Grocery Shortages?

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
What is your area like?

We've remained good for the MOST part. Top Ramen/Cup Noodle have been wiped out for at least a week now. I've seen eggs 100% gone twice since Thanksgiving, but they were fully replenished both times. And pet food was low last week.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I got groceries Saturday night around 7pm, and found the shelves pretty thin at Walmart. However, I had forgotten about the whole supply chain issues at that moment, and was thinking they had been slammed that day, and the stockers hadn't had time to restock. I have seen this at the end of a busy day at various grocery stores over the years.

However, after seeing some pictures and videos of empty shelves on the internet today, I have to admit that's what I saw too. What I saw wasn't as bad as some of the bare shelves scenes getting attention today.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
So far I still have access to all of the foods I eat regularly (helps to have a very simple and mostly unprocessed diet), but have definitely had to "make the rounds" more often in search of certain things, or to avoid paying absurd prices. Lots of sparse and bare shelves, lots of gaps in the produce.

I usually buy butter in one-pound blocks, and I guess the manufacturer and suppliers are ALL OUT at the moment. So I've had to fumble around with the tiny little individually wrapped quarters, and I can't even believe normal people have the patience to unwrap less than a pound of butter at a time. I also had to buy plain old LARGE eggs last time I bought a case, instead of EXTRA large. Boo hoo hoo. :sad::laughter:

I do think it's going to get a lot worse, though.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
We do most of our shopping at Aldi-- battery-cage chicken eggs were gone for a few weeks, chicken parts, milk besides whole milk, pancake mix, spinach, etc.

Chicken disappeared for about two or three months last year, but their frozen section was pretty well stocked (except for vegetables, those were all gone, too).

Cat food is mostly gone everywhere. I have some big cans of emergency food stashed away but we're going on Petsmart run later to check out what they have.

It's not really a big deal at this point because there is plenty of food, but it's probably a taste (hehe) of things to come.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
So far I still have access to all of the foods I eat regularly (helps to have a very simple and mostly unprocessed diet), but have definitely had to "make the rounds" more often in search of certain things, or to avoid paying absurd prices. Lots of sparse and bare shelves, lots of gaps in the produce.

I usually buy butter in one-pound blocks, and I guess the manufacturer and suppliers are ALL OUT at the moment. So I've had to fumble around with the tiny little individually wrapped quarters, and I can't even believe normal people have the patience to unwrap less than a pound of butter at a time. I also had to buy plain old LARGE eggs last time I bought a case, instead of EXTRA large. Boo hoo hoo. :sad::laughter:

I do think it's going to get a lot worse, though.
Oh my gosh, I HATE the one-pound blocks of butter. Kitty! I need to convert you. The sticks have tablespoons marked off! It's the best thing since sliced bread ;)

Cavalier

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
We do most of our shopping at Aldi-- battery-cage chicken eggs were gone for a few weeks, chicken parts, milk besides whole milk, pancake mix, spinach, etc.

Chicken disappeared for about two or three months last year, but their frozen section was pretty well stocked (except for vegetables, those were all gone, too).

Cat food is mostly gone everywhere. I have some big cans of emergency food stashed away but we're going on Petsmart run later to check out what they have.

It's not really a big deal at this point because there is plenty of food, but it's probably a taste (hehe) of things to come.
I don’t know if we will ever get to the point where there are massive shortages of everything. I think this is mostly a form of psychological warfare that they are waging on us. They want us to feel as if we are in a crisis. They really want to sell their fake pandemic. Unfortunately it seems to be working.

Sargon2112

Robin
Protestant

The wife loves Aldi too. She makes a monthly run there, since it's about 25 miles or so away. Thus far, we haven't had to go without anything, but we have had to run around a bit to find stuff and pay more, of course.

We bought half a cow from a local farm back in the summer (picked it up in October), in prep for this. So far we've had two meals from it, but the idea is to hold on to it in case meat prices get really crazy.

soli.deo.gloria

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I had been looking for a particular brand of breakfast sausage that had always been in plentiful supply for as long as I can remember. I checked half a dozen stores and it took about a month before I finally got my hands on some. I also haven't been able to find my preferred brand of ketchup or pickles or hamburger patties (and several other things) for months now and still can't. Overall there are still plenty of good things to eat (thank you God) but I have definitely noticed some shortages.

Renzy

Pelican
Catholic
We generally shop at Giant and in my area there have been a lot of empty areas on the shelves. It's very noticeable now. The most glaring one that I've seen has been for milk. The last two weeks I've gone to the store there was no milk at all when I went into the store. Literally zero jugs available - just a bunch of empty shelves. Even the cans of evaporated milk in the baking aisle were gone. I ended up getting a small carton of ultra-pasteurized milk (nearly $4) as that was the only thing I could find. Our meat section has had a lot of gaps too - in general the selection for beef is now smaller and the prices are higher and with pork it's even more pronounced.

