Giving up caffeine is a game changer

I think the best way to control your coffee intake (or any other substance) is to assign it a time and a place for use. On another subject, you should be doing this with every one of your dollars as well. Personally, Coffee = during work hours or pre-workout. If you can practice restricting the window of your intake and reducing the frequency of your intake within that window (progressively in each case) I guarantee you can get down to 1 cup of coffee per weekday morning by the end of the year. Not only will you feel the physical accomplishment but the mental accomplishment of regaining control over your passions.
Im still relatively young but have been drinking coffee everyday for about 8 years.

I've given it up for a day or two at a time and as most of you know had the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. It is real.

Then again you have to ask yourself this as a regular coffee drinker, What is this really? A bean made from the coffee plant, processed, roasted etc, you drink it, gives you a sensory high/adrenaline/norepinephrine high followed by a subsequent crash.

It's the socially accepted legal everyday, liquid cocaine. (maybe just a lesser harsh version of it)

See all those studies year on year claiming the benefits of coffee?, I reckon it's all bullshit. Acidic shit made from a plant miles away that makes you chronically depressed and extremely fatigued when you don't have it is meant to be good for you?

Think about it.

If you're a coffee drinker, and I don't mean a pissy one which is weak like 50mg caffeine ash tray water, I mean a decent strong one....and you drink one or two of these a day, and have been for a long time I beg you to just stop for at least 3 days without caffeine.

You can't.

Brain fog, extreme fatigue and tiredness,moody,depressed.

Been off it maybe 2.5 weeks now. Honestly the first 8/9 days were horrible. This is a real thing. I needed coffee every morning and afternoon to keep me awake. But ask yourself why do you need to feel awake? I also didn't realize caffeine will give you very very slight anxiety due to it's stimulant structure, although I knew most of this information, I can really see now how your body should function without it.

My sleep is at least 10 times better. I used to toss and turn during the night for years, even though my latest coffee would be 3pm max, bed by 11 usually, then dying to drink the same beautiful stuff the next morning at 7 am. Bad cycle to be in. And trust me I love coffee.

I'm more relaxed overall and get less antsy about certain things even though I never thought of myself as an anxious person. It also dries out your skin badly being a diuretic. I wont go into detail about the mineral leaching effects it has, google them.

I also think if you have any stomach problems you need to quit caffeine. That acidity over time will tear the lining of your stomach up. It's an unnatural compound doing damage to your brain, as much as you feel awake and focused when drinking it, it's all fake.

I feel like I can focus better now than when I drank it.

Maybe turn this thread into a challenge, I dunno, maybe some of you can post experiences giving up caffeine, the worlds most used otc drug.

Adios.

I relapsed after abstaining caffeine for three weeks straight. It started slowly with black tea, then energy drinks, then espresso. Sometimes even two or three espressi a day. Took all the life out of me after a week or so. For now, I detox myself slowly with black and green tea for a couple of days before I go cold turkey. Headaches are severe, concentration off, and energy levels pretty low.

stugatz

Pelican
I used to drink over 4 cups a day, now I drink at least one, sometimes two, and it's supplemented with the occasional Red Bull or Diet Coke. Me and my housemate drink boatloads of that Bubly stuff because we're trying to get off of diet soda.

I decided to intentionally give coffee up this Christmas season since I'm not working at the moment - it'll be a decent enough experiment, and this thread is giving me more than enough reasons to kick the habit. (I love coffee from a culinary standpoint, though, so I want to enjoy it sometimes - just not be addicted.)

It's day 4. I didn't get that bad of a headache on days 1 and 2, but I had a bad one yesterday and woke up with a worse one today. Pounding water and trying to get through the days by not popping Aleve as a crutch. This is unpleasant.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Has anyone quit all caffeine/methylxanthines (coffee, tea, dark chocolate, soda`s) for an extended period of time, I.e. months, and seen a substantial improvement in any or several of the following health markers of the skin and hair;

-More hair (both with male pattern baldness and in general)
-Less dry hair
-Less grey hair (both scalp hair and otherwise)
-Less dry skin
-Less dry eyes
-undereye bag`s improvement (size and colouration) possibly less facial puffiness
-improvement in acne condition and maybe things like skin tags etc.

Especially keen on hearing from guys 40 and over who`ve tried quitting caffeine etc, as the adaptation to coffee and the other substances might be reduced with age as well. In other words, you`re tolerance to these substances will be diminished with age, and the cut-off for most Eurasians seems to be at the 35-40 years mark...

