Giorgia Meloni and Italian Populism

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
Newly elected PM of Italy.

She's laying down some hell fire and brimstone here.

Very happy for the Italians... I'm sure Vox Day is thrilled also.

I have been saying recently that leftists are against God, family, and country, along with the classic virtues, self reliance, etc.

I'm glad to hear she campaigned on God, Country, and Family, although I always thought family came ahead of country. The point is that leftists are opposed to all three, so someone that campaigns in favor of these three is great with me.

An0dyne

Robin
Other Christian
My great grandparents came from Sicily. Now looks like a good time to look into getting citizenship. :laughter:
You may be joking, but… With their citizenship by blood law, you may be a citizen already if your great grandparents naturalized after having your grandparent! Though getting this officially recognized via the Italian consulate can be daunting. If you have a FB, I recommend this group for more information (they have many helpful tutorials): https://www.facebook.com/groups/dualusitaliancitizenship/?ref=share

Ember

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
France24 could be lying, but it looks like she fails on policy towards Russia and the Ukraine situation, despite previously claiming to be a fan of Putin.

Until recently, her ideological models also included Russia’s Vladimir Putin, whom she praised for “defending European values and Christian identity” in her 2021 book, “I am Giorgia”. But she has since distanced herself from the man in the Kremlin, unequivocally condemning his invasion of Ukraine and supporting Western sanctions on Moscow.

Last month, she recorded a video message in three languages to reassure Italy's partners that she would stick to Rome's traditional alliances, including NATO.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...italy-s-far-right-leader-on-the-cusp-of-power

ivalyosha

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
France24 could be lying, but it looks like she fails on policy towards Russia and the Ukraine situation, despite previously claiming to be a fan of Putin.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/...italy-s-far-right-leader-on-the-cusp-of-power
They're telling the truth. She has been adamantly pro-Ukraine so far, but considering most of her other positions, she's way better than all the alternatives and most other EU heads of state. This is a big win for true conservatives.

I also think the door is open for her to turn against Ukraine if she wants. Her main coalition partner, Salvini, has already publicly said the sanctions are hurting normal Italians more than Russia. Now that she's won and the energy crisis will continue, she's in a good position to walk back her Ukraine position to hopefully bring better energy prices to Italians.

ivalyosha

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
As for the OP: My only regret based on what’s being reported is that this is yet another female “savior.” Like Marjorie Taylor Greene here in the U.S. Women in positions of leadership is also a sign of judgment and a deteriorating society.
Fair point but she's so much better than the alternatives. Also, I don't recall seeing her campaign much on the fact she's a woman. No trying to score feminist points as far as I know.

We should be really hopeful with her election. Italy is the 3rd largest economy in the EU and a G7 member. Getting someone with her beliefs in that seat is a big middle finger to globalists and hopefully she will inspire voters in other countries to do the same.

muscacav

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic
ROME — Italy’s right-wing parties are poised to abandon anti-EU politics, according to a leaked blueprint for power designed to reassure international markets and allies.

A draft of the right-wingers' joint program for government, agreed by representatives of the parties on Wednesday and seen by POLITICO, stated that Italy is “a fully fledged part of Europe” and pledged its “full adhesion” to European integration.
Still pending confirmation though...

Elections, Hillary Clinton approves premier of Giorgia Meloni: “Good thing, a break with the past”

infowarrior1

Peacock
Protestant
Fair point but she's so much better than the alternatives. Also, I don't recall seeing her campaign much on the fact she's a woman. No trying to score feminist points as far as I know.

We should be really hopeful with her election. Italy is the 3rd largest economy in the EU and a G7 member. Getting someone with her beliefs in that seat is a big middle finger to globalists and hopefully she will inspire voters in other countries to do the same.

I was hoping Salvini would be able to hold that torch. Shame that he didn't turn out like we'd like.