Giving up caffeine is a game changer

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Late to the thread here and have not read every single post obviously, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Have you tried wheat grass? I have it in the mornings on an empty stomach and it's incredible. Energy boost, feeling of vitality and wellness, just great. Also have another greens blend with wheat grass, spirulina, chlorella and a bit of green tea. Alkalizes the blood and provides natural energy by way of aminos and vitamins. Highly recommended.
Awesome advice gentlemen.

Yes, I used to take daily greens, so that might be something to try in the mornings.

Thanks @r3d and @newcomer for your replies.

I'll give these a try.

This is why i come here for honest opinions.

God bless

bubs

Woodpecker
Protestant
Awesome advice gentlemen.

Yes, I used to take daily greens, so that might be something to try in the mornings.

Thanks @r3d and @newcomer for your replies.

I'll give these a try.

This is why i come here for honest opinions.

God bless
I was wondering if there is a natural way to produce energy that caffeine has always seemed to provide. Maybe I’ll give this a try as well. I didn’t drink coffee theu high school and college and was always tired. Started to drink coffee as an adult and got productive and energetic. Afternoon lulls and tiredness are fixed with 1 cup. Hoefullly there is a solution other than coffee because this has always fixed me fine.

muscacav

Woodpecker
Trad Catholic
I have been drinking coffee for more than two decades and have recently wondered if coffee is not making my mental state worse (stinking thinking, bad headspace, "blackpill thoughts", etc). My coffee intake seems to be correlated with a bad outlook on life and a sort of hopeless mood. I am not saying that coffee is causing it but I am seriously doubting that it is making it worse.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
During the scamdemic I started drinking coffee every day because I was working from home. I did so for about a year and then it crossed my mind that it might not be good for my health, even though I didn't really feel any different. So, I quit it on weekdays and started drinking it only on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I experienced mild withdrawal, but nothing really severe.

I have noticed that I have a little more energy and stamina since I stopped drinking it every day. Also, it seems I recover a little faster from a hard workout, both cardio and weights. I'm not sure why. Because of that, a week or two before a race (I do about one triathlon a month during the spring and summer months) I stop drinking coffee completely, along with alcohol. I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but I figure to be at my best in a race I don't need my body to be recovering from alcohol or acidic coffee consumption.

I think it has been discussed in this thread, but there are theories that it's not necessarily the caffeine that is the worst thing about coffee. The acids in it may be just as bad, if not worse, and may have some effect on your liver, metabolism, and digestive tract.

Zanardi

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I have been drinking coffee for more than two decades and have recently wondered if coffee is not making my mental state worse (stinking thinking, bad headspace, "blackpill thoughts", etc). My coffee intake seems to be correlated with a bad outlook on life and a sort of hopeless mood. I am not saying that coffee is causing it but I am seriously doubting that it is making it worse.

I don't think coffee has anything to do with making one's mental state worse. I don't think it even exposes the causes that are behind "stinking thinking, bad headspace, "blackpill thoughts", etc". Even though, it's a signal to start correcting the causes that lead to your mental state.

Ontopic: I don't see any changes by drinking coffee. I can sleep at night with no problems, even if I drank a cappuccino at 9 PM.

JuanChristophorus

Banned
Trad Catholic
If there is one drug and bad habit I can't shake it is coffee. The flavor is something else but the side effects make me lethargic, emotional, aggressive and numb. Many good opportunities have been ruined due to my sensitivity to stimulants, such as in dating, jobs and even private life. Even the mortal sin of onanism, with which many men struggle, is nothing for me compared to the addiction to coffee/caffeine. There are periods of weeks and months where I don't drink a drop of caffeine but then go down the rabbit hole again and again.

