Gnosticism and its impact on Christianity

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
This describes the fascination with trans-humanism and the singularity. There's a best selling book aptly titled "Homo Deus" that describes the end goal of all this techno-humanism. https://brandgenetics.com/speed-summary-homo-deus-a-brief-history-of-tomorrow/
Yes, that's a scary peace. Wanna see a real clown world admission?

But they have won fans among big beasts in industry, politics and science including Barack Obama, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Daniel Kahneman and Jared Diamond.

Amazing how they tip their hands.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
As far as I can tell, Gnostic intellectuals were extremely "innovative" in the early days for their systematic integration of Hellenic philosophy, especially Platonism and Pythagoreanism, with Christianity, and they represented a broader movement to create systematic theology to contrast against Hebrew dogmatism and blind-faith fideism.

After the One Apostolic Catholic Church was intellectually justified, and the fires burned away the wood to leave behind the gold, many of Gnostic trends (not the ideas themselves, but some of the undercurrents) were cleaned up and integrated into Christian theology, and you can especially see it in the Neoplatonism influences.

Also, IIRC even the Neoplatonists hated the Gnostics, even though the former were also inspired by and can be considered "purified versions" of them.

Regarding the moral corruption of Gnostic leaders, I'm not familiar, but it would be pretty easy that Gnosticism, as a half-baked philosophy which was 50% true and 50% false could easily be co-opted by detestable individuals.

Chains of Peter

Woodpecker
"Probably" not very Christian...

EcTIRh0U8AA-hJu
Eeeeeeeeewwww. Where did you find this?

randay047

Pigeon
When I first checked out her vids and took the time to digest them, I found that her content proved to be a stumbling block to me regarding the faith. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt but she proved to be just another body trying to make a name for herself.

Another bad sign is how she treats the book of enoch as inspired scripture.
I'm not familiar with her. Just watched a bit of her video on who is God. It seems to me, though she has not explicitly said it yet, that she's a unitarian, which is heresy. But she hasn't outright said it yet. Will check some more.

Grey

Sparrow
As far as I can tell, Gnostic intellectuals were extremely "innovative" in the early days for their systematic integration of Hellenic philosophy, especially Platonism and Pythagoreanism, with Christianity, and they represented a broader movement to create systematic theology to contrast against Hebrew dogmatism and blind-faith fideism.

After the One Apostolic Catholic Church was intellectually justified, and the fires burned away the wood to leave behind the gold, many of Gnostic trends (not the ideas themselves, but some of the undercurrents) were cleaned up and integrated into Christian theology, and you can especially see it in the Neoplatonism influences.

I would opine Gnostics burned themselves out with little practical intervention from the Church. As did the harder chiliastic soft-gnostic sects like montanists. Their policies opposed family formation, productive work, and stable community establishment. The only gnostic sect that did survive a long time was Manicheans, and it did so by having a two-teir membership in which the vast majority of it's 'saved' were allowed to live life like normal human beings and work and have families.

It's hard to overstate how often wickedness ceases to exist because it simply destroyed itself. It is the nature of wickedness to destroy itself, the only question is how long of a time-horizon is that destruction on.

Also, IIRC even the Neoplatonists hated the Gnostics, even though the former were also inspired by and can be considered "purified versions" of them.

Regarding the moral corruption of Gnostic leaders, I'm not familiar, but it would be pretty easy that Gnosticism, as a half-baked philosophy which was 50% true and 50% false could easily be co-opted by detestable individuals.

I am not sure such an integration of any of the underlying trends of Gnosticism is a good thing. In fact damaging the Church in many ways and having to be purged.

Albeit not always successfully.

I would opine Gnostics burned themselves out with little practical intervention from the Church. As did the harder chiliastic soft-gnostic sects like montanists. Their policies opposed family formation, productive work, and stable community establishment. The only gnostic sect that did survive a long time was Manicheans, and it did so by having a two-teir membership in which the vast majority of it's 'saved' were allowed to live life like normal human beings and work and have families.

It's hard to overstate how often wickedness ceases to exist because it simply destroyed itself. It is the nature of wickedness to destroy itself, the only question is how long of a time-horizon is that destruction on.

Manicheanism has managed to damage the church especially in regards to its attitudes in regards to sexuality. This influence is evident in the works of Augustine and Jerome which were each in term influenced by them and they are unable to completely purge themselves of the poisonous ideologies.