At first I thought the shortages might be from the Christmas and New Years rush and people buying more, but it's obvious at this point that the shelves are simply not being restocked. I talked to one of the stockers about it the last time I went and he said the trucks are no longer delivering as frequently. He said he knew of another Giant store in our area that had not had a delivery in 3 days.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
We generally shop at Giant and in my area there have been a lot of empty areas on the shelves. It's very noticeable now. The most glaring one that I've seen has been for milk. The last two weeks I've gone to the store there was no milk at all when I went into the store. Literally zero jugs available - just a bunch of empty shelves. Even the cans of evaporated milk in the baking aisle were gone. I ended up getting a small carton of ultra-pasteurized milk (nearly $4) as that was the only thing I could find. Our meat section has had a lot of gaps too - in general the selection for beef is now smaller and the prices are higher and with pork it's even more pronounced.

At first I thought the shortages might be from the Christmas and New Years rush and people buying more, but it's obvious at this point that the shelves are simply not being restocked. I talked to one of the stockers about it the last time I went and he said the trucks are no longer delivering as frequently. He said he knew of another Giant store in our area that had not had a delivery in 3 days.
Is "Giant", "Giant Eagle"?

Renzy

Pelican
Catholic
Is "Giant", "Giant Eagle"?

I don't believe so, but I'm not familiar with the Giant Eagle chain of stores. I was referring to -

1641926938876.jpeg

I'm in Maryland so maybe their chain is branded differently in other parts of the country. I recall in New England there was another store that used the same logo as Giant but had a different name (Stop & Shop). When I asked the checkout lady about it she said they were both owned by the same parent company...

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
The wife loves Aldi too. She makes a monthly run there, since it's about 25 miles or so away. Thus far, we haven't had to go without anything, but we have had to run around a bit to find stuff and pay more, of course.

I'm a bit emotionally attached to Aldi because we shopped there growing up, and I like their model (quick lines, bag your own, etc) more than the average grocery store. I think the quality is generally good, too. They were still in good shape last year when most of the others stores looked like a warzone.

I've heard bad things about them in Europe, though, like running other grocery stores out of town (the Wal-mart model), and part of me wonders if they're sort of all-in with future plans, as they sell a lot of fake meat of varying quality and the Gatesburger.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I don't believe so, but I'm not familiar with the Giant Eagle chain of stores. I was referring to -

View attachment 36338

I'm in Maryland so maybe their chain is branded differently in other parts of the country. I recall in New England there was another store that used the same logo as Giant but had a different name (Stop & Shop). When I asked the checkout lady about it she said they were both owned by the same parent company...
Oh okay. So many American grocery stores, I thought I'd heard of them all by now, even the faraway ones. But Maryland is REALLY far away, lol... West Coaster here :)

soli.deo.gloria

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I'm a bit emotionally attached to Aldi because we shopped there growing up, and I like their model (quick lines, bag your own, etc) more than the average grocery store. I think the quality is generally good, too. They were still in good shape last year when most of the others stores looked like a warzone.

I've heard bad things about them in Europe, though, like running other grocery stores out of town (the Wal-mart model), and part of me wonders if they're sort of all-in with future plans, as they sell a lot of fake meat of varying quality and the Gatesburger.
I visited an Aldi for the first time recently and wasn't very impressed. There were a few good deals and a handful of new products I hadn't seen before but overall selection was not that great and they don't have a lot of, probably most, of my favorite brands and products. And some things seemed way more expensive. The store was kind of cluttered with people and carts and boxes of stuff everywhere and the checkout experience wasn't amazing either. I also recently visited a Meijer for the first time and it was a bit better than Aldi but still not impressed. I strongly prefer my local grocery store.

Last edited:

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I visited an Aldi for the first time recently and wasn't very impressed. There were a few good deals and a handful of new products I hadn't seen before but overall selection was not that great and they don't have a lot of, probably most, of my favorite brands and products. And some things seemed way more expensive. The store was kind of cluttered with people and carts and boxes of stuff everywhere and the checkout experience wasn't amazing either.

It seems to vary by location. Mostly everything is private-label; the only things I can think of that are more expensive are laundry detergent, certain personal care products, and some of their seasonal items. Our son prefers their chicken nuggets over others.

I also like their German Christmas stuff but I always get it after Christmas when it's marked down (75% off stollen! Woooo haha)

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I don’t know if we will ever get to the point where there are massive shortages of everything. I think this is mostly a form of psychological warfare that they are waging on us. They want us to feel as if we are in a crisis. They really want to sell their fake pandemic. Unfortunately it seems to be working.

Yeah, I think about that a lot too, as a "history doesn't repeat but it does rhyme." Conditions aren't the same as in the past, things will be different but similar. A lot of people are low-key hoarders, have other sources of food, and I think this whole scam is to avoid large-scale civil unrest (and control the small scale to its advantage).

MK-Ultra did a lot of experiments with removing one or more nutrients from diets and observing results. Serving bad food is part of torture and punishment (search for "prison loaf").

The US faked epidemics in China during the Cold War-- they cleaned out the lab rats from their biowarfare department and released propaganda about bubonic plague (and people did get sick, it just wasn't plague or anywhere near it). "Plan scare not kill" was the idea (basically: pranks as warfare).

Last edited: