Good movies that don't fit the Hollywood stereotype

Whoever is about to recommend John Wick, please don't!

It's pretty clear no one read the actual post. People are just posting action movies... a lot of which involve gangs and violence! I grew out action movies after my teens.

Last edited:
Whoever is about to recommend John Wick, please don't!

It's pretty clear no one read the actual post. People are just posting action movies... a lot of which involve gangs and violence! I grew out action movies after my teens.
I'm looking for some help finding a good film!
Shame (2011), Tao of Steve, Bitter Moon, and Matchstick Men

I don't want to get into a discussion about why Hollywood has become the way it is, just your thoughts on a movie you like that might fit my criteria! Don't just name it. Tell me why you like it.
Yeah I guess I relate to a naked woman and adultery of cheating from a film like Shame (2011) better than a story arc of growing into my own power like Percy Jackson (2013)
But it's alright, you weren't specific about 'no action movies' and to be fair the violence is limited to somewhat cgi and against 'monsters' so I guess I liked the imagery of battling my own demons verses... cheating on a wife I don't have.
You weren't specific about nudity either, to be fair.

Anyway I didn't follow your format either. I posted Percy Jackson because it has good themes of growing into your own power, it doesn't focus entirely on the female storyarc and characterarc (which is a typical hollywood stereotype of the modern era; this was a sequel to a 2010 movie) and at it's heart it's a story of a son who lost touch with his estranged father and grandfather.

This is just a recommended watch list anyway. If we are posting a film which might not be well received it's probably a good idea to lead up with the why you like it as was posted in the OP.

Yeah I guess I relate to a naked woman and adultery of cheating from a film like Shame (2011) better than a story arc of growing into my own power like Percy Jackson (2013)
But it's alright, you weren't specific about 'no action movies' and to be fair the violence is limited to somewhat cgi and against 'monsters' so I guess I liked the imagery of battling my own demons verses... cheating on a wife I don't have.
You weren't specific about nudity either, to be fair.

Anyway I didn't follow your format either. I posted Percy Jackson because it has good themes of growing into your own power, it doesn't focus entirely on the female storyarc and characterarc (which is a typical hollywood stereotype of the modern era; this was a sequel to a 2010 movie) and at it's heart it's a story of a son who lost touch with his estranged father and grandfather.

This is just a recommended watch list anyway. If we are posting a film which might not be well received it's probably a good idea to lead up with the why you like it as was posted in the OP.
I guess I could've chosen a better title. What I'm really after is something that is true to life. And something that allows one to examine their own life. "Storyarc and characterarc" is true to life. Fantasy, sci-fi or witchcraft harry potter stuff is for chodes who have no experience of life so hence the lack of interest in drama/romance.

However I don't think there's an option for changing titles.

I guess I could've chosen a better title. What I'm really after is something that is true to life. And something that allows one to examine their own life. "Storyarc and characterarc" is true to life. Fantasy, sci-fi or witchcraft harry potter stuff is for chodes who have no experience of life so hence the lack of interest in drama/romance.

This is storytelling were talking about here... granted it's visual but at it's core that's what films are.
I think we're at an impass where we're trying to argue violence or nudity making a film better than another film. Let's just accept we have different tastes in film and not worry too much about it. We probably posted respective titles for the right reasons and are arguing for the wrong ones.

I'm doing no fap right now, and nudity is probably a bad idea, but I'm going to watch your film and find out why you liked it so much rather than tell you why you shouldn't.

Release the Kraken.

Last edited:

ilostabet

Pelican
There's this great movie that goes against all Hollywood canon called Real Life.

It has some sections in the city where it's like a dystopian nightmare, but then some other parts in the countryside and forest where it's pretty chill. The characters range from interesting to trivial, but the best part is that you can get it for free just by not staring at a screen.

Salinger

Woodpecker

It would help to know what your age is (or age range).

But I'll throw out three more films:
-Sideways
-Barton Fink
-Into The Wild

Let me know if you've seen these.

Salinger

Woodpecker
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Not much character arc in this film but every guy on this forum should see this classic movie as there are a couple of life lessons to be learned here. Paul Newman plays a lovable loser who is sentenced to a prison term in a Florida prison farm and yet refuses to play by their rules.

There's this great movie that goes against all Hollywood canon called Real Life.

It has some sections in the city where it's like a dystopian nightmare, but then some other parts in the countryside and forest where it's pretty chill. The characters range from interesting to trivial, but the best part is that you can get it for free just by not staring at a screen.
Can you be more specific?
tt0079781 I don't think this is the film you mean.

Just found this one:

bubs

Pigeon
Slapshot with Paul Newman has become my favorite sports comedy of all time. Scent of a Woman with Al Pacino from mid 90’s was excellent. Very underrated movie called Warrior about 2 brothers who are MMA fighters I enjoyed a lot. Great family drama going on in that film.

Cinderella Man. Manly, with a woman portrayed as an actual wife, and the church is positively portrayed as an integral part of life.

The Eagle. A Roman legion film that is rather accurate, and the only speaking part for a woman in it is a woman laughing. it's a manly film.