Good movies that don't fit the Hollywood stereotype

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
Years ago a friend recommended Legend of 1900 to me. It's a fantastic film, though I believe it's rated G and it struck me as odd, as it was recommended by a philandering drug using partier friend. It's an Italian film (but English language) where the main character was born and lived his whole life on an ocean going ship, and he develops an incredible skill for playing piano. Just good wholesome entertainment.

Almost anything made before the US went satanic in 2000 is decent, but I'd give this one a view. 8.1 IMDB

I've been watching a lot of movies recently because I've had a lot of time on my hands. A movie that I recently watched is called Eyes Wide Shut, a 1999 directed by Stanley Kubrick. This film is very subjective and you can interpret it many different ways, but I believe it was Kubrick trying to shine a light on the pedophile problem that Hollywood has. Hollywood is filled with pedophiles and Stanley Kubrick knew this. Eyes Wide Shut was the last movie Kubrick directed and he died before it was released. I believe it also shows the degree to which Satan and Hollywood are linked to each other.

Another "red-pill" movie I like is The Truman Show, a 1998 film starring Jim Carrey. This movie is literally about somebody waking up and realizing the whole world around him is fake. Carrey's character's life is a massive TV set and he doesn't even know it. This movie mirrors the way that we wake up to a lot of the lies of the world.

The last movie I want to recommend is called They Live, a 1988 film. I hadn't heard of this movie until Roosh recommended and played clips from it on one of his streams. In this movie, the main character finds a pair of glasses that let him see the world as it really is. That means he can see through the lies of the media. The main character also tries to get other people to put on the glasses and he struggles to get them to put them on. This mirrors reality because we have woken up and put on the glasses. We can see past the lies of this world. But it is extremely hard to get the people ion your life to wake up and join you in seeing the truth.

Easy_C

Peacock
Bump.

Not a "movie" per se but Larry the Cable Guy did a series of TV Episodes called "only in America". It's got his typical dumb humor, but it's overall a very positive and good-hearted show. I'm starting to like Larry because in the episodes I've seen so far he's genuinely trying to make the people he interacts with look good, and although he's more than happy to joke at them I haven't seen him be nasty or condescending towards anyone.

Hypno

Crow
It would help to know what your age is (or age range).

But I'll throw out three more films:
-Sideways
-Barton Fink
-Into The Wild

Let me know if you've seen these.

Sideways - interesting film. A comedy, buddy film, and even has some deeper meaning. Was a big deal when it came out in 2004 - it killed demand for Merlot wine (seriously). Paul Giamatti has found a lot of success since then including as a very different type of character on Billions. This film is entertaining and has a good message about two very different guys who are sort of stuck at different points in their lives. But its also interesting so see Paul Giamatti as a schlub in this film and as a powerful Alpha in Billions. Same schlubb no-chin guy, but very different personas.

Into The Wild - this is a well made, contemplative film which is ultimately quite nihlisitic. Its based on a book which is based on a true story, but the film inexcusably changes the story. The book is about why a recent college grad gave away all of his possessions and later is found dead in a survival situatnion in the Alaskan wilderness. The author of the book is a manly-man, outdoorsy type who climbed Mount Everest. He struggled with how someone could be so blackpilled or nihilistic. The film tells more of his story, which is entertaining, but then at the end offeres a fictionalized reason for what he did and blames his parents yuppie greed. That's like watching a movie about a war and changing the reason why the war was fought, or who won.

Hypno

Crow
If you want some non-Hollywood formula films, I have enjoyed the following:

The Spanish Prisoner (con film)
Raising Arizona (Cohen Brothers comedy)
The Ghostwriter (suspense/spy thriller)
Three Days of the Condor (70s Spy Drama)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (art flick with Jim Carey in a serious role)
Ex Machina (sci fi type film set in current times)

Almost anything with Mel Gibson in it
I quite like Apocolypto. He's not in it, but he directed it.

The reason I think it goes against the hollywood stereotype is that the natives, the Maya, are not depicted in a positive light. They are brutal as fuck. The forest people (who are not part of the Maya empire) are portrayed as being "good" but the Maya are entirely bad in this movie. There's not a single redeeming thing about them (except possibly that the father loves his son). At the end of the movie when the white people show up, you are frankly primed to be glad that they're about to conquer the Maya.

And even the forest tribes, even though they're good people, they're not portrayed in the way that hollywood normally portrays natives - that is to say, they aren't shown to be magical ultra-spiritual perfect beings who are in every way better than the white man.

