Giving up caffeine is a game changer

bucky

Pelican
I love the liquid (colas) too much.

Soda is bad for you, but I’m not sure what else to drink during a meal. Alcohol, even at moderate amounts is arguable as deleterious. Water is weak and ruins stomach acid/digestion. Milk? A lot of people have qualms with it as well
I often mix sparkling water with stevia and a little vanilla extract. It's delicious, tastes a lot like cream soda, and not bad for you. There are also some flavored San Peligrino sparkling waters that you can get at Costco that taste great.

Caffeine is definitely a drug and it affects different people in different ways. I didn't drink any caffeine until about age 12. When I was introduced too Mtn. Dew and Coke, I was hooked. I still haven't experienced any headaches or withdrawals as mentioned in previous posts. I've gone months where I've drunken 2 or 3 cans of Mtn. Dew a day to a few months of no caffeine at all. I used to drink a Mtn. Dew before bed every night. I got to the point where I was basically immune to the effects of caffeine. I stopped caffeine around 2 months ago and I never had any withdrawals or headaches. I drank a can of monster yesterday and I couldn't sleep at all. I think my tolerance goes down when I stop caffeine but other than that, I don't have any other adverse side affects.

I'm not trying to say caffeine is good though. One time in high school, I had to do a lot of homework in one night. I drank 3 red bulls that night and I could literally feel my heart beating out of rhythm. I have a love hate relationship with caffeine, but I do believe that God made us perfectly in His image and we shouldn't have to depend on caffeine or any other drug to boost us up.

Mountaineer

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Many people make drinking coffee a timed habit. They drink it in the morning or at work or every weekend. For me the key has been irregularity. I don't have a set time. I usually drink it when I go on a drive but that happens randomly. I absolutely never drink it at work or in any stressful situation. This way I don't feel the urge when a certain time comes. I can drink it three times a week or three times a month, for me it makes no difference. I don't get drunk (I withdrew without problem), I don't smoke (tried that too, never seen any point to it), I don't do drugs (never tired even a doobie and never will). I don't indulge in anything that prevents me to think clearly. I am an example that moderation is in fact possible. Every person is different. Maybe because I'm not an extremist like Roosh.

Last edited:

bucky

Pelican
Source? I can't really think of a situation where water would be considered "bad for you" and not ideal to drink, humans literally will die without it in days.
It's possible in extreme cases to overdose on water and actually die from it, but that's if you're being an idiot and drinking gallons for some stupid reason. I agree with you, I can't think of any likely situation where drinking water is bad.

BlastbeatCasanova

Kingfisher
It's possible in extreme cases to overdose on water and actually die from it, but that's if you're being an idiot and drinking gallons for some stupid reason. I agree with you, I can't think of any likely situation where drinking water is bad.
Right, I figured that went without saying. I remember a lady died in a water drinking contest for a Nintendo Wii, I think it was literally called "Hold Your Wee for a Wii."

bucky

Pelican
Right, I figured that went without saying. I remember a lady died in a water drinking contest for a Nintendo Wii, I think it was literally called "Hold Your Wee for a Wii."
Yes, that's the case I was thinking of. I guess enough of pretty much anything can kill you.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Source? I can't really think of a situation where water would be considered "bad for you" and not ideal to drink, humans literally will die without it in days.
True, it’s probably healthiest

I’ve had a mild acid reflux problem. In that industry, treating GERD, some feel as if drinking water with a meal dilutes stomach acid, which in turn many feel low stomach acid causes acid reflux, and slower motility. Not that soda is healthy for the issue

I can’t recall the source as I’ve read many articles about acid reflux, and came away with that teaching. As I google it now, looks like many disagree with the thought water can meaningfully raise stomach PH

"In English, the noun "drug" is thought to originate from Old French "drogue", possibly deriving from "droge (vate)" from Middle Dutch meaning "dry (barrels)", referring to medicinal plants preserved as dry matter in barrels." By this etymology, drugs being "dried flora", coffee, tobacco, and even tea earn the drug classification by ancient standards. It is no surprise that all three contain addictive properties.