Both dissolute sexuality and frigidity were evident in the gnostics.

Here is a good run down of gnosticisim. It was a diverse group: some of them descending into wild hedonism, while others hated the flesh and just wanted to die.

It has many manifestations, some of them seemingly contradictory. One of them is the rejection of salvation by proper actions and faith, to be replaced by the possession of knowledge. Being enlightened with some knowledge most people do not have is the name of the game, at least to some gnostics.

Just my opinion, but some of the more wild conspiracy theories out there have a bit of gnosticism behind them. "I believe X, which most of you silly people do not see, so I am one of the special people."

Sure, there have been real conspiracies throughout history, but Adam and Eve did not fall due to the Jews, the Free Masons, the Tech Oligarchs, et al. They fell due to a desire to be like God, and we have all inherited the consequence. I think that for much of human history it was not always that a secret group was hurting everyone else--it was also everyone's fallen nature hurting themselves. The issue being, that if all the <fill in the blank> group disappeared tomorrow, it would not be Heaven on Earth--those remaining would screw it up real fast.

Grey

Sparrow
Manicheanism has managed to damage the church especially in regards to its attitudes in regards to sexuality. This influence is evident in the works of Augustine and Jerome which were each in term influenced by them and they are unable to completely purge themselves of the poisonous ideologies.

Both dissolute sexuality and frigidity were evident in the gnostics.

Sad but true.

And the second paragraph is quite right. Both dissolute sexuality and frigidity prevent stable family formation.

Gnosticism summed up:
EavAHCWXsAgnjq0

The only thing that even remotely makes sense is their Marcionite sense of God. You know the usual atheist objection to God as cruel and capricious. Therefore concludes many of them.

He is the Demiurge.

So what is the deal with this sect? And why does its beliefs sound like someone wrote bad fan-fiction on par with Scientology?
I am a Gnostic, but the key difference between us and the Abrahamic Religions and other Manmade religions is that our Basis of beliefs are based around explaining things as they are. Gnosticism is more of a process and an on-going project than a finalized religion that is just labeled as some Absolute Truth.

The Demiurge is basically the "False God" or whom most refer to as Lucifer or the Devil, but whereas Abrahamic religions believe that God created this world and the entire Universe, we Gnostics do not believe this, but that this universe and world have been sealed off from the Divine and that we have been enslaved by the Demiurge in which this false God has usurped powers and the image of being the Real God.

A lot of people are not comfortable with the idea of legitimizing Gnosticism because of this fact, and also because we do not believe in Prayer or Forms of Worship. Our concept of God is completely different in so many ways than the Abrahamic Faiths.

The other thing is that much of the original Gnostic Knowledge has been lost, so it is especially something that requires a very inquisitive and persistent mind and the willingness to even accept things at times which haven't been fully concluded.

Your modern religions like the Abrahamic ones, including Buddhism and many others originally based many of the things they did on the Gnostic Knowledge.

Gnosticism is also very different as well, as you cannot "convert" to become a Gnostic. You either know you are one once you delve into the studies of it, or you know you never were one, so hence there is no cult leadership or agenda that could be at play.

I am a Gnostic, but the key difference between us and the Abrahamic Religions and other Manmade religions is that our Basis of beliefs are based around explaining things as they are. Gnosticism is more of a process and an on-going project than a finalized religion that is just labeled as some Absolute Truth.

The Demiurge is basically the "False God" or whom most refer to as Lucifer or the Devil, but whereas Abrahamic religions believe that God created this world and the entire Universe, we Gnostics do not believe this, but that this universe and world have been sealed off from the Divine and that we have been enslaved by the Demiurge in which this false God has usurped powers and the image of being the Real God.

A lot of people are not comfortable with the idea of legitimizing Gnosticism because of this fact, and also because we do not believe in Prayer or Forms of Worship. Our concept of God is completely different in so many ways than the Abrahamic Faiths.

The other thing is that much of the original Gnostic Knowledge has been lost, so it is especially something that requires a very inquisitive and persistent mind and the willingness to even accept things at times which haven't been fully concluded.

Your modern religions like the Abrahamic ones, including Buddhism and many others originally based many of the things they did on the Gnostic Knowledge.

Gnosticism is also very different as well, as you cannot "convert" to become a Gnostic. You either know you are one once you delve into the studies of it, or you know you never were one, so hence there is no cult leadership or agenda that could be at play.
All I see is assertions. But not yet proof of those claims.

