Good Animation thread

Easy_C

Peacock
For kids shows l Recommend Grizzy and the Lemmings and Shaun the Sheep. Both are dialogue-free shows with a lot of surreal kinetic humor
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure opening:

I’ve started watching those and like the first three story arcs. They’re dumb fighting shows centered around character interactions make no bones about it. I also like that there’s absolutely nothing feminine about the cast and all the main characters are hyper-masculine to the point of often being obnoxious douchebags. They’re Definition not the kind of man who is “sensitive and in touch with his feelings”.

The main reason I don’t watch much anime is because I tend to judge shows by asking whether the show is going to influence someone to be more or less masculine. For most anime the answer is strongly “less” due to hyper-emotional, feminine male leads but JoJo is strongly “More” as the main characters are all the type who are in control of their emotions and focused on taking care of business.

I’d like to see any other recommendations for “strong male protagonist” shows.

For kids shows l Recommend Grizzy and the Lemmings and Shaun the Sheep. Both are dialogue-free shows with a lot of surreal kinetic humor

I’ve started watching those and like the first three story arcs. They’re dumb fighting shows centered around character interactions make no bones about it. I also like that there’s absolutely nothing feminine about the cast and all the main characters are hyper-masculine to the point of often being obnoxious douchebags. They’re Definition not the kind of man who is “sensitive and in touch with his feelings”.

The main reason I don’t watch much anime is because I tend to judge shows by asking whether the show is going to influence someone to be more or less masculine. For most anime the answer is strongly “less” due to hyper-emotional, feminine male leads but JoJo is strongly “More” as the main characters are all the type who are in control of their emotions and focused on taking care of business.

Indeed. Especially during the first 3 seasons there is strong influence from "Fist of the North Star" which was a massive hit in the country at that time. If there is an epitomine of masculinity in animation. That show really featured that.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
What I love about Jojo is that unlike a lot of these shows, the characters don't usually win by becoming more powerful but by figuring out creative ways of using their existing abilities. It's a really refreshing change of pace for the constant escalation of shows like Dragon Ball Z.

What I love about Jojo is that unlike a lot of these shows, the characters don't usually win by becoming more powerful but by figuring out creative ways of using their existing abilities. It's a really refreshing change of pace for the constant escalation of shows like Dragon Ball Z.
I noticed that too. At first it was really cool. But then as I got older the constant power creep ends up being the same in the end.

But the way the Author of Jojo structured conflict allowed it to have far more interesting variation as a result of the Heroes being forced to use their heads rather than sheer brawn since brawn cannot win them many of the fights they end up in. And he always managed to make it convincing that the Protagonists are on the ropes before a really creative solution gave them that victory.

I think it also helps that the author according to what I read is endlessly curious about many things. And so he is able to draw on a lot of experience to make story interesting.

And then there is the Art style on the Male leads too that I noticed which I dislike as much as the nature of the characters themselves. And this art style is disappearing more and more:

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
I've been watching the most recent episodes of Attack on Titan and have spotted some interesting philosophical threads emerging from a series that I initially thought, eight years ago, was edgy nihilism with no substance beyond cool fights.

Although it lagged somewhat around the start of season 3, this show has impressed me. Great animation, action, and character development. And interesting plot twists and careful writing as well. This show definitely doesn't suffer from LOST syndrome, I'm convinced the author plotted the whole thing out before he drew a page.

I've been watching the most recent episodes of Attack on Titan and have spotted some interesting philosophical threads emerging from a series that I initially thought, eight years ago, was edgy nihilism with no substance beyond cool fights.

Although it lagged somewhat around the start of season 3, this show has impressed me. Great animation, action, and character development. And interesting plot twists and careful writing as well. This show definitely doesn't suffer from LOST syndrome, I'm convinced the author plotted the whole thing out before he drew a page.

To avoid bad endings its very important to plot the storyline beforehand. Else Fans will be massively disappointed. Because that would destroy the series. Similar to how "Game of Thrones" ended. Although I think that TV series is inherently degenerate even when the plot was good.

Last edited:

Fuzzums_Wuzzums

Chicken
Orthodox

The author worked with the animation team closely and made a lot of odd changes that not even the animators understood. A good example is the random shots of birds or of purple flowers. These started since season 1.

Isayama said since the beginning that the story is about freedom. The metaphor he used was of him living pretty much an identical life of that of a prisoner in a jail cell. The major difference being the fact that he can leave at any time whereas the prisoner can never leave. Him having this option is why he is happy with his own life whereas a prisoner sees it as torment.

He's also a big fan of the tv show Breaking Bad. Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are characters in the story: Reiner and Falco. The characters of Hanji and Eren have not been plotted out from the start like the rest. Isayama mentioned he thought such characters were essential for a good story but initially he never planned for either of them to have major roles in the overall plot. This is why the two of them share a sibling bond in the story, Isayama even gives them the same haircut at some point.

I find manga/anime a fascinating medium. We're used to entertainment to have some sort of message but the Japanese look at manga and anime as just another trade. The point of them is to scratch an itch and there's a whole formulaic method to it. The authors want to make a living so their intention is to entertain the viewer unlike western entertainment which always seems to be pushing some sort of message. This is not to say that manga/anime is exempt from this but overall their success is a lot more organic than Hollywood success.

The author worked with the animation team closely and made a lot of odd changes that not even the animators understood. A good example is the random shots of birds or of purple flowers. These started since season 1.

Isayama said since the beginning that the story is about freedom. The metaphor he used was of him living pretty much an identical life of that of a prisoner in a jail cell. The major difference being the fact that he can leave at any time whereas the prisoner can never leave. Him having this option is why he is happy with his own life whereas a prisoner sees it as torment.

He's also a big fan of the tv show Breaking Bad. Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are characters in the story: Reiner and Falco. The characters of Hanji and Eren have not been plotted out from the start like the rest. Isayama mentioned he thought such characters were essential for a good story but initially he never planned for either of them to have major roles in the overall plot. This is why the two of them share a sibling bond in the story, Isayama even gives them the same haircut at some point.

I find manga/anime a fascinating medium. We're used to entertainment to have some sort of message but the Japanese look at manga and anime as just another trade. The point of them is to scratch an itch and there's a whole formulaic method to it. The authors want to make a living so their intention is to entertain the viewer unlike western entertainment which always seems to be pushing some sort of message. This is not to say that manga/anime is exempt from this but overall their success is a lot more organic than Hollywood success.
@Hermetic Seal

Plus Animation being a cheaper medium just like the black and white ink that is used to draw manga allows for greater elaboration of the creativity given the avenues that it opens up.

For example Legend of Galactic Heroes:

Opening Song:

Ending Song:

Featuring a Monarchical Galactic Empire modeled on the Prussian State vs a Modern United States Democracy but with futuristic Technology.

If Legend of Galactic Heroes was a live action TV series. It would be much more expensive to implement.

Here is a review of the Animation:

Last edited:
Guys who do cosplay?

Yes.

I've been working on a Hokuto no Ken cosplay for 15 years and my muscle mass is gonna be ready soon.

The clothes won't be a problem.

sample-5990aa5c8f46823e13e7bb7f16e3c820.jpg

I keep you guys in touch.