Sanctus

Woodpecker
Protestant
Have been thinking about this a lot recently. Given how bad inflation is getting as well as how expensive coffee already was, it makes sense that I should probably kick the habit sooner rather than later.
I will not lie, that fist cup I have in the morning is amazing. Pure addiction talking, though.

bucky

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Have been thinking about this a lot recently. Given how bad inflation is getting as well as how expensive coffee already was, it makes sense that I should probably kick the habit sooner rather than later.
I will not lie, that fist cup I have in the morning is amazing. Pure addiction talking, though.
Yeah. I don't even drink coffee, but my preworkout has coffee extract in it, so basically the same thing. I take one or two days off from working out a week and so I don't have any caffeine on those days, but the night before a rest day I literally feel bummed out knowing that I won't be sipping my glass of drugs...er...I mean preworkout...next morning.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Yeah, I've tried to quit a few times but I find life pretty boring without this stimulant to look forward to and buzz to 'enjoy'. I guess this says something about my life...

inthefade

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Caffeine is the only substance I get actual physical withdrawals if I stop using it. More difficult to quit for me than cannabis, sugar or masturbating. Maybe someday...

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Interesting reading about people’s experiences with caffeine. I like drinking coffee, but for the flavor of good, specialty coffee - not really for any stimulant properties. Drinking two ~270 ml cups, spaced a few hours apart and with no cream/sugar, per day gives me hardly any noticeable stimulation. Are people addicted to caffeine chugging a whole pot of coffee every morning?

Years ago I’d sometimes get a cup of Chick Fil A coffee with my breakfast order on the way to work. This was long before I knew anything about high quality coffee. That stuff would make me feel like I was about to have a panic attack. Not a good feeling at all. Even their decaf got me more of a buzz than what I drink now.

It seems like one of the easiest ways to break a caffeine addiction is simply to tone down your coffee by drinking smaller cups of less strong coffee. If you switch to specialty coffee it’ll actually taste way better as well and the economics of it make you disinclined to brew big quantities of it anyway.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Something interesting I learned recently is that the robusta variety of coffee usually used in commercial grade coffee - I.e., what you get at restaurants, major chains, typical grocery store coffee - has double the caffeine content of the arabica type used in most high quality specialty coffee. This would explain why I’d get jittery and feel awful when I bought a “normal” cup of coffee from a chain, but the coffee I brew at home is only mildly stimulating. The standard cup of coffee is basically designed to overstimulate you and make you addicted.

If I make a bypass type brew with my Aeropress with 18g-21g of beans I feel a slight buzz, but usually I just brew 15g which seems to have almost no noticeable effect on me. Last week I visited my brother and we went to a fancy coffee shop where I drank a big mug of pour over coffee followed almost immediately by an espresso. No jitters, overstimulation at all.

Similar to the way processed food is designed to overstimulate your taste buds, I think the over caffeinated nature of your Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc. coffee is by design.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
I shared with @Papaya in another thread or conversation that I believe that a lot of the complaints I have had related to joint pain can likely be tied to either not drinking enough water, drinking too much caffeine regularly, or both. Other theories (statin damage is finally waning after 6 months) seem less likely, given the dramatic change that resulted from just adding more water, and cutting back on coffee. However, all this is anecdotal, and I'm a huge fan of coffee. So, it pains me to say (but pained me more, until I made these changes).

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I've recently quit coffee because i couldn't moderate what i was drinking. I always took it too far and got the jitters or overly anxious. I've switched to drinking Green Rooibos tea for most of the day, and it's been real good. I do miss that slight buzz, and I think as @Hermetic Seal says, if I drank exclusively Speciality coffee and was strict about my consumption, I might be able to do that and avoid all the commercial stuff. Maybe later on down the line, but i'm enjoying my little routine for now, it's easier to live without caffeine at the moment. Focusing on getting my sleep in check as well so i don't have to lean on the caffeine at all.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
If I make a bypass type brew with my Aeropress with 18g-21g of beans I feel a slight buzz, but usually I just brew 15g which seems to have almost no noticeable effect on me.
I also use Aeropress and always have brewed with 10-11 grams, though I slightly prolong the plunger time.

I drink decaffeinated now and use these beans. I can't tell that they are decaf:

Amazon product

When I go out, I prefer Dunkin decaf, which is pretty smooth.

If you stop drinking caffeinated coffee entirely, after a couple months you can get a boost alone from a few pieces of dark chocolate or black tea, and it will come without jitters.