Gold Investment Thread

DeusLuxMeaEst

Pelican
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
One question I have for fellow gold /silver stackers is what type of physical gold is the most 'liquid' in a scenario where you want to liquidate for cash?

For example are valcambi or canadian mint gold bars easily sellable in the US? What about old foreign gold coins?

I'd guess the American Eagles and Buffalos have the quickest sale value, but could be wrong.

ItalianStallion9

Woodpecker
Protestant
One question I have for fellow gold /silver stackers is what type of physical gold is the most 'liquid' in a scenario where you want to liquidate for cash?

For example are valcambi or canadian mint gold bars easily sellable in the US? What about old foreign gold coins?

I'd guess the American Eagles and Buffalos have the quickest sale value, but could be wrong.

Silver is easy. American eagles coins and buffalo rounds are known and are affordable. I've found that buffalos are about $7 cheaper than eagles, and sell for almost as much if you want to find a buyer. The 1ounce buffalo rounds are a great choice. Also - While it could be fun to get a 10 oz star wars silver bar, it's just not liquid enough and too obscure.

For gold also stick with the well known. Gold eagle, buffalo, Canada maples, or mainstream bars (ie: valcambi, pamp). My advice is to stick with mostly coins here. Everyone knows the Gold Eagles/Buffalos or Canadian Gold Maples. They are easy to stack, only a bit more $ than the generic bars, and sell for more too; don't go for some random South African or Chinese foreign coin to save $20; would you buy/recognize them if you were a buyer down the road?
One ounce is the standard weight for the US/Canada coins, but you can also pick up a few 1 or 5 gram bars for lower $ amounts.

This site is great to compare pricing on the online bullion providers: https://findbullionprices.com/

PS: don't overlook the silver 'junk' coins. Those silver half dollars (Franklins, Walking Liberties) are cheap to stack and very recognizable. If SHTF a silver eagle might hit $100 but how do you buy a loaf of bread? Snag up some silver half dollars, mercury dimes, war nickles (also quarters were made of silver pre-1965).

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
Picked up a 1oz gold maple today. I do view it as a SHTF savings. If prices stay reasonable I'd like to pick another one up in another 3 months, but probably a different coin to mix it up. The doomer side of me also likes how gold is very portable, you could easily keep it on your person vs. silver which becomes bulky

For all the talk of inflation hype, gold and silver are kind of floating along in the same range lately, if not down (silver).

Gold is about at it's 2011 peak from after the great recession.

Last edited:

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Gold is on the move right now. It has been quietly been appreciating in price over the last 10 days and now today it's up around $35.
The precious metals investors/pundits whose YouTube videos I've been watching over the past week or so predicted that the price of gold would jump from anywhere from three months from now to a year from now. Interestingly, the younger "experts" predicted it would be sooner rather than later, while the older pundits, such as Rick Rule (who used to work for Sprott), said it would be closer to a year. It will be interesting to see who's right.

Gold mining stocks generally increased in value both Thursday and Friday while the rest of the market fell. I don't think they've gone up in value over three consecutive days since their peak almost a year ago. So, we'll see if the gold rally continues on Monday.

BeatUpTruck

Robin
Other Christian
Looks like it's only two right now that I can find:

1. Gold Resource Corp (GORO)

2. Resolute Mining (RSG)

I can vouch for GORO as I've purchased some shares with them and have done a deep dive into their financial reports to try to make sure that they're legit. I have not given Resolute a hard look. I haven't opted-in to GORO's bullion dividend option as I don't have enough shares with them to qualify, but if I did it would be tempting to elect for it, just for the experience of having a company mail silver or gold to my house.
Both of these companies stock prices are way down - can anyone explain why, and do you guys see them going up?

