if your game is purchased via GameStop you own the full rights to that game and all your in game purchases. Now you can trade that game, and/or the items within.

Similar to the movie example, maybe your favourite player on your favourite eSports team wins a championship. You could by their weapon used in that championship.

It can be hard to see if your not a geek, but what do people pay for signed sportsballs from their favourite team?

For more info on how large game economies are, and their real world impact, do some research on EVE: Online.

To build the infrastructure for this is a big task, but GameStop has no debt and half a billion dollars to spend, so they might do it. All other digital marketplaces are not setup to work this way, and would require massive retooling to addin this kind of e-commerce.

It is literally the difference between the time everyone had a book on a plane, and no-one used one of the many readers available, and a couple of years later, when the majority travelling on that plane have their kindle (or Kindle app) with them.

If they get it to work, obviously.