Good Animation thread

Easy_C

Peacock
And then there is the Art style on the Male leads too that I noticed which I dislike as much as the nature of the characters themselves. And this art style is disappearing more and more:
Very belated, but thanks for that link.

That kind of super "manly" style of animation is mostly dead unfortunately. A lot of what made some of those older series great in spite of their cheezy aspects was how hyper-masculine the characters and overall tone is. Suffice it to say that sitting around talking about their dreams and feelings is something you'd never see from the cast of Fist of the North Star or JoJo. Heck not even the old DragonBall series, as terrible as it was, had that.

That kind of super "manly" style of animation is mostly dead unfortunately. A lot of what made some of those older series great in spite of their cheezy aspects was how hyper-masculine the characters and overall tone is. Suffice it to say that sitting around talking about their dreams and feelings is something you'd never see from the cast of Fist of the North Star or JoJo. Heck not even the old DragonBall series, as terrible as it was, had that.

Something western comics and animators should emulate and carry on the torch for combined with excellent stories.

Or relearn how to do it if they did it before. But learn from the best to redo it far better.

Tetsuo Hara who drew the manga "Fist of the Blue sky" and "Fist of the North Star" especially qualifies as masterclass.

Last edited:

Indeed. Feelings back then we're shown not told. Kenshiro in the series "Fist of North Star" once cried when he saw the woman that he was set to marry and who he fought to rescue from the Man who kidnapped her no longer seemed to love him.

Sword

Sparrow
If you like Cowboy Bebop, check out Outlaw Star, very similar feeling, same time frame and style.

I actually liked it better, good adventure and humor.

Also check out this anime movie: Planetarian

This really shows what the medium is capable of. Its about a dying world, and a guy who finds a android devoted to teaching about the planets and how he tries to teach younger kids about hope and the stars. Very good themes, and likely to make you cry.

Lastly, another good movie: Sword of the Stranger. About swordsman in japan, really good animation, and a interesting plot as well.

If you like Cowboy Bebop, check out Outlaw Star, very similar feeling, same time frame and style.

I actually liked it better, good adventure and humor.

Also check out this anime movie: Planetarian

This really shows what the medium is capable of. Its about a dying world, and a guy who finds a android devoted to teaching about the planets and how he tries to teach younger kids about hope and the stars. Very good themes, and likely to make you cry.

Lastly, another good movie: Sword of the Stranger. About swordsman in japan, really good animation, and a interesting plot as well.

I watched the first anime series. And the last Anime movie in your list. They were great. :)

PassingTime

Pigeon
Orthodox
In my opinion, this movie is in a league of its own visually in the Anime genre. The way the sense of speed is portrayed is very impressive.

Redline.

REDLINE.full.758501.jpg

Some may have seen this already but to those that haven't. Basically, it's Japanese anime style Whacky Racers with a story that gets increasingly wilder as it progresses. It also had a 30 million dollar budget, took 7 years to make and nearly drove its production studio Madhouse to bankruptcy.

There's a fan made 4k remaster which I would highly recommend viewing as it looks incredible. Link: 4K Remaster Redline (Reddit post) - downloaded version has the English Dub which is very good also.

In my opinion, this movie is in a league of its own visually in the Anime genre. The way the sense of speed is portrayed is very impressive.

Redline.

REDLINE.full.758501.jpg

Some may have seen this already but to those that haven't. Basically, it's Japanese anime style Whacky Racers with a story that gets increasingly wilder as it progresses. It also had a 30 million dollar budget, took 7 years to make and nearly drove its production studio Madhouse to bankruptcy.

There's a fan made 4k remaster which I would highly recommend viewing as it looks incredible. Link: 4K Remaster Redline (Reddit post) - downloaded version has the English Dub which is very good also.

Watched that too. Love it.

Sword

Sparrow
Any good series lately that are worth watching? Looks like jewtube already took down outlaw star video I had posted above.
One series Ive wanted to watch was legend of galactic heroes, but its like hundreds of episodes.

Any good series lately that are worth watching? Looks like jewtube already took down outlaw star video I had posted above.
One series Ive wanted to watch was legend of galactic heroes, but its like hundreds of episodes.

