Gold Investment Thread

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
One question I have for fellow gold /silver stackers is what type of physical gold is the most 'liquid' in a scenario where you want to liquidate for cash?

For example are valcambi or canadian mint gold bars easily sellable in the US? What about old foreign gold coins?

I'd guess the American Eagles and Buffalos have the quickest sale value, but could be wrong.

ItalianStallion9

Woodpecker
One question I have for fellow gold /silver stackers is what type of physical gold is the most 'liquid' in a scenario where you want to liquidate for cash?

For example are valcambi or canadian mint gold bars easily sellable in the US? What about old foreign gold coins?

I'd guess the American Eagles and Buffalos have the quickest sale value, but could be wrong.

Silver is easy. American eagles coins and buffalo rounds are known and are affordable. I've found that buffalos are about $7 cheaper than eagles, and sell for almost as much if you want to find a buyer. The 1ounce buffalo rounds are a great choice. Also - While it could be fun to get a 10 oz star wars silver bar, it's just not liquid enough and too obscure.

For gold also stick with the well known. Gold eagle, buffalo, Canada maples, or mainstream bars (ie: valcambi, pamp). My advice is to stick with mostly coins here. Everyone knows the Gold Eagles/Buffalos or Canadian Gold Maples. They are easy to stack, only a bit more $ than the generic bars, and sell for more too; don't go for some random South African or Chinese foreign coin to save $20; would you buy/recognize them if you were a buyer down the road?
One ounce is the standard weight for the US/Canada coins, but you can also pick up a few 1 or 5 gram bars for lower $ amounts.

This site is great to compare pricing on the online bullion providers: https://findbullionprices.com/

PS: don't overlook the silver 'junk' coins. Those silver half dollars (Franklins, Walking Liberties) are cheap to stack and very recognizable. If SHTF a silver eagle might hit $100 but how do you buy a loaf of bread? Snag up some silver half dollars, mercury dimes, war nickles (also quarters were made of silver pre-1965).