Growing a beard

Twigg

Sparrow
Orthodox
Recently, I decided to try grow a beard seriously in the past I’ve tried, but given up after a week or so. This time I made more of a commitment to stick to it. I’ve been growing a beard for a month now and well, it’s definitely better than any previous attempt. I still find it’s quite patchy on the sides. I make a daily effort to wash and use beard oil. I was wondering if any one had any tips on improving my beard quality.

Simple Man

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
It's all genetics. The only thing I recommend is do not touch it for 90 days. No trimming, tidying up, etc. If after 90 days it's still patchy, try again next year.
90 days gives every hair a chance to grow. It might look patchy after 30, but the gaps might fill in.

Pete345

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Try using Minoxidil on the patchy spots to help encourage hair growth. You can get it OTC now for a modest price in most countries. I have heard some guys have had success with using that