PixelFree

Kingfisher
One thing that helps me avoid it...

You know how you need to do a number 2 straight after you have a cup?

Apparently it's because your body identifies it as a poison and seeks to expel it as quickly as possible. Was just told this, haven't verified personally.

When I wasn't drinking it, my daily routine would change from morning (straight after my daily cup) to mid afternoon. It was interesting to notice the change. Seems more natural.

Batman_

Kingfisher
So I did a very slow taper coming off of 3 cups of strong coffee a day, after months I'm down to 1 cup of green tea per day. I always consumed all my coffee by 2pm, so I never noticed any sleep disruptions. Only difference so far is that my mornings are a bit more "stable" as expected, but I still wake up groggy and lethargic even if I get good sleep.

I'm going to continue to stay off of all sources of caffeine except teas and i'll report back with another update.

Batman_

Kingfisher
One thing that helps me avoid it...

You know how you need to do a number 2 straight after you have a cup?

Apparently it's because your body identifies it as a poison and seeks to expel it as quickly as possible. Was just told this, haven't verified personally.

When I wasn't drinking it, my daily routine would change from morning (straight after my daily cup) to mid afternoon. It was interesting to notice the change. Seems more natural.
Coffee is a simply mild diuretic which stimulates the digestive system. I actually kind of liked that effect because it made me have to shit in the mornings which is obviously the best time to do it.

AndrewHo

Im still relatively young but have been drinking coffee everyday for about 8 years.

I've given it up for a day or two at a time and as most of you know had the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. It is real.

Then again you have to ask yourself this as a regular coffee drinker, What is this really? A bean made from the coffee plant, processed, roasted etc, you drink it, gives you a sensory high/adrenaline/norepinephrine high followed by a subsequent crash.

It's the socially accepted legal everyday, liquid cocaine. (maybe just a lesser harsh version of it)

See all those studies year on year claiming the benefits of coffee?, I reckon it's all bullshit. Acidic shit made from a plant miles away that makes you chronically depressed and extremely fatigued when you don't have it is meant to be good for you?

Think about it.

If you're a coffee drinker, and I don't mean a pissy one which is weak like 50mg caffeine ash tray water, I mean a decent strong one....and you drink one or two of these a day, and have been for a long time I beg you to just stop for at least 3 days without caffeine.

You can't.

Brain fog, extreme fatigue and tiredness,moody,depressed.

Been off it maybe 2.5 weeks now. Honestly the first 8/9 days were horrible. This is a real thing. I needed coffee every morning and afternoon to keep me awake. But ask yourself why do you need to feel awake? I also didn't realize caffeine will give you very very slight anxiety due to it's stimulant structure, although I knew most of this information, I can really see now how your body should function without it.

My sleep is at least 10 times better. I used to toss and turn during the night for years, even though my latest coffee would be 3pm max, bed by 11 usually, then dying to drink the same beautiful stuff the next morning at 7 am. Bad cycle to be in. And trust me I love coffee.

I'm more relaxed overall and get less antsy about certain things even though I never thought of myself as an anxious person. It also dries out your skin badly being a diuretic. I wont go into detail about the mineral leaching effects it has, google them.

I also think if you have any stomach problems you need to quit caffeine. That acidity over time will tear the lining of your stomach up. It's an unnatural compound doing damage to your brain, as much as you feel awake and focused when drinking it, it's all fake.

I feel like I can focus better now than when I drank it.

Maybe turn this thread into a challenge, I dunno, maybe some of you can post experiences giving up caffeine, the worlds most used otc drug.

Adios.
Nobody should drink any coffee past 9am. As with any other kind of food or drink, moderation is the key.

PixelFree

Kingfisher
Inspired by this thread, I switched back to decaf 5 days ago.

Lavazza decaf (blue brick) tastes great to me. Very strong flavour, I can't believe I'm drinking decaf.

