"Gratitude Check-In"

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I wanted to share a little mental/spiritual exercise that I've been doing for some time now. I call it "gratitude check-in." I practice it several times a day, whenever I think to do it.

I allow myself to become aware, and subsequently thankful, for everything going on at that particular moment, even the smallest things. I will thank God for things like the fact that we have electricity; the fact that my husband arrived home safely another day; the fact that I was given the privilege to parent my kids another day. If it's sunny I'm thankful; if it's raining I'm thankful. I might not be thankful for snow, lol, but I can be thankful for its beauty. You get the picture.

If any of you have ever read the book "Pollyanna", it's similar to her "glad game". It's a practice that I've found to be very valuable in lifting my spirits and realizing the enormous package of blessings God gives on a daily; even an hourly or moment-by-moment basis.

Last edited:

EndlessGravity

Banned
Protestant
My wife and I have done daily gratitudes with each other at various times. I try to spend a few minutes each day just taking in the moment and being appreciative of where ever we are and what's going on. This usually centers on how life, by the grace of God, hasn't managed to overwhelm us yet. There's still fight left in us to climb the mountain!

christie2

Woodpecker
Woman
Other Christian
I'm grateful Luna posted this thread and that she practices regular gratitude to God.

I'm grateful this new bus goes to the destination that will help me pay down one more debt. I'm grateful the bus is airconditioned. I'm grateful I had both rain and sunshine today.
I'm grateful I saw one more baby frog, it helps me believe my environment is healthy enough to sustain frogs. I'm grateful I'm going to Church this week.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I'm grateful Luna posted this thread and that she practices regular gratitude to God.

I'm grateful this new bus goes to the destination that will help me pay down one more debt. I'm grateful the bus is airconditioned. I'm grateful I had both rain and sunshine today.
I'm grateful I saw one more baby frog, it helps me believe my environment is healthy enough to sustain frogs. I'm grateful I'm going to Church this week.
You got the idea! I love these!

IconWriter

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Gold Member
Two things!
Every day for one year I wrote one thing for which I was grateful. It is in the back of my "Gratitude Journal". (The journal iteself is a nice, leather-bound book with lined pages.) If I missed a day, I'd make it up the next.

Also, any time we'd have a house guest, a visitor, or meet with family, and see friends at church, I ask them to take a page and write about whatever they are grateful for, and sign it with the date. This includes children, too, who may just draw a picture in it. This has become dear to me over the years and I wish I'd started sooner. Thank you for reminding me, as I have new friends to add!

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Two things!
Every day for one year I wrote one thing for which I was grateful. It is in the back of my "Gratitude Journal". (The journal iteself is a nice, leather-bound book with lined pages.) If I missed a day, I'd make it up the next.

Also, any time we'd have a house guest, a visitor, or meet with family, and see friends at church, I ask them to take a page and write about whatever they are grateful for, and sign it with the date. This includes children, too, who may just draw a picture in it. This has become dear to me over the years and I wish I'd started sooner. Thank you for reminding me, as I have new friends to add!
That's a really cool idea!

Fairlight

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
I wanted to share a little mental/spiritual exercise that I've been doing for some time now. I call it "gratitude check-in." I practice it several times a day, whenever I think to do it.

I allow myself to become aware, and subsequently thankful, for everything going on at that particular moment, even the smallest things. I will thank God for things like the fact that we have electricity; the fact that my husband arrived home safely another day; the fact that I was given the privilege to parent my kids another day. If it's sunny I'm thankful; if it's raining I'm thankful. I might not be thankful for snow, lol, but I can be thankful for its beauty. You get the picture.

If any of you have ever read the book "Pollyanna", it's similar to her "glad game". It's a practice that I've found to be very valuable in lifting my spirits and realizing the enormous package of blessings God gives on a daily; even an hourly or moment-by-moment

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
Today I ran about two miles nonstop, more or less. I was tired and drenched in sweat, but I was so very happy. Because I can run, and nothing hurts! I have read posts in the thread "Vaccination in the sports world", how professional athletes cannot run any more, and become crippled. I am thankful that I can run!

To those who are disabled, who have severe chronic health conditions, even temporarily removing their health problems, to run freely even for an hour, is a tremendous blessing. But we people who don't have any disabilities spend most of the time as a sedentary lifestyle. We don't use our gift that we have fully. One of the relevant philosophical ideas is "use it or lose it". Some food for thought.

Moreover, I am thankful to have personally experienced medical malpractice when I was a child, which led me to rejecting and doubting the entire medical establishment, that really red pilled me, and made me not fall for their toxic products.