Good movies that don't fit the Hollywood stereotype

I'm looking for some help finding a good film!

To me, there doesn't seem to be many movies that are true to life. I feel too many movies are about matters that we're supposed to 'think' are important, but yet that most people can't relate to. Whether it be historical events like WW2 or Vietnam, or subjects like mafia gangs, aliens, or racism. Even if these movies are good, there's too many like them, and suck films don't allow people to examine their own lives.

'Office Space' is one of the few examples of a movie like this that I can think of! Such a movie might be dismissed as being just a comedy, but I think there's more to learn from this kind of a movie than something like Men Black (which to be fair, I never really watched properly!).

It's no surprise a lot of the movies I like have a straight to DVD feel to them. Some of the movies that I liked that didn't fit the typical Hollywood storyline would be:

Shame (2011), Tao of Steve, Bitter Moon, and Matchstick Men

I don't want to get into a discussion about why Hollywood has become the way it is, just your thoughts on a movie you like that might fit my criteria! Don't just name it. Tell me why you like it.

Salinger

Woodpecker
The Land Of Steady Habits
Ben Mendelsohn is terrific in this film about a man who leaves his wife in the hopes it will renew his lust for life. Aside from the acting, I connected with this middle-aged guy who is just trying to find happiness. (Currently on Netflix)

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
Lost In Translation (2003)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) feels very indie, down to earth even if it is big budgeted.

Mountaineer

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I enjoyed an independently financed 'Stealing Beauty' (1995) directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. It's too subtle and off-beat for Hollywood. Great if you want to get the summer vibe.

MRAll134

Robin
I like Ari Aster's work. Hereditary is great for a horror film; you never know what is going to happen next. Midsommar was pretty good too. If you watch this second one, you should look for the faces in the forest. Aster uses a lot of subtle visuals to create a more terrifying film.

I enjoyed the new Guy Ritchie movie "The Gentlemen" a lot, for something lighter. He only had bad movies during his time with Madonna. Most of the stuff is very masculine, albeit slightly degenerate, but very well-written and fun. In the new one he does not shy away from including a nasty and rich (((billionaire))) as a character. He is overtly standing up to PC culture, moreso than Tarantino. If you like criminal fast-paced movies with good dialogue, it is a future classic IMO.

DannyAlberta

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Sicario (2015).

Without spoiling too much, it completely subverts the "round-house kicking, strong, independent, chick cop" trope by first playing into it and then totally dismantling it.

I've yet to see the 2018 sequel yet because I doubt it could be anywhere near as good.

Sicario (2015).

Without spoiling too much, it completely subverts the "round-house kicking, strong, independent, chick cop" trope by first playing into it and then totally dismantling it.

I've yet to see the 2018 sequel yet because I doubt it could be anywhere near as good.
As much as I liked the original, the sequel was awful. Don't bother.

Last edited:
Nick Cage has done some really good stuff in the past few years. Better than some of his 2000-2010 era stuff anyway.
|A score to settle| was great in my opinion. Not to give anything away but its a great Father - Son bond movie and also a good movie about Redemption.
tt3758162 on the IMDB.

Lucid (2005) imdb # tt0434165
This will be tough to find if looking online. It's a Canadian Independent film that was streamed in the early 2000s over M! on Demand through set top boxes, and never got remastered to high def. I bought it on dvd.

Mr Gibbs

Robin
I recently rewatched The Princess Bride with my 3 yo nephew and man that movie is amazing and can keep an active kids attention, an impressive feat. It’s got everything a kid to an adult can enjoy from silly characters and costumes, a princess rescued by a hero, themes of revenge and honor. Definitely recommend

Salinger

Woodpecker
I recently rewatched The Princess Bride with my 3 yo nephew and man that movie is amazing and can keep an active kids attention, an impressive feat. It’s got everything a kid to an adult can enjoy from silly characters and costumes, a princess rescued by a hero, themes of revenge and honor. Definitely recommend
I watched that for the first time a few months ago after hearing all the hype (mostly from women) and IMO, it was overrated. It's not very funny and the story is just ho-hum.

Monty_Brogan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Dragged across concrete
Brawl in cell block 99
Once up on a time in Hollywood

Three recent movies that go against the cultural Marxist grain and have strong, masculine white male protagonists
Loved Dragged across concrete!

Once upon a time in Hollywood doesn't go against any grain. They had to throw in the scene with killing the evil nazis with flamethrowers, right? Then again, it's tarantino, so I should've known there would be some anti-white self-loathing bullshit in there.

To OP, I would go back to the great year of 2007. One of the best years for movies in the '00s as far as I'm concerned. My two favorites from that year:

No Country for Old Men

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

The first has some of the best storytelling I've seen, and the second is a cinematography masterpiece.