Church Greek Orthodox Church

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
Does ROCOR provide services in Greek?
Are these Greek Priests that jump ship asigned to a new parish or do they take their church and flock with them?

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
Archbishop Elpidophoros says no religious exemptions for GOARCH. Really tragic, I don't know what to say regarding this.

View attachment 33682
Lord have mercy.
The man goes from blunder to blunder.

Key points:
- Archibishop Elpidophoros attended the inauguration of the Turkish House in New York City with President Erdoğan and "Turkish Cypriot" leader Ersin Tatar.
- Greek Diaspora in the USA is enraged with him (even more than they were, if that was possible). They consider him antichrist and anti-greek.
- Greek and Cypriot PMs canceled their meetings with him.
- Erdogan and the Turkish media praised him.
Good move for his EP succession race, bad for the Church.

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
Is Elpidophorus on the way out?

Mulato_Man_Gabe

Sparrow
Orthodox
Is Elpidophorus on the way out?

Rest assured, if he is removed, he will be replaced with someone just as bad, if not worse. I'm not convinced that the powers that set up these eccuminst church leaders have been defeated because their puppet made a political blunder. I'm sure they have many willing puppets waiting in the wings.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Rest assured, if he is removed, he will be replaced with someone just as bad, if not worse. I'm not convinced that the powers that set up these eccuminst church leaders have been defeated because their puppet made a political blunder. I'm sure they have many willing puppets waiting in the wings.
Metropolitan Emmanuel was caught having gay orgies at his mansion. He was not deposed as a result, but simply moved to a new jurisdiction instead. If Emmanuel is made Patriarch we can expect a very rapid plunge for the entire archdiocese, at an even faster pace than is currently happening.

Mulato_Man_Gabe

Sparrow
Orthodox
Metropolitan Emmanuel was caught having gay orgies at his mansion. He was not deposed as a result, but simply moved to a new jurisdiction instead. If Emmanuel is made Patriarch we can expect a very rapid plunge for the entire archdiocese, at an even faster pace than is currently happening.

How does GOARCH have any credibility with that guy still in their employment? I knew of his scandal due to your interviews but I didn't know he wasn't defrocked. Lord have mercy!!

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
How does GOARCH have any credibility with that guy still in their employment? I knew of his scandal due to your interviews but I didn't know he wasn't defrocked. Lord have mercy!!
I don’t think Constantinople has any remaining credibility at this point, though it is still canonical with valid sacraments for now. Technically Met. Emmanuel isn’t GOARCH, since that’s just for America if memory serves. Emmanuel is now Metropolitan of Chalcedon, while his “live-in assistant” Maximos, who liked to hire male prostitutes for their parties, was promoted to Metropolitan of France instead. Constantinople very much mirrors secular politics these days in terms of what kind of person gets hired and promoted.

Last edited:

Charbel Makhlouf

Sparrow
Orthodox
I've been house hunting recently and thus am on Google Maps quite a lot. Today I was zooming in the map on a strong contender and noticed an Orthodox Church really close by. At first I thought, "Awesome!"

I pulled up their website really quick and my..... goodness....

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America...

I don't think I've ever seen ANY Church with stricter COVID measures in place (and these were updated measures to make things LESS strict after things started opening up again:

• While maintaining distancing is still an important part of fighting the pandemic, we are modestly increasing capacity of our parish from about 50 to about 75.
• This will partly be done by creating a non-distanced section for those who have been vaccinated to stand together. Vaccinated parents may stand in this section with their unvaccinated children, but we recommend unvaccinated spouses do not (either to stand separately, or to stand together outside the vaccinated section).
We ask any and all who are entering our church building, for whatever purpose and regardless of vaccination status or any other factor, to wear a mask. Clergy, servers and chanters will not wear masks only in performance of their liturgical duties.
Temperature checks will be discontinued, although contact tracing (i.e. keeping a log of attendees at each service) will continue for now.
• At all times while in the church, follow CDC directives, which currently include: washing of hands thoroughly and frequently, covering your coughs and sneezes, avoiding sharing personal items, avoiding physical contact, and maintaining a safe distance.
• The Holy Eucharist will be distributed in the same way: the clergy and servers will wear masks, and communicants will come forward and briefly remove their mask to receive. Refrain from wiping your mouth on the red cloth.
• While outside, masks (except while eating) and/or distancing should be practiced. If sitting inside, masks AND distancing should be practiced, and eating should not take place both for safety and for cleanup logistics.