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Both of these companies stock prices are way down - can anyone explain why, and do you guys see them going up?
This is what I understand is going on with gold stocks right now, and others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Gold mining stocks generally follow the price of gold. For example, gold exceeded $2000 an oz in mid-2020, and gold mining stocks, in general, also reached five-year highs at the same time. The price of gold fell to $1700 by the beginning of 2021, and gold mining stock values fell in tandem. Gold then went back up to 1900 in May 2021, and gold mining stocks went right back up with it. The price then fell almost to 1700, and gold mining stocks fell right with it.

However, and here's the curious thing right now, gold rebounded to 1800 by October, but gold mining stocks did not follow. They stayed low and even went lower. Many gold mining stocks hit 18-month lows this past December. I think it's a combination of various factors, primarily the bearish sentiment around the stock market under Biden's inept administration, plus a lack of confidence that the price of gold will continue to go up. Several gold mining companies at the end of the year announced record gold production, and their stock prices responded by decreasing by several cents.

The last month and a half or so the price of gold has started to go up again, and is now close to 1900. When the price of gold starts to climb like this, investors will generally start piling into the largest gold miners at first, because those companies will be getting the greatest benefit from the increase in price, since they produce the most ounces. Also, the larger companies are perceived as more likely to keep robust production flowing with economies of scale. Barrick Gold, one of the largest producers, for example, has seen its stock price climb from $18.50 to $23 over the past three weeks.

Once the large companies reach full valuation, then investors will start piling into the medium-sized companies. Alamos Gold, for example, started increasing about 10 days ago and has risen a little over a dollar in valuation. That's still far from its previous 52-week high, so it may have some more ground to gain dependent on the price of gold remaining steady or continuing to increase.

The last area for gold opportunists is small mining stocks, like GORO or RSG. They're more risky stocks, so investors will likely wait to see if the recent gold rally will sustain itself before going whole-hog into the junior miners.

Personally, it seems to me that the junior producers, gold and silver, such as GORO, RSG, Alexco, America's, Calibre, and a bunch of others are still at very attractive prices and have a lot of room to go up. I'm not sure if gold is ready to explode in price yet (i.e., exceed $2000), as I've seen predictions from a number of pundits who predict that it will happen anywhere from three months to a year from now. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

BeatUpTruck

Robin
Other Christian
This is what I understand is going on with gold stocks right now, and others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Gold mining stocks generally follow the price of gold. For example, gold exceeded $2000 an oz in mid-2020, and gold mining stocks, in general, also reached five-year highs at the same time. The price of gold fell to $1700 by the beginning of 2021, and gold mining stock values fell in tandem. Gold then went back up to 1900 in May 2021, and gold mining stocks went right back up with it. The price then fell almost to 1700, and gold mining stocks fell right with it.

However, and here's the curious thing right now, gold rebounded to 1800 by October, but gold mining stocks did not follow. They stayed low and even went lower. Many gold mining stocks hit 18-month lows this past December. I think it's a combination of various factors, primarily the bearish sentiment around the stock market under Biden's inept administration, plus a lack of confidence that the price of gold will continue to go up. Several gold mining companies at the end of the year announced record gold production, and their stock prices responded by decreasing by several cents.

The last month and a half or so the price of gold has started to go up again, and is now close to 1900. When the price of gold starts to climb like this, investors will generally start piling into the largest gold miners at first, because those companies will be getting the greatest benefit from the increase in price, since they produce the most ounces. Also, the larger companies are perceived as more likely to keep robust production flowing with economies of scale. Barrick Gold, one of the largest producers, for example, has seen its stock price climb from $18.50 to $23 over the past three weeks.

Once the large companies reach full valuation, then investors will start piling into the medium-sized companies. Alamos Gold, for example, started increasing about 10 days ago and has risen a little over a dollar in valuation. That's still far from its previous 52-week high, so it may have some more ground to gain dependent on the price of gold remaining steady or continuing to increase.

The last area for gold opportunists is small mining stocks, like GORO or RSG. They're more risky stocks, so investors will likely wait to see if the recent gold rally will sustain itself before going whole-hog into the junior miners.

