Good Animation thread

Sword

Sparrow
Saw the my hero academia movie a few days ago... was pretty disappointed. It had tons of problems, but the thing that got me was the obvious meta-plot where the 'bad guys' were the pure humans that 'feared conspiracy theories of super powered mutants taking over'. It was funny because the entire movie literally proved the 'conspiracy theory' because regular humans with guns were plowed over like nothing by the 'heroes' with quirks. The bad guys were white, spiritual, based in europe, and had guns, so there you go.

Saw the my hero academia movie a few days ago... was pretty disappointed. It had tons of problems, but the thing that got me was the obvious meta-plot where the 'bad guys' were the pure humans that 'feared conspiracy theories of super powered mutants taking over'. It was funny because the entire movie literally proved the 'conspiracy theory' because regular humans with guns were plowed over like nothing by the 'heroes' with quirks. The bad guys were white, spiritual, based in europe, and had guns, so there you go.

Compared to the garbage caped heroes of DC and Marvel nowadays its still better story.

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I want to highlight a post by RVF top-gambler Mr. Accuride:

From: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/works-that-you-consider-to-be-genius.27417/page-2#post-960806
I am not a fan of Japanese animation in general, but Kaiji is one of those rare works that appears maybe once every 100 years regardless of the underlying medium.

Besides having a fantastic storyline, Kaiji delves pretty deeply into certain life and risk psychologies that I had previously thought were rather difficult to explain to others unless they had also lived through them. The author must have tried and succeeded at being a professional gambler or some variation of such at some point in his life, otherwise he would not have understood some of these themes.

The rough plot of Kaiji is that debt-ridden players sign up for high-stakes gambles to clear their debt. Winners can make off with a lot of money, but losers are sent to do hard labour, constructing an underground mega-bunker for an ultra-wealthy financier.

The gambles are simple, but have a devious twist. As an example, the first game is Rock Paper Scissors, but each player only has a limited # of cards representing each option. Unthinking players choose randomly, but smart players start card counting, forming groups to con other members, selling cards & then selling the info about those cards to others, etc. It gets fairly complicated.

Anyway, I've watched Kaiji a couple of times now, after first seeing it in 2014. It's a deep show, but also really entertaining. I'll often pause & think about what a character said, especially in the later episodes after the rock paper scissors arc.

One downside for some people could be the art style. Most characters are conventionally ugly. Most shots are still frames. None of this bothers me, but good to mention as this is the Good Animation thread.

Kaiji is great. Second season is not as good, but still fun.

I want to highlight a post by RVF top-gambler Mr. Accuride:

From: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/works-that-you-consider-to-be-genius.27417/page-2#post-960806

The rough plot of Kaiji is that debt-ridden players sign up for high-stakes gambles to clear their debt. Winners can make off with a lot of money, but losers are sent to do hard labour, constructing an underground mega-bunker for an ultra-wealthy financier.

The gambles are simple, but have a devious twist. As an example, the first game is Rock Paper Scissors, but each player only has a limited # of cards representing each option. Unthinking players choose randomly, but smart players start card counting, forming groups to con other members, selling cards & then selling the info about those cards to others, etc. It gets fairly complicated.

Anyway, I've watched Kaiji a couple of times now, after first seeing it in 2014. It's a deep show, but also really entertaining. I'll often pause & think about what a character said, especially in the later episodes after the rock paper scissors arc.

One downside for some people could be the art style. Most characters are conventionally ugly. Most shots are still frames. None of this bothers me, but good to mention as this is the Good Animation thread.

Kaiji is great. Second season is not as good, but still fun.

Kaiji inspired "Squid game" interestingly enough.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Over The Garden Wall is one of my favorite animated shows of the past decade. Great art style and animation, offbeat humor, terrific music, and zero globohomo propaganda. A great family show (though it has some scary parts), perfect vibe for fall, and probably one of the last good things Cartoon Network made before getting totally cucked. Quick to watch, too (less than two hours for the whole show.)