Grocery Shortages?

Durden347

Robin
Other Christian
I think the grocery shortages are all over the US. Some stores have it worse than others. I was at a Dollar General today and I was shocked that the drink section was nearly empty. There were some products here and there. Most of the water was taken and same for a lot of the juice products. There were more soda products but not as much.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I actually haven’t noticed any real shortages. There have been a few times of panic buying/hoarding (original Spring 2020 lockdown for example) but the shelves have been consistently full (with the same brands too) at the grocery stores where I’m at (West Coast). The cost of food has skyrocketed though. A gallon of regular whole milk is nearly $6 and meat of all kinds is higher. Produce cost seems about the same.

How was buying part of a cow? Was it expensive? Was is it too much meat? Did they section and pack it for you?

Last edited:

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
Today I went for milk at a common large scale grocery store and there was none, no milk (East coast, mid-Atlantic). The customer service woman told me that they haven't had milk for 10 days.

In jest, I said "I thought empty shelves Joe Biden was a joke". She replied, "No, it's real."

John 3:16

Don Quixote

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I don’t know if we will ever get to the point where there are massive shortages of everything. I think this is mostly a form of psychological warfare that they are waging on us. They want us to feel as if we are in a crisis. They really want to sell their fake pandemic. Unfortunately it seems to be working.
Could they be instituting involuntary "rationing" in preparation for war?

motardpdx

Pigeon
Orthodox
I suspect that within the next 10 years, prior to Agenda 2030 (World Economic Forum) a controlled demolition. This so called Holodomorish will be by design, again these are predictions. The dairy industry will be depleted or staggered, replaced with a plant based substitute or precision fermentation. The cattle and meat industry will be reduced dramatically, some believe only half will remain in full production. This replaced with other plant based meat products or cellular agriculture. Plus, all consumer based fish will be produced in fish factories or fish farms in tanks on land. These alternative food products already exist and only the financing, the scale, and the will is needed to provide the solution. "It's not just about food, it's about our shared humanity"fish.jpg

bmw633

Woodpecker
Shelves were very thin at Walmart in Gloucester VA. Friend who works there said 17 folks called in sick with Covid.

Only the grocery entrance was open at 10am.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Went to an ethnic supermarket yesterday in the Northeast. Nothing was short, everything was full at around 3PM. Most packaged non-perishables weren't from the US. Anyone else visit any ethnic markets recently?

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Went to an ethnic supermarket yesterday in the Northeast. Nothing was short, everything was full at around 3PM. Most packaged non-perishables weren't from the US. Anyone else visit any ethnic markets recently?

Yeah, I go to a Polish one to get stuff like dried mushrooms, certain seasonings, some baked goods, etc. We also found an awesome old-school butcher shop so now there are pig's feet in our freezer.

There are a few Russian ones about 30 minutes away but I like the smaller stores.

Cavalier

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Shelves were very thin at Walmart in Gloucester VA. Friend who works there said 17 folks called in sick with Covid.

Only the grocery entrance was open at 10am.
The problem is that not one of them is likely to be actually sick. This fake testing for a non-existent virus has got to stop. If you feel sick then call in sick if not then come to work.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
The problem is that not one of them is likely to be actually sick. This fake testing for a non-existent virus has got to stop. If you feel sick then call in sick if not then come to work.

I had to call out of work last week because my mom had wuflu and get her meds and tell her to actually eat, sleep, stop watching the news, etc. I told my managers "I'll play it by ear" and they said "ok that's fine."

I can see if one is more paranoid or there are policies in place this would turn into an ordeal, though. A lot of people have been pulling their masks up around me, lol.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I actually haven’t noticed any real shortages. There have been a few times of panic buying/hoarding (original Spring 2020 lockdown for example) but the shelves have been consistently full (with the same brands too) at the grocery stores where I’m at (West Coast). The cost of food has skyrocketed though. A gallon of regular whole milk is nearly $6 and meat of all kinds is higher. Produce cost seems about the same.

How was buying part of a cow? Was it expensive? Was is it too much meat? Did they section and pack it for you?
Buying half a cow was $1,369. We split it with my bro-in-law so we each had a quarter cow for $684. I don't remember exactly how much meat we got, but the ranch's website says that a half cow will yield anywhere from 200-240 pounds. So if we go with the median of 220 pounds, we paid approximately $6.22 a pound. Which of course is on the spendy side for hamburger, but a good price for other cuts. Not to mention the benefit of the meat being local and raised humanely. It was definitely not too much meat. We use a quarter cow in about five months, IIRC. Yes, the butcher packs it individually into ground beef; steaks; roasts, etc.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
We just had a whopper of a snow storm that put many of us without power for up to a week. We lost our well-stocked freezer full of food as our generator quit working! Fortunately our insurance paid us for that loss, but finding the food in stores to replace it is the issue. I was upset as had homemade broth and soups and casseroles lost. Our store shelves are pretty bare, even Costco has empty shelves. Walmart is slim. Food Lion was out of carrots, mushrooms, some dairy.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
From what I see in my area, the foodservice supply chain has been hit harder than retail in terms of having to just go without things. I suppose that for most producers out there, with the increased cost and reduced availability of staffing for processing, transportation, etc. of basically everything - it seems likely that smaller-size retail packaging receives priority in production and distribution. Especially with restaurants being hit with closures and restrictions and more people being forced to eat at home.

One of my favorite restaurants just closed (permanently unless something big changes) because they were too severely understaffed to stay open.

It seems unlikely that we will reach any kind of starvation situation, because we are more profitable as slaves than dead in any significant numbers, and because it will not take a situation anywhere NEAR that dire to completely break average Americans and fear-monger them into genuinely believing that we "need" what they will call "AID" from the United Nations.

Sargon2112

Robin
Protestant
From what I see in my area, the foodservice supply chain has been hit harder than retail in terms of having to just go without things. I suppose that for most producers out there, with the increased cost and reduced availability of staffing for processing, transportation, etc. of basically everything - it seems likely that smaller-size retail packaging receives priority in production and distribution. Especially with restaurants being hit with closures and restrictions and more people being forced to eat at home.

One of my favorite restaurants just closed (permanently unless something big changes) because they were too severely understaffed to stay open.

We are seeing similar things in our area. One of our favorite restaurants (my wife and I like it, but our kids really like it, so it's a favorite) had to close their dining room due to staffing shortages. It's a mom and pop Japanese place, food is always excellent. They are constantly busy, but now, it's all carry-out/drive thru business ran by the owners and their son. Used to be their family plus three or four local kids working after school and such. Not any more.

Camellia

Sparrow
Woman
Catholic
It seems unlikely that we will reach any kind of starvation situation, because we are more profitable as slaves than dead in any significant numbers, and because it will not take a situation anywhere NEAR that dire to completely break average Americans and fear-monger them into genuinely believing that we "need" what they will call "AID" from the United Nations.
They don't need that many slaves because robots will replace most of us. Plus, slaves don't need real food. Lab-grown garbage will be enough to keep them alive.