Church Greek Orthodox Church

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Why do they feel the need to do this? What is to be gained? Talking to other faiths in itself weakens the Orthodox position, implying we don't have the fullness of the Christian faith.

When I saw you posted in the Greek Orthodox thread I sighed and said to myself "what are they doing now?" It's always something.

Isn't it forbidden for us to pray with non-Orthodox?

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
Article she wrote:

From the article's author bio:
Rev. Dr. Mae Elise Cannon is the author of several books including the most recent Beyond Hashtag Activism: Comprehensive Justice in a Complicated Age and the award winning Social Justice Handbook: Small Steps for a Better World.

Edit. Below is more information (copied from Amazon's) about the author's background.
About Mae Elise Cannon
Rev. Dr. Mae Elise Cannon is the executive director of Churches for Middle East Peace. She is an author, speaker, and advocate who cares deeply about God's heart for the poor and the oppressed.

She is the co-editor of Evangelical Theologies of Liberation and Justice (IVP, 2019); editor of A Land Full of God: Christian Perspectives on the Holy Land (2017); author of Social Justice Handbook: Small Steps for a Better World (IVP, 2009) and Just Spirituality: How Faith Practices Fuel Social Action (IVP, 2013); and co-author of Forgive Us: Confessions of a Compromised Faith (Zondervan, 2014). Her most recent book is Beyond Hashtag Activism: Comprehensive Justice in a Complicated Age (IVP, 2020).

Cannon is an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC). Her ministry and professional background include serving as the Senior Director of Advocacy and Outreach for World Vision-US, the executive pastor of Hillside Covenant Church (Walnut Creek, California), Director of Development and Transformation for Extension Ministries at Willow Creek Community Church (Barrington, Illinois), and as a consultant to the Middle East for child advocacy issues for Compassion International. Her work has been highlighted in The New York Times, CNN, Chicago Tribune, Christianity Today, Leadership Magazine, The Christian Post, Jerusalem Post, EU Parliament Magazine, Huffington Post, and other international media outlets.

She received her first doctorate in American History with a minor in Middle Eastern studies at the University of California (Davis) focusing on the history of the American Protestant church in Israel and Palestine and her second doctorate in Ministry in Spiritual Formation from Northern Theological Seminary. Cannon holds an M.Div. From North Park Theological Seminary, an M.B.A. from North Park University's School of Business and Nonprofit Management, and an M.A. in bioethics from Trinity International University.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Orthodox
Fr Luke @ St. Basil's in Houston had an excellent message today. This Church was the first one I attended on my road to Orthodoxy. If you are in Houston it is an excellent place to visit as the campus is beautiful.

He touches on Sept 11 but also the neoliberal culture we are living in and the righteous indignation many feel, yet reminds us not to get sucked into the abyss of division and manipulation.

If you have 25 minutes listen to his Homily.

Serge Korol

Pigeon
Orthodox
I started out in the Greek Church, I left them years ago and a couple of years ago, long before this incident. I went to a Paschal service in the Greek church because I was living out of town. I was appalled at the dress of some of the easter Orthodox women there and how liberal and worldly they seemed to be. My family and I left the service right after the Liturgy started, It is hard not to be judgmental, and If you are it is better not to go. We both said never again would we attend a Greek church. Even more so now with the schism.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
I started out in the Greek Church, I left them years ago and a couple of years ago, long before this incident. I went to a Paschal service in the Greek church because I was living out of town. I was appalled at the dress of some of the easter Orthodox women there and how liberal and worldly they seemed to be. My family and I left the service right after the Liturgy started, It is hard not to be judgmental, and If you are it is better not to go. We both said never again would we attend a Greek church. Even more so now with the schism.
Patriarch Prime made a good point back in the day that many priests had no problem telling people to wear masks but wouldn't dare telling women to cover their heads as Scripture commands. Disclaimer: I don't know what priests advise during confession, this is only a general observation. Husbands and fathers are as much to blame as anyone.