On day 3 something strange happened. I dreamt again (or rather, I remembered my dreams upon waking). I can't recall the last time this happened. I didn't want to post this until it happened again - which it did, on day 4 and 5.

Could be just a coincidence, although the older I get the less I believe in coincidences. I'll see how it goes.

I'm glad you made this thread. I'm on day 8, and generally very tired/slow... to the point where I have been taking midday naps. I only would do 1 espresso a day, for a few years now. I will give it at least a month to see if I feel any benefits

I have a really good story:

Junior year high school. 5 AP ("college-level") courses, varsity tennis team, student engineer project for local municipality, and I took all of it very seriously.

Finals season rolls around. Looking at the calendar, I had two weeks when everything was due between classes and my engineering project. I really needed to focus myself since unfinished homework and essays were accruing quickly. I really wanted to make sure I could try completing everything.

Athletic buddy recommends caffeine pills; "One helps me out early morning for my reps, one in the afternoon for school." Hmm, let's try it. Since I didn't know you can overdose on anything, I thought it was like vitamin C and I'd just urinate it out.

Start popping 600-1600mg (3 to 8 pills) a day depending on what needed to be done throughout the day between different exams, etc.

Over the course of the two weeks, I literally hit my idea of rock bottom. 2-3 hours of sleep a night, constant stress over getting things done, skin became so dry and patchy, sweating, paranoia, heart beat was out of rhythm some nights, random muscle spasms, and the worst was a three-day section of 72 hours of no sleep. I literally started seeing shadow people that were turning their heads as if they were noticing me.

Literally a living Hell. One of my buddies said I as becoming deathly pale towards the latter half of the second week.

The final Friday rolls around, and I had (mostly) everything completed. I flopped into bed at 6PM. I slept for 26 hours, finally waking at 8PM Saturday. Literally felt like I was rising from the dead. My whole chest felt tight and all my joints ached.

After that, I can't really consume caffeine. After more than a cup of the instant coffee stuff, I start to get headaches and my skin itches.

All in all don't touch the stuff. Especially don't go as heavy as I did.

Bigblabla

Pigeon
I have my first caffeine free day today since years ago. I have reduced caffeine several times but only for a week at a time. It felt great but I felt like I needed a little 8 oz cup of joe or a coke or tea then i would just ramp it back up again.

The last week Ive just drank 10 oz of coffee in the morning. The week before that I would have 24 oz of coffee in the mornings. Most of the past several years I would drink at least a few big cups of coffee daily.

Henry Makow had an article on his site about caffeine blues four years ago so I read that book. I still couldnt commit to no caffeine.

Today was fun. Feel nice and relaxed. I handled a couple credit card issues over the phone. I got mad but not as mad as little errands like that make caffeined me.

I have noticed brain fog! I have been meditating twice a day 20 minutes and my mind wanders so much more uncontrollably this week.

This thread encouraged me to try to reduce and quit caffeine again so thanks.

My skin does look better too.

westernman

Sparrow
I've been off caffeine totally for 1 month now, and I would say mixed results.

On the one hand, my mood is more stable, but stably down. I think a lot of this is situational, as I am 24, single, and back living with parents (ongoing for a few 5 months now). That's not a situation that should bring a man joy. I notice clearer skin, whiter teeth, and a cleaner mouth. I think I am dreaming more.

On the other hand, I feel beat. No energy or drive. Waking up early is hard, and no matter what, I don't seem to have energy until after 11:00 AM. Every day I am fed up with myself, and restless to get out of this slump, but have no organic drive to do it.

With all that 'good news' I don't think I will go back to caffeine. I haven't drank alcohol in 3 years and never smoked. I believe drugs inhibit our natural guidance. If you need drugs to cope with life, you need to change your life.

Here is a two-part sermon preached by Joey Faust against caffeine consumption. You don't hear many preachers who preach that. This can help you if you are trying to get off caffeine. He talks about an ancient Persian emperor who drank a lot of coffee, and he ended up developing an aversion to women.