Last edited:
I relapsed after abstaining caffeine for three weeks straight. It started slowly with black tea, then energy drinks, then espresso. Sometimes even two or three espressi a day. Took all the life out of me after a week or so. For now, I detox myself slowly with black and green tea for a couple of days before I go cold turkey. Headaches are severe, concentration off, and energy levels pretty low.
I’ve been a lifelong daily soda drinker. For me, I think the caffeine addiction isn’t the hardest part, but it’s really that reward mechanism of the habit. I love stupid little missions to gas stations and convenience stores to create little stress free pauses in life. They are my “cigarette break” so to speak. It probably sounds quite petty for more disciplined people, but these little trips are often just enough jolts to stave off more depression for a day. They get me out and about, they reset me so to speak. I suspect thats why you tend to see lower class people patronizing gas stations and convenience stores in America, they cater to people with low impulse control (candy, soda, cigaretttes, lottery, etc.)

Last edited:

MtnMan

Kingfisher
I’ve been a lifelong daily soda drinker. For me, I think the caffeine addiction isn’t the hardest part, but it’s really that reward mechanism of the habit. I love stupid little missions to gas stations and convenience stores to create little stress free pauses in life. They are my “cigarette break” so to speak. It probably sounds quite petty for more disciplined people, but these little trips are often just enough jolts to stave off more depression for a day. They get me out and about, they reset me so to speak. I suspect thats why you tend to see lower class people patronizing gas stations and convenience stores in America, they cater to people with low impulse control (candy, soda, cigaretttes, lottery, etc.)
I really miss the trips to the corner store for coffee, even though its not great coffee.

bucky

Ostrich
I used to drink over 4 cups a day, now I drink at least one, sometimes two, and it's supplemented with the occasional Red Bull or Diet Coke. Me and my housemate drink boatloads of that Bubly stuff because we're trying to get off of diet soda.

I decided to intentionally give coffee up this Christmas season since I'm not working at the moment - it'll be a decent enough experiment, and this thread is giving me more than enough reasons to kick the habit. (I love coffee from a culinary standpoint, though, so I want to enjoy it sometimes - just not be addicted.)

It's day 4. I didn't get that bad of a headache on days 1 and 2, but I had a bad one yesterday and woke up with a worse one today. Pounding water and trying to get through the days by not popping Aleve as a crutch. This is unpleasant.
Good luck, man. I used to be just under the "recommended" 400mg a day, all from my preworkout and those Bai antioxidant drinks, and the first time I tried to go without for a few days the headaches were brutal by day two. They eventually went away though. Now I limit myself to just a half scoop of preworkout on workout days, so about 150mg five or six times a week. I'm currently on one of my force five-day rest periods so no caffeine at all and I'm having no physical withdrawls, although I miss the caffeine psychologically and am looking forward to having it again in a few days.

Easy_C

Peacock
lol, maybe you have a very strong enzyme and can digest caffeine too quickly for it to have an effect on you
It’s possible. I had a classmate on one of our break trips who I saw put down 6+ servings of coffee (the strong Espressos they sell in European cafes) without any effect. He was Asian which may be a factor.

Nate_Drake

Sparrow
My 2 cents. As I've gotten older, Caffeine has had a more deliteraious impact on my health so I have had cut back significantly. Once you understand the basic mechanisms of action, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to abuse it. Especially if you are on the younger side, I recommend cutting back on it as much as possible. What I can say, at least for me, is that Caffeine has been a sort of gateway drug primarily because it works around your bodies normal signaling, which in and of itself may not be so bad, but long term it can result in a death by a thousand cuts. This happened to me because it raises cortisol and anxiety which can then lead to all sorts of things like depression, bad decision making(when you're trying to force yourself out of fatigue), and using other substances to compensate. WIth caffeine, I say take it easy and if you find yourself needing anything more than 2 cups of coffee( a day, then you will very likely have health problems in other areas. Also, non organic coffee is sprayed with all sorts of pesticides, insecticides, and fungicides which will interfere with your hormones. Also in some physiologies, caffeine, even when only consumed in the AM can stay in your system all day and inhibit sleep.

I quit back in June and am so glad I did. That stuff is poison.