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
Yeah, it's appalling. Especially on the big feasts.
On Pascha, every secularized Christian thinks it his cultural duty to show up to Church for 15 minutes just to say "Christ is risen!" and then to go to a night club straight away. These women are dressed accordingly.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Orthodox
After reading some history on Greek Independence, I feel more and more that the situation in the Greek church is very much related to the economics/political leadership of Greece... and there would need some pretty huge political changes before recovery. Until then, I really don’t see how the Greek church's leadership could exceed the Russian church in resistance to the modern secular world. (Obviously Greek monks in Athos are a notable exception, and it seems like they aren't really given a voice recently?)

Last edited:

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
After learning some history on Greek Independence as well as learning about that famous collaborationist bishop who was a member of the elite “builders” and owned three patriarchates, I feel more and more that the situation in the Greek church is very much related to the economics/political leadership of Greece... and there would need some pretty huge political changes before recovery. Until then, I really don’t see how the Greek church's leadership could possibly exceed the Russian church in piety. (Obviously Greek monks in Athos are a notable exception, and it seems like they aren't really given a voice recently?)
Your reading is pretty much correct.

It al begun after the Independence. The heroes of that war were very pious men and fought for their faith first and foremost and then for their country. But they were all put to prison and sidelined politically afterwards. A foreign catholic king was installed and his retineu was protestant and fiercely antimonastic. They closed 400 monsteries, threw the monks to the streets and sold all valuable holy objects.

They also caused a schism with the Mother Church of Constantinople (a century before the waves of ecumenism overtook it) and unilaterally declared autocephaly. Compromised, modernist bishops were installed. Most of the pious bishops had died during the war and the ones who remained were persecuted or sidelined.

All this led to the Church becoming the concubine of the new masonic state. Much like in Russia after the bolshevics took power.

But amidst this mess, there was and still is a parallel true Greek Church. Monasticism is still strong and there is a remnant of bishops and laity that keeps the Church very much alive and (I'd argue) still the leading force in World Orthodoxy. The weight of Tradition in this country simply cannot be overcome.

Last edited:

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Orthodox
But amidst this mess, there was and still is a parallel true Greek Church. Monasticism is still strong and there is a remnant of bishops and laity that keeps the Church very much alive and (I'd argue) still the leading force in World Orthodoxy. The weight of Tradition in this country simply cannot be overcome.

If someone wanted to discern the Greek church, what are the strong "signs" of a good parish? e.g. old calendar, monastic tradition, particular jurisdiction, etc?

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
If someone wanted to discern the Greek church, what are the strong "signs" of a good parish? e.g. old calendar, monastic tradition, particular jurisdiction, etc?
I guess you are talking about GoArch? If so, I can't help you much, because I don't live in the US.
But I'd try to learn about his views on monasticism and especially elder Ephraim. If favorable, he is traditional.
If there was a monastry near me (I mean a 1-2 hour drive) I'd skip the parish life altogether, but that's just me.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Orthodox
I guess you are talking about GoArch? If so, I can't help you much, because I don't live in the US.
But I'd try to learn about his views on monasticism and especially elder Ephraim. If favorable, he is traditional.
If there was a monastry near me (I mean a 1-2 hour drive) I'd skip the parish life altogether, but that's just me.
Find the bishop and see what they have said.

In the US Bishop Isiah is great.

You can also search for sermons of the priest and that will give you insight.

Also just attend the church and you will know.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Orthodox

Actually I was curious about what you just said, of "there was and still is a parallel true Greek Church." -- What are the characteristics of those people, what are they like, what did they go through? For example, in western Latin church the traditionalist clergy have been disenfranchised, parishes defunded, priests sometimes "exiled" to faraway remote locations, traditional liturgy scheduled at very inconvenient hours... it's quite ugly.