What proof do you want? You can read it into, but Gnosticism is more of a system that explains and speaks for itself. It has no official interpreter or head of it like a Pope or other Official. It's actually more of a Scientific / Metaphysical path.

The other thing is we don't enforce or encourage anyone to read or understand anything, because we believe that people will appreciate things much better if they look into it and come to understand it for themselves first, rather than us convincing them of something. For someone to learn the truth is for their own good.

What proof do you want? You can read it into, but Gnosticism is more of a system that explains and speaks for itself. It has no official interpreter or head of it like a Pope or other Official. It's actually more of a Scientific / Metaphysical path.

The other thing is we don't enforce or encourage anyone to read or understand anything, because we believe that people will appreciate things much better if they look into it and come to understand it for themselves first, rather than us convincing them of something. For someone to learn the truth is for their own good.

Everything can be made to sound convincing. But unless there is a solid footing in reality like with evidence then it can be dismissed as elaborate mental gymnastics.

Christianity has it's footing in the literal fact of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, Archaeology, fulfilled prophecy and so forth.

The actions of past Gnostics to weave elaborate theories about Sophia and the Demiurge for example has no solid basis so far.

And then there is all the criticisms by the Church Fathers that is readily accessible that you will no doubt be familiar with.

Everything can be made to sound convincing. But unless there is a solid footing in reality like with evidence then it can be dismissed as elaborate mental gymnastics.

Christianity has it's footing in the literal fact of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, Archaeology, fulfilled prophecy and so forth.

The actions of past Gnostics to weave elaborate theories about Sophia and the Demiurge for example has no solid basis so far.

And then there is all the criticisms by the Church Fathers that is readily accessible that you will no doubt be familiar with.
Of course, naturally. We don't do any marketing or superstition, that's why it doesn't sound as convincing.

Manmade religions always have to be based on superstition and a key leader / figure to crystallize the belief and also to legitimize it in people's minds.

You probably also would not find many Gnostics who are open to revealing everything, because some of the most Sacred Knowledge of Gnosticism is only expressed in the Mystery Schools, and one has to demonstrate an earnest desire to learn more of it and also demonstrate responsibility for handling the information that would be disclosed to them in the process of learning.

I would also say there are a lot of unpleasant things told in Gnosticism that people may become very uncomfortable and not okay with accepting to learn, because it's something that also delves into where we came from and where we are going, and other realities that explain our existence on this Earth. But at least we won't sit here and preach to tell you that you have to have faith or some other type of mantra.

I can guarantee you there is much more uncomfortable things in Gnosticism, that if most people really know about it and truly come to understand and believe it for themselves, they will commit suicide. Whereas other religions give them promises and hopes for their time at present living here.

Most Christians will never accept Gnostic beliefs, in fact there were times in the past when for example the Cathars tried to introduce and merge their Gnostic beliefs into Christianity and they were persecuted and exterminated for it.

Of course, naturally. We don't do any marketing or superstition, that's why it doesn't sound as convincing.

Manmade religions always have to be based on superstition and a key leader / figure to crystallize the belief and also to legitimize it in people's minds.

You probably also would not find many Gnostics who are open to revealing everything, because some of the most Sacred Knowledge of Gnosticism is only expressed in the Mystery Schools, and one has to demonstrate an earnest desire to learn more of it and also demonstrate responsibility for handling the information that would be disclosed to them in the process of learning.

I would also say there are a lot of unpleasant things told in Gnosticism that people may become very uncomfortable and not okay with accepting to learn, because it's something that also delves into where we came from and where we are going, and other realities that explain our existence on this Earth. But at least we won't sit here and preach to tell you that you have to have faith or some other type of mantra.

I can guarantee you there is much more uncomfortable things in Gnosticism, that if most people really know about it and truly come to understand and believe it for themselves, they will commit suicide. Whereas other religions give them promises and hopes for their time at present living here.

Most Christians will never accept Gnostic beliefs, in fact there were times in the past when for example the Cathars tried to introduce and merge their Gnostic beliefs into Christianity and they were persecuted and exterminated for it.
I am sure in the modern secular environment this Gnostic knowledge can be public without fear of persecution.