Personally, it seems to me that the junior producers, gold and silver, such as GORO, RSG, Alexco, America's, Calibre, and a bunch of others are still at very attractive prices and have a lot of room to go up. I'm not sure if gold is ready to explode in price yet (i.e., exceed $2000), as I've seen predictions from a number of pundits who predict that it will happen anywhere from three months to a year from now. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the info, it makes a lot of sense. I did read that a group of respected investors just bought a very large amount of GORO stock and the commenter said this firm tends to buy and hold. I guess that means that they expect gold to continue to rise. Maybe due to hyperinflation?

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Thanks for the info, it makes a lot of sense. I did read that a group of respected investors just bought a very large amount of GORO stock and the commenter said this firm tends to buy and hold. I guess that means that they expect gold to continue to rise. Maybe due to hyperinflation?
Yes, the prevailing opinion among precious metals investors is that inflation will eventually cause a run on gold and silver and that right now is a good time to buy because many of the related stocks are at bargain prices. I have increased my weight in a number of small, in-production mining stocks so I'm hoping that they're right.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Gold prices are moving up fast with overnight war in Ukraine. (BTC Down)

Gold is doing what it does.
Yes, gold was up $48 today to $1961, which is striking distance of the magical $2k line. Curiously, most gold mining stocks fell a few cents today. If the gold price stays steady over the next couple of trading days, I hope the mining stocks will start to pop. Silver was up also. I've noticed that there is often a delayed reaction, as in a day or two or three, between something significant happening in the precious metals arena and the expected reaction in mining stock prices. Perhaps the afternoon rebound on Wall Street put a pause on the gold rush for the moment.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
Yes, gold was up $48 today to $1961, which is striking distance of the magical $2k line. Curiously, most gold mining stocks fell a few cents today. If the gold price stays steady over the next couple of trading days, I hope the mining stocks will start to pop. Silver was up also. I've noticed that there is often a delayed reaction, as in a day or two or three, between something significant happening in the precious metals arena and the expected reaction in mining stock prices. Perhaps the afternoon rebound on Wall Street put a pause on the gold rush for the moment.

I'm surprised at the sharp pullback on Gold after the initial surge with Ukranian risk.

I suppose the entire run up over the past couple of weeks could be attributed to the conflict (rumour) . It's hard to believe that 2 days after an invasion , that the price would be the same as it was prior to the invasion.

Perhaps the US response being so tepid took the risk off of the situation (war) which actually happened.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
Markets can only be manipulated for so long. The idea that it has and continues to be suppressed is both a reason to buy, and a reason not to buy.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
It seems like (not that it isn't worth having) gold always disappoints.
Perhaps it depends on the reason you're buying gold. I haven't bought any physical gold, but I have bought some gold producers as an alternate method of shorting the market. I guess it carries less risk than doing an actual short (I hope). So, in a way it makes me root for the market to crash. I'm in the weird position of being disappointed about days like yesterday and today, when the market regained almost all the momentum it had lost over the previous four days.

Anyway, as I said above, there was a delay in mining stocks after gold reached its one-year high yesterday. Most of the mining production stocks were up today although it might have been influenced by the rally in the rest of the market.

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Perhaps it depends on the reason you're buying gold. I haven't bought any physical gold, but I have bought some gold producers as an alternate method of shorting the market. I guess it carries less risk than doing an actual short (I hope). So, in a way it makes me root for the market to crash. I'm in the weird position of being disappointed about days like yesterday and today, when the market regained almost all the momentum it had lost over the previous four days.

Anyway, as I said above, there was a delay in mining stocks after gold reached its one-year high yesterday. Most of the mining production stocks were up today although it might have been influenced by the rally in the rest of the market.
We're apparently going to be entering bizarro world more and more it seems, geopolitically and cabal-wise. Anything can happen and probably will in the next 4-5 years.

Are you referring to Newmont, for example? Don't gold stocks/miners go down also in bad/bear markets?