If you are new to this or recently quit, understand it will take months for you to get over it and into your natural functioning state. also, Sleep actually matters when you are off stimulants

Can anyone of you recommend good decaffeinated coffee? I heard that decaf is worse because of the chemicals used to remove caffeine. If anybody of you knows of a healthy alternative I'm all ears.

Can anyone of you recommend good decaffeinated coffee? I heard that decaf is worse because of the chemicals used to remove caffeine. If anybody of you knows of a healthy alternative I'm all ears.
I haven't looked into the chemicals in it, but I do know when I drink it I still get a buzz, So I avoid it now

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Has anyone quit all caffeine/methylxanthines (coffee, tea, dark chocolate, soda`s) for an extended period of time, I.e. months, and seen a substantial improvement in any or several of the following health markers of the skin and hair;

-More hair (both with male pattern baldness and in general)
-Less dry hair
-Less grey hair (both scalp hair and otherwise)
-Less dry skin
-Less dry eyes
-undereye bag`s improvement (size and colouration) possibly less facial puffiness
-improvement in acne condition and maybe things like skin tags etc.
I've quit all stimulants one year ago: haven't had a caffeinated beverage or any uppers in all of 2020.

Can testify to the changes bolded above. I never wake up bleary eyes anymore, and do not feel groggy in the mornings. Back when I was drinking a cup a day, I basically felt dead before that first cup. Used to wake up feeling fried; nowadays I awake with a clear head. Lord knows I'm not going back to caffeine.

The title of this thread is very accurate. You won't believe the enormous difference it makes until you cut it out for an extended period of time.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
I looked up "Swiss water process" decaf coffee and read some of their marketing material, it seems legit to my non-scientific ears so I went for it.

Elmore

Kingfisher
I drink strong black coffee in the morning & after lunch. Tea throughout the day up until 5pm. Both without sugar. I never have latte or any other fancy variant than americano / espresso, or simple Black Tea.

Honestly i just enjoy the bump it gives too much to forego it. It focusses the mind, aids in creativity & is a natural appetite suppressant (for me at least). I like to fast 16 hours every day, & without coffee in the morning feel i'd be way more likely to fold & eat a breakfast.

I also bang a couple of 100mg's tablets before training, if its no later than 2pm. I'm sure it's just habit, and people will tell me that if i get the monkey of my back, i can train fine without, but the idea of hitting the gym not at least semi-buzzed on caffeine is a grim one. I feel sluggish & lacking drive without it.

No doubt that makes me a member of the socially acceptable drug addict brigade, but there you go.

I also habitually take an ibuprofen and a couple of melatonin pills before bed, for deeper sleep, and up until very recently glycine too.

I'm sure that's not ideal, but as i barely drink to any kind of inebriation, & never do drugs, i feel pretty comfortable with my addictions.

TL;DR,
I swear i'm not hooked, just chippin'.

I used to rely on caffeine every morning. However the side effects where just too much. I really do not like the constricted feeling it can give
to your face and chest. When it came to those two Red Bull was a serious offender.

Found that best thing to do now in order to not feel groggy is splash coldest water you can find on your face when you wake up every morning. Then go outside in your yard for 5 mins and get some air in to your system and then go back in and have breakfast. I find that access to fresh air greatly improves your brains wake state.

Remember when you are asleep for 8-10 hours you spend all night inside severely restricting your access to oxygen. Fresh air is the greatest natural stimulant for the human body and is much better and more potent than something like coffee.

Last edited:
Interesting - I haven't been on the Roosh forum for a few months now and the week after I quit caffeine, here I am.

The withdrawal symptoms were very very real; ache in the bones, brain fog, fatigue out of nowhere, also trouble staying asleep, strange effects on digestion and a general feeling of sickness.

The benefits after about 9 days are much better sleep, improved mental focus, clearer head, more regulated emotions and an overall feeling of well being. I don't intend to go back to coffee / soft drinks or other caffeine substances any time soon.

Last edited:

datdude84

Pigeon
I have a love/hate relationship with caffeine as well. It's a wonderful adrenaline rush for getting the day started but damn that crash. Every person responds differently to stimulants so each person should just be aware of the cravings and withdrawals. i detox on the weekends and limit myself on the weekdays where I am REALLY dragging

I more or less quit coffee about a year ago. Love the flavor, but my health is better all around without caffeine. Highly recommend giving up the habit - you'll feel much better if you get your energy the natural way, e.g. proper sleep, hydration, and diet/lifestyle habits that facilitate testosterone levels.