I recently watched a movie called “Prospect” that was just a realistic (for what it is), gritty, tough movie. It was great. And there’s one scene that you’ll probably never forget, because it’s hard to watch and the acting in that scene is excellent.

Also definitely agree with the Book of Eli and Apocalypto reviews above.

Salinger

Kingfisher
I quite like Apocolypto. He's not in it, but he directed it.

The reason I think it goes against the hollywood stereotype is that the natives, the Maya, are not depicted in a positive light. They are brutal as fuck. The forest people (who are not part of the Maya empire) are portrayed as being "good" but the Maya are entirely bad in this movie. There's not a single redeeming thing about them (except possibly that the father loves his son). At the end of the movie when the white people show up, you are frankly primed to be glad that they're about to conquer the Maya.

And even the forest tribes, even though they're good people, they're not portrayed in the way that hollywood normally portrays natives - that is to say, they aren't shown to be magical ultra-spiritual perfect beings who are in every way better than the white man.

Such a great film. The scene where the Europeans show up is one of the best plot twists I've ever seen in a film; nearly as good as the plot twist in Planet Of The Apes as it was completely unexpected.

I watch almost no TV or movies since last May. After the blatant in your face bombardment of “we’re here for you”, I turned my TV off for a few months. That being said, I just watched one last night, that I really enjoyed. Side bar: I went to the Smokey Mountains last weekend and intersected the Appalachian Trail. This movie is about the Trail with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. It was enjoyable. It’s called, A Walk In The Woods. Based on the Autobiography.

These days...anything with a low critic rating but a high audience score.

"The Art of Self Defense" 2019. A dark comedy with a surprisingly anti-beta male, pro gun message, whether intended or not. This movie backfired on the Hollywood elite. It was supposed to be an anti "toxic masculinity" film, but backfires spectacularly while demonstrating the power of subversive leaders and group think.
1606014473310.png

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
Dredd from 2011or 2012 was pretty good. Only eye rolling parts was the female sidekick being somewhat of a mary sue and the female villain being the leader of a gang in a rundown city looked implausible, other than that it felt the closest to an old school Die Hard type of action movie from the late 80s/early 90s.
Dredd, is not really a Die Hard clone, its more like The Raid, which is an awesome film.

I have to disagree with you on the female parts though, unlike most modern films, the females are flawed and nuanced characters.

The gang leader is a ruthless manipulator that gets men to do the hard work for her and when it gets to the finale and she thinks she has the upper hand, Dredd just destroys her, there is no BS fistfight between them.

His partner is a rookie who has trained since a child to be tough and resourceful and still fails to measure up the the standards of a Judge, and she is empathetic towards others in a way that modern films dont portray women.

Both these roles really shine when juxtaposed Dredd, who is the embodiment of the law. He is tough, uncompromising and cant be deterred in any way.

The gang leader believes she can just buy off, subvert, threaten or seduce anyone to her way, but Dredd isnt having that and just plows through anything she puts in his way.

But its the nuances of the relationship between him and the rookie that adds depth to both their characters, she is determined to show she has what it takes to be a Judge at the start, and he doesnt give a shit about her special abilities, he believes she either meets the standard for all Judges or fails. When she tries to be the best she fails. Its only when she thinks she has failed that she goes all in (because she isnt second guessing herself) and finally wins Dredds approval.

Additionally, the rookie tempers Dredd at a couple of points, allowing him to see beyond whats in front of him to the hidden truth (like the guy who had his eyes cut out actually being a victim) and this makes Dredd more human to the audience.

They are surprisingly real female characters and an amazingly masculine hero for a Hollywood film. No wonder it wasnt a box office smash, but everyone who isnt a film critic who watches it loves it.

Patriot

Chicken
1) Brother
A russian movie that was recommended by someone on ROK, for a movie I have only seen once, I think about this movie more often then just a bout any other. You will likely have to find and watch online.
2) A Prophet
An excellent movie. I am far from an 'academic' but this is a smart movie that doesn't need artsy bullshit to craft it's story. One of Edward Norton's favorite movies, if that holds any water for you
3) Second Hand LIons
Imagine a movie that holds as single mother responsible for her child and the importance of a male figure in a young man's life, there is a need for rough men like 'Hub Mcann' and an even bigger need for them to be mentors. Excellent movie for adolescents and their father's.