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
Actually I was curious about what you just said, of "there was and still is a parallel true Greek Church." -- What are the characteristics of those people, what are they like, what did they go through? For example, in western Latin church the traditionalist clergy have been disenfranchised, parishes defunded, priests sometimes "exiled" to faraway remote locations, traditional liturgy scheduled at very inconvenient hours... it's quite ugly.
Nothing as extreme as that.
We do have our own "Genuine Orthodox" schismatics, but I'm not talking about them.
I'm talking about two different parralel currents within the official Church: the modernist and the traditional. You can see the modernist current manifested in the higher echelons of GoArch and the traditional current at the lower spectrum (monasteries and certain parishes).
Like @get2choppaaa said, look for the bishop and you'll understand.

josemiguel

Robin
Orthodox
Archbishop Elpidophoros says no religious exemptions for GOARCH. Really tragic, I don't know what to say regarding this.

View attachment 33682
Lord have mercy.
I guess of one is already committing open heresy as an ecclesiarch, and have no desire to repent, what's wrong with adding murdering your flock to the list? When Christ talks about wolves in sheep's clothing, He's talking about within the Church.

I expect to see even more people from GOARCH jumping ship over that alone.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
1631881419206.png
Likely why Archbishop Elpidophoros deported Metropolitan Evangelos (who was openly against multiple communion spoons) of New Jersey to Turkey. I felt so bad for him.

In light of Archbishop Elpidophoros of GOARCH banning any sort of religious vaccine exemption for his flock, and his rampant ecumenism, serving in an Episcopal church with a gay flag, I strongly encourage anyone still attending a Greek Church in America due to the absence of others to save the money you would otherwise donate to that church and instead use it for trips to a more distant church of another Orthodox jurisdiction or donate it to causes like ROCOR seminary scholarship funds - https://hts.edu/support - because ROCOR is growing so quickly they need new priests and deacons.

If I were a priest in GOARCH I would now be asking for a transfer to ROCOR or at least the Antiochian Archdiocese.

I could somewhat understand if his eminence would say "I disagree with religious exemptions but if parishioners have genuine concerns, their priest or local bishop may consider that."

Mulato_Man_Gabe

Pigeon
Orthodox
View attachment 33683
Likely why Archbishop Elpidophoros deported Metropolitan Evangelos (who was openly against multiple communion spoons) of New Jersey to Turkey. I felt so bad for him.

In light of Archbishop Elpidophoros of GOARCH banning any sort of religious vaccine exemption for his flock, and his rampant ecumenism, serving in an Episcopal church with a gay flag, I strongly encourage anyone still attending a Greek Church in America due to the absence of others to save the money you would otherwise donate to that church and instead use it for trips to a more distant church of another Orthodox jurisdiction or donate it to causes like ROCOR seminary scholarship funds - https://hts.edu/support - because ROCOR is growing so quickly they need new priests and deacons.

If I were a priest in GOARCH I would now be asking for a transfer to ROCOR or at least the Antiochian Archdiocese.

I could somewhat understand if his eminence would say "I disagree with religious exemptions but if parishioners have genuine concerns, their priest or local bishop may consider that."

My priest said that ROCOR is accepting transfers of priests from GOARCH without permission of leave from GOARCH, which is atypical. It shows how bad things have gotten. People really need to jump ship from that jurisdiction, what's being done there is so evil.

Fr. Spiridon Bailey is a prominent example of someone who had to jump ship from the Greek jurisdiction to ROCOR. It said it broke his heart to do so, but he essentially couldn't condone what the jurisdiction was a part of.

It's a shame what happened to Metropolitan Evangelos. I was originally so impressed when he came out strongly against multiple spoons. There's no room for resistance. The man was a metropolitan and he gets shelved away like that. What a farce. May his unjust treatment be for his salvation.

Thanks for dropping that donation link. I wasn't aware it existed.

JustinHS

Robin
Orthodox
Fr. Barnabas Powell is another GOA priest with his head on straight, who would do well to jump to Antiochian or ROCOR.

I’m currently at a GOA mission, and I highly doubt it’ll be able to afford a priest after the one we have now retires in a few years. He’s already spread thin with having to shepherd 3 parishes. All an hour + away from his home parish.

I’ve been taking my family to the Antiochian cathedral which is an hour away at times.

This statement from the Abp doesn’t make any sense because even our metropolitan says each parish can take covid measures on a parish-by-parish basis.

To flat reject religious exemptions across the board is very atypical of what has been happening on the ground.