Already posted already. Lots of good stuff in the 80's and 90's. Use "bakabt.me"(Need to sign up though). And "nyaa.se" to download what you need using bittorrent software. Like qtorrent.

There is also:

For dubbed streaming.

Sword

Sparrow
Yeah, I saw your stuff. Those older series look cool. I am asking if there is any NEW stuff like last year or two. Its getting increasingly pozzed, with your tranny/trap characters and increasingly effeminate males.

Easy_C

Peacock
If you want newer stuff that's not pozzed, you more or less have to look outside of English speaking countries unfortunately.

Speaking of, I think I've found one animated character I love. I thought he was stupid for years and then I actually saw what he's about.

Here's one of the most wholesome father-figures in any animated show (All-Might).

mha-all-might-nomu-03.jpg

Yeah, I saw your stuff. Those older series look cool. I am asking if there is any NEW stuff like last year or two. Its getting increasingly pozzed, with your tranny/trap characters and increasingly effeminate males.
So far I can only recommend the Old fashioned Seinen Animation earlier in the thread.

Stay tuned.

Easy_C

Peacock
A few more thoughts on why it's good.

The downside: sometimes tropey, but not as much as most. Mitigated by being heavily Western inspired. Has a few stupid "filler" episodes that need to be skipped and the first half of the second season is mostly skippable (boring and what you need to know is explained again later).

What I liked.

• I love what it's about: The main theme is about passing down your values, abilities, and burdens to the next generation. The most obvious thing is that the series hallmark power, which is a super strength ability that becomes more powerful over time and can be transferred from the bearer to another individual. It's a very literal passing the torch metaphor, but it's also not forgotten that passing on the values and selflessness of the heroes are equally important.

• The idea that what true heroes have in common is that they will instinctively move to save others almost as if they have no conscious choice in the matter. In my experience this is actually true. I've seen in the military how some people will react by freezing up, others will try to get to safety....and others will instinctively and immediately jump into the fight without any conscious decision to do so.

• Nobody is gifted. At the start the main character kind of sucks, does not win any fights, and it takes until the 4th season before he begins being able to stand on his own at all. Even the most gifted of the class isn't that much better and they lose against any opponent except the most basic street thug. Every bit of character ability advancement is hard earned by training and effort. It's also the first show I've seen where whatever training/school program there is felt like it had any kind of cohesive curriculum. A lot of this is because different characters improve their aptitudes and abilities largely following the plan and different aspects of superhero tropes (e.g. gear, signature moves) are developed one at a time over the course of the year

• Heros are not treated as the self insert, narcissistic fulfillment fantasies you see in the West. They're people and many of the themes revolve around how hard it is for people to live up to the ideal. Only a few characters actually do live up to any kind of heroic and selfless ideal (All might, the main protagonist, a few others). Others have varying motivations ranging from being hyper-competitive to just wanting the glory. One MAJOR theme is how many of the people in the role have zero business being there at all because their motivations are ultimately selfish or irrelevant. A couple of the characters get an opportunity to show what they're actually made of and it isn't always what you expect from them.

• It addresses a lot of societal issues that most "capecrap" shows avoid entirely and the rest of Marvel/DC address incompetently. Powers are heavily regulated by the government with everyone required to be registered (which causes some major issues). Not everyone likes the change to society and many with more uncanny or creepy seeming abilities are ostracized. People who don't have any ability are targets for bullying and abuse. Deku is confronted a few times with what happens to people who aren't as lucky as he was.

• To continue: one of the other major themes is about the cost of allowing someone else to shoulder the burden of creating a peaceful society for you. All Might serves as "The Symbol of Peace" in a role he willingly took on because he felt that people needed something to rally about. When he's forced to retire the order he built begins to slowly unravel and one of the major questions posed (not answered yet) is whether the society can stand without it's symbol or whether those who want destruction and violence

• It's got better villain development than any other comic type media I've seen. Much like the protagonist, the main villain sucks at the start and is not particularly competent. He's also got an ANTIFA mentality to where he's got massive problems of his own and his solution is not to reform society but to burn it all down.