Good states to live in the United States

nathan

Robin
Every city in Texas is different, it's difficult to generalize. Your list leaves out Fort Worth, which might as well be a different country than Dallas. DFW is a Metro not a city. Also, the fastest growing cities are in DFW -- Frisco and McKinney in particular, but also Fort Worth.
Austin is all the failed people from Brooklyn and LA basically. It does not have a Texas vibe as far as I'm concerned.

I lump FW in with DFW, like everyone does, but you are right it is different. Not that much of a fan of Frisco or really North Dallas at all. 100% agree about ATX being where the failed NY and CA millenials go. lol

nathan

Robin
Austin needs to be turned into a glass crater

The thing about ATX is that it is the nicest metro but it also does have a Sodom/Gomorrah vibe to it at times. The people there are more heathen than the other metros from what I can tell, although still less than coastal cities. One time I took an uber to mass on Sunday, and the driver asks me where I am headed. I say "St Mary's Cathedral" and he says "oh, what's going on there" and I say "I am going to church" and he chuckles and says "well that's a new one". It wasn't a disrespectful chuckle, it was more that he was surprised. But that's Austin. I've also never seen a place where the people are as open with their cocaine use as Austin.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
The thing about ATX is that it is the nicest metro but it also does have a Sodom/Gomorrah vibe to it at times. The people there are more heathen than the other metros from what I can tell, although still less than coastal cities. One time I took an uber to mass on Sunday, and the driver asks me where I am headed. I say "St Mary's Cathedral" and he says "oh, what's going on there" and I say "I am going to church" and he chuckles and says "well that's a new one". It wasn't a disrespectful chuckle, it was more that he was surprised. But that's Austin. I've also never seen a place where the people are as open with their cocaine use as Austin.

The essential issue with the Texas cities, especially Dallas and Austin, is how incredibly unbalanced they are. Austin gets all the creatives and hippies. Dallas gets all the upper middle class jocks and frat bros. There isn't much in the middle in either place... I like a good mix of folks.

SpyofMoses

Sparrow
Because I've seen Colorado Springs mentioned a few times, I want to give my 2 cents about that city since I grew up there.

Colorado Springs is a Libertarian bubble inside of Liberal Colorado. It is a military city and full of hippies. You get a lot more hippies over in Manitou Springs, which is effectively just a suburb of the Springs. It is much more family oriented toward the northeast part of town, where you have cookie-cutter homes galore. Focus on the Family's headquarters is up there in Briargate. There is a big biker scene, to include clubs and independent riders. Where else do you have such beautiful scenery to drive through with 300 days of sunshine a year? There are churches everywhere; there are also dispensaries everywhere.

Everyone seems to know that living there will spoil you if you're into hiking, rock climbing, off-roading, skiing, etc.

If it weren't for the military presence, that city probably would have become a ghost town a while ago. Its been said that the Springs is a town without a purpose as the springs it is named for dried up a long time ago. Most people I know either work a service job(many of which were lost due to COVID), in the military, or for the military. There's some tech and such, too, and it's not uncommon to drive up to Denver for work. This commute is becoming a bit more common from what I gather. The city is also attracting a lot of Californians who sell their house out there and buy 2 houses in the Springs to rent one out. People are moving in, money is not.

On a more personal note, I have left that city behind for other opportunities twice. I love the Springs so much I was dead set on moving back until I considered that last sentence more seriously. This is why I am keeping an eye this thread, haha. For anyone considering Colorado Springs, I hope this helps.

Easy_C

Peacock
I’ll second the Springs comments. It’s a great town if you work for a defense contractor otherwise meh. There’s a lot to like about it but also a lot of homelessness and potholes like you wouldn’t believe. There’s some leftist behavior but not much vs Denver.

Renzy

Pelican
I also have some time spent in Florida. I think Florida is a good state if you're in the right spot. No income tax, and usually good politics.

The Panhandle is very Republican, with amazing beaches and clear water. The cost of living is lower, and Pensacola is close by. Mobile and Tallahassee are relatively close as well depending on where you are. I could be happy there doing a lot of golfing and boating/fishing. I also like that winters are cooler up there, to get some more variety. Baldwin County, Alabama is basically an extension of the Panhandle as well.

I like the Gulf side of Florida in general. Great beaches, more laid back people, generally more Republican. Sarasota/Bradenton are nice and close to Tampa Bay. There are a lot of choices on the Gulf all the way down to Naples.

I absolutely love the Florida panhandle. I lived there when I was a kid back in the 80s when we were stationed at Eglin and still go back now as an adult to vacation there with my wife and son. It's where we are looking to retire once our son graduates. The beaches are gorgeous, the fishing is awesome, you can hunt on the Eglin reservation and if you go north a bit, away from the beaches, you're back in the South with Southern culture and fewer tourists. There's a bunch of cool freshwater places to check out around there too like Wakula springs, Econfina state park, etc.

There are a lot of military bases there (Eglin, Tyndall, Pensacola NAS, etc.) which I think is part of the reason it tends to be more conservative. The other is that once you get away from the beaches and go north into rural areas the culture is much more Southern conservative Christian.

