Getting Leverage on Food Prep / Personal Chef

Freebird Flying

Woodpecker
Hello!

I have a goal to lose 20 pounds in the next 4 months, and 30 in 6 months, and total of 40 after one year. I'm at 220 5"11 and I've been trying to hit this goal since the lockdown started.

A couple of months ago I hired a chef to come out to my condo 3 or 4 days a week to do cooking and shopping. I have a very talented cook / chef.

He's been making me food for a couple of months, but I haven't had success yet losing weight. I've tried intermittent fasting and all that. I also tried some local food service companies, but I don't like those because they sell in bulk, and they are stingy with the quality of the ingredients in my experience.

I was looking at how to simplify this process. Perhaps if I had a great resource for the recipes where the macros are already counted, and I can simply ask this very qualified chef to make a couple of recipes 3 days per week, maybe like 6 recipes total. I feel like the optimal strategy would be to preplan the macros and then give him the recipes to make.

Has anyone done this successfully, and if so, can you provide some good places to check aside from the random sites when I google a recipe online?

Any strategy tips for getting the macros locked in and getting someone to do all the shopping and cooking for me. Budgets isn't an issue for me that's why also wanting to get great quality also super healthy and sustainable.

I feel like once it's set up properly, it could possibly be easy. It's just taking a while to get it going.

Thanks!

Gradient

Kingfisher
When you set out on the journey to lose that kind of weight, you must start with the understanding that the odds are against you. Your body was designed to live in times of want, and designed to store calories in times of plenty. In the past, the times of want far outweighed the times of plenty. In today's world, we are continually in times of plenty, which is why we now outweigh all of our ancestors.

If you want to lose weight naturally, you have one option. Control calories. Very simple, but not "easy". Every step of the way, your body will fight you. Those fat cells are designed to give up their energy only sparingly. They are there to defend you from starvation and until there is a calorie deficit, they will do everything possible to retain or increase their fat content. Add to that the fact that as your body senses a calorie deficit, it also shifts into an energy conservation mode the further hinders your efforts to burn fat. All the while your hunger pangs will increase, driving you to break whatever discipline that you've managed to cobble together.

It will not be easy. Just know that. There ain't no way, but the hard way.

To be successful in this, you will need to maintain a strict calorie restricted diet. (I'll assume that you have eliminated pretty much ALL sugar, alcohol, and highly processed carbohydrates.) There are lots of "diets" that you can choose from. Many people take this path, but it is a path to failure. "Diets" are short term adventures. If they produce results, the people that are on them become evangelists for that "diet" and anyone who doesn't agree with that "diet" is suddenly an idiot.

What you should choose instead is a lifestyle change. Eat actual food as close as you can get to its natural form. Don't worry too much over what % of what food group to eat at each meal. As long as most of what you're eating doesn't come in a bag, box, or jar, it's fine.

Start with trying to keep to 2000 calories a day. That is less than the supposed average adult male needs. There are phone apps that can assist you in keeping count. It is tedious to say the least. But aside from medical intervention, there is no more sure way to take off weight. Sadly, because it is both tedious and difficult, it is also the most likely to fail. If your chef is doing all your food prep, they will need to assure that the meals fit within your calorie limits.

A couple of other points:

- You should be done eating for the day several hours before going to sleep.
- A small treat/dessert once in a while is not a problem.
- Exercise WILL NOT reduce your weight in the measures you're looking for. But it WILL increase your health. Do not skip it.
- Do not weigh yourself every day. Twice a week is fine. Monday and Thursday maybe. After 3-4 weeks of maintaining 2000 calories, you should see a downward trend.

Consider reading the book - "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig. It covers what I've said here in much greater detail.

Best of luck to you!

Gradient

Kingfisher
Sorry, let me add one additional point.

- Increase your fiber intake with your meals. Fiber helps with satiation so you eat less, and forms a latticework around food to move things through the digestive tract. efficiently. (One reason why 72% + dark chocolate is good in moderation. Look at the fiber/sugar content of that vs milk chocolate.)

fiasco360

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Eat meat. A majority of your diet 80%+ should be natural animal products.

Don't need fiber - it just pushes other useless items out. Some people have horrible tolerances with vegetables.

Check your BMR and see where your set point is - don't just consume 2k calories because it's a set standard.

Keep up activity daily - even on your off days you should go for a walk.