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
I'm not prepared to accept these allegations against hierarchs without firm proof.
I'm not saying it' can't be true, just that there are journalists that are enemies of the Church and trying to plant scandals.
I know the source of these allegations and it's a Greek newspaper/blog of the lowest quality.

His ecumenist behaviour and modernist leanings is much more worrying and the reason he shouldn't become Patriarch.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I'm not prepared to accept these allegations against hierarchs without firm proof.
I'm not saying it' can't be true, just that there are journalists that are enemies of the Church and trying to plant scandals.
I know the source of these allegations and it's a Greek newspaper/blog of the lowest quality.

His ecumenist behaviour and modernist leanings is much more worrying and the reason he shouldn't become Patriarch.
If memory serves it was reported in many outlets, not just one blog. According to said reports, French police saw what happened on the house’s security cameras.

Funglool

Banned
Orthodox
Regardless of whether the rumors of orgies are true or not, there is no circumstance that makes it acceptable for an Orthodox Christian to be publicizing them. Saint Paisios called this type of behavior the “demonic typicon” and you can read more on his strong feelings against it in the book collection of his letters called Epistles.

There’s a huge difference between being based and being an Orthodox Christian.

Last edited:

Mulato_Man_Gabe

Sparrow
Orthodox
Regardless of whether the rumors of orgies are true or not, there is no circumstance that makes it acceptable for an Orthodox Christian to be publicizing them. Saint Paisios called this type of behavior the “demonic typicon” and you can read more on his strong feelings against it in the book collection of his letters called Epistles.

There’s a huge difference between being based and being an Orthodox Christian.
Can you be a little more precise with this critique? Are you saying if a Bishop is caught in a scandal like this, we should turn a blind eye and just pretend it didn't happen? I have mixed feelings about this.

I mean, isn't that what the Papist do with their clergy? Do you think that's ok? Not that I'm accusing you of anything, but do you see why I'm a little weary of this line of thinking?

If I have misconstrued something, please correct me.

Funglool

Banned
Orthodox
Can you be a little more precise with this critique? Are you saying if a Bishop is caught in a scandal like this, we should turn a blind eye and just pretend it didn't happen? I have mixed feelings about this.

I mean, isn't that what the Papist do with their clergy? Do you think that's ok? Not that I'm accusing you of anything, but do you see why I'm a little weary of this line of thinking?

If I have misconstrued something, please correct me.
Fair questions. If you are aware of a crime committed by clergy then go to the police. If you are aware of a moral scandal committed by clergy then then discretely take it to the bishop and leave it in God’s hands. Needless to say, no good or correction will come out of public discussions of scandal and weaker brothers may even lose their faith.

A priest recalls discussing this subject while he was still a layman with Saint Paisios. The laymen was of the opinion that public discussion of scandals was proper and necessary:

Layman: The scandal is true so why should we cover it up? How will this abuse be corrected then?

St. Paisios: Yes, but the enemies of the Church seize on these incidents to undermine her.

-Layman: But isn’t it hypocrisy to hide these things and present a distorted image of the Church?

-St. Paisios: If our mother was a whore would we be broadcasting it on the streets? The Church is our mother and this is not the way to correct evil.

Metropolitan Joel of Edessa shared another discussion about this same topic with Saint Paisios. The saint was told of scandalous rumours of a sexual nature involving a certain bishop. He told the pilgrims that if the bishop was guilty but endured the shame and repented then he would be saved. But if he was innocent and endured the slander, then he would become a saint. Many years later this bishop was proven innocent.

That is a saint talking and also the Holy Spirit that enlightened him.

Paisios Harlan

Pigeon
Orthodox
This is such an informative interview to watch especially on topics related to Christian persecution, face mask & COVID.

Video description

This could have something to do with the trend in the Greek church.
"There are some hierarchs who become hierarchs after they have previously made a prostration in the [Masonic] lodge."
"St. Porphrios used to say that the church's worst enemies are the Masons. They have unfortunately infiltrated into the church as well."
Fr. Savas
"On the Holy Temple of God..."
Listen from 27:45.