But I don't think it's ever compatible with Christianity because Christianity fundamentally assumes that this reality isn't a prison even though it has fallen courtesy of Satan and that matter and Physical Bodies are good and that this reality is in the process of being renewed as a result of the Work of Jesus Christ. Likewise Gnostics assumes that God in the Old Testament is the Demiurge contrary to Christianity.

Catharism is basically pretending to be Christianity without being Christianity

If it's out in the open under sunlight it may actually be not as it is cracked out to be.

As for the uncomfortable things in Gnosticism. I would have to guess that what the Matrix Movie was all about sort of sums out what Gnostics believe about reality.

That this is a "Matrix". A prison for beings from a higher dimension trapped in matter. I don't know what happened to the original picture I posted but that seems to be it.

Again though this secret knowledge. I don't see how they know all this in the 1st place for all we know its just fanfiction made up by overactive imaginations disguised as "Deep knowledge" and then there is the case for whatever evidence backs their beliefs up.

Last edited:
For sure, persecution would not be as much of a problem in the modern times, but the issues are more with information being perverted or distorted in some form, or used for some other nefarious purposes to build some kind of new religion. The New Agers also have done a lot of perversion of Esoteric Knowledge too, they can never be trusted.

You are right, Gnosticism is not compatible with Christianity in any way. But at least be glad we aren't Atheists, because Atheists present themselves to just be disbelievers in God, but what they don't tell others is that they have a global, sinister agenda at play! The Atheists like to pretend they are not a religion, but they too have their own religion and church.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox

There isn’t any “proof,” it’s just an incoherent set of beliefs that changes according to each person who claims to be a “gnostic.” At the end of the day it’s a trap set by Satan for people who have high intelligence and low faith, they already want to believe they’re superior to everyone around them so he gives them the bait of “secret knowledge.” This allows them to look down on people without the “secret knowledge” and puff up the pride they were already feeling. As St. Irenaeus pointed out almost 2,000 years ago, scratch a “gnostic” deeply enough and you’ll find a desire for sex, money, or power over others.

There isn’t any “proof,” it’s just an incoherent set of beliefs that changes according to each person who claims to be a “gnostic.” At the end of the day it’s a trap set by Satan for people who have high intelligence and low faith, they already want to believe they’re superior to everyone around them so he gives them the bait of “secret knowledge.” This allows them to look down on people without the “secret knowledge” and puff up the pride they were already feeling. As St. Irenaeus pointed out almost 2,000 years ago, scratch a “gnostic” deeply enough and you’ll find a desire for sex, money, or power over others.
Or worse yet. Spiritual pride. Especially among those who are celibate and consider sex within marriage and marriage itself and offspring as abominations as one example.

This mischaracterization of even its legitimate expression in addition to the desire thereof as Lust despite it being in wedlock to one's legitimate spouse.

Above it all. Thinking they have overcome the flesh and freshly desires yet fatally being as Satan himself in his arrogance.

Spiritual pride like the Pharisees closes off the avenues of repentance compared to those who sin according to the flesh and recognising their fallen nature.

That's why Prostitutes and tax collectors came to our LORD but not the hypocritical and prideful Pharisees by and large(Matthew 21:31)

I also linked this above:

If all those quotes are made up let me know. But it doesn't look good in regards to Manichean influence.

It assumes fleshly desires are inherently evil. Despite it originally existing in a healthy state but only distorted by sin not created by sin.

(Edited out some statements since I investigated some of the quotes that I referenced).

Last edited:

RonaldB

Sparrow
ProbablyAlexandra posits that the LWO are fighting the DWO and that Q are the LWO. That the LWO would take over the DWO as inferred from esotericism and an unhealthy reading of American politics into Revelation.

In lieu of today's events, I confronted her on Instagram and pointed out that she was wrong. Her followers then jumped on me and she accused me of blindly following any entertainment and not doing my research then she blocked me.

Beware the grifter-soothsayer complex.
I checked on her a few days ago, and she's still arguing in the comments that something may happen in the near future. She spends a lot of time researching esoteric literature and I don't deny she's good at presenting her arguments, but I also think she's become influenced by those occult powers. Apparently, she's been sick for a few months now, and in my opinion, some evil spirit may be messing with her. The solution would be to see an exorcist, but as she's stated (indirectly) that she is against Catholicism (and maybe against Orthodox Christianity too), she won't be feeling good any time soon. God bless her! Anyway, I don't want to put anyone's faith into question.