Another option is Coeur d'Alene in North Idaho, which is close to Spokane. The area is a similar size to Boise and Colorado Springs. The scenery is amazing with mountains, lakes, forests and vast wilderness close by. This is also a very Republican area.

CDA is where my parents were mainly looking at and it'd be great to be near them, and remote work allows this. My concern is the smaller size would make it difficult to meet new people and women. I know Spokane is about 30 minutes away but from what I've heard that's a dumpy area with a lot of meth (correct me if I'm wrong). Thinking about a visit to Boise and driving up to CDA next month.

Douglas Quaid

Kingfisher
CDA is where my parents were mainly looking at and it'd be great to be near them, and remote work allows this. My concern is the smaller size would make it difficult to meet new people and women. I know Spokane is about 30 minutes away but from what I've heard that's a dumpy area with a lot of meth (correct me if I'm wrong). Thinking about a visit to Boise and driving up to CDA next month.
I've only seen downtown Spokane and the areas around I90, but it was somewhat dumpy. I'm not going to lie, the downtown area reminded me of a less extreme version of downtown Seattle. Lots of homeless, crime, drugs and mental illness. At least it looks like there isn't much violent crime in the area. And I'm sure there are nice neighborhoods in Spokane. It has potential, and housing is cheap.

Boise and Coeur d'Alene are a lot nicer. Downtown Boise was the complete opposite of Spokane's downtown.

Lothario

Pelican
Gold Member
I am surprised Kentucky has not been mentioned yet. KY flies under the radar as a non-sexy state but one can work in the big city and liv about 20 minutes on farm land fairly cheaply. KY bleeds red minus the two big cities Lexington and Louisville. Most country folks are simple and believe this piece of God's country belong to President Trump.

Weather is nice, One gets to experience all 4 seasons but none harsh. USDA zone 6-7. One can grown all the Vegetables and fruits needed to survive and plenty to hunt.

Grab some farmland while it has not been discovered. Here is a quick idea for a 20 Acre lot.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Hammonds-Rd-Ewing-KY-41039/2077245751_zpid/

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Florida is really appealing to me, I briefly lived in Sarasota. The politics of the state seem pretty good too, Ron DeSantis is one of the few Republicans that still has some balls, gun laws are great, and even the hispanic population is growing more "conservative".

Can anyone tell me how good Miami/Fort Lauderdale would be for a young practicing Catholic? I visited the area once, but what I was looking for was quite different for what I value now. My concern is that its kind of a materialist city and that most parishioners you come across at church are just there to be seen (similar to Catholics in Latin America)

I'm also thinking about Naples/Fort Myers area to be at a good point between Tampa and MIA and because of the catholic university in Naples. There aren't many openings at all for the jobs that I'm trying to get, but it would serve as a good base to apply for jobs in MIA and Tampa until I get something.

Panhandle does interest me, sounds like it's more deep South rather than a colony of retirees and cubans. But the area doesn't seem to have alot of openings for my line of work, nor are there any nearby cities that would have it.

I am surprised Kentucky has not been mentioned yet. KY flies under the radar as a non-sexy state but one can work in the big city and liv about 20 minutes on farm land fairly cheaply. KY bleeds red minus the two big cities Lexington and Louisville. Most country folks are simple and believe this piece of God's country belong to President Trump.

Weather is nice, One gets to experience all 4 seasons but none harsh. USDA zone 6-7. One can grown all the Vegetables and fruits needed to survive and plenty to hunt.

Grab some farmland while it has not been discovered. Here is a quick idea for a 20 Acre lot.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Hammonds-Rd-Ewing-KY-41039/2077245751_zpid/

I'm sure one could do much, much worse than KY. But, compared to other states in the south, I would refer to it as a high-tax state. I lived there for a few years up to 2019 and it seemed as though the tax-fairy had ran amuck. There was a 1% "employment" county tax -- the county took 1% of your salary, just because they could. Then there was the state income tax. Property taxes were not exactly low. Then there were local taxes. Automobiles were taxed every year at a percentage of book value. Every utility bill had half a dozen taxes and fees tacked onto it. Every time I turned around, the tax man had his hand in my pocket. Little fiscal discipline--when the state or local governments wants to spend money they just add a new tax onto something. I am sure compared to New Jersey, or New York and such it is a tax haven, but for a Southern state (I have lived in Alabama as well) it is not.

Personally, I would tend towards a rural area in Tennessee (where I lived for a decade) over Kentucky. Tennessee has a high sales tax, but a low property tax, no state income tax, and car registration fees are negligible.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The main issue with Knoxville is the distance from a decent airport. It's kind of isolated.
One man's poz is another's moderately liberal college town. I'm from the Northeast, Knoxville doesn't scare me.

The airport thing is a little overrated IMO. As long as you have access to some sort of commercial airport you can get where you need to go. I used to live in a small city in NC and from the tiny regional airport with direct service to only 3 cities I was able to get to Bangkok in about 24 hours of travel time and 2 layovers (Atlanta and Tokyo). Maybe covid will change that but from Knoxville has a decent sized airport, you're also about 3 hours from either Nashville or Charlotte which both have direct flights to just about every major city in the country and some international flights plus Atlanta which by some measures is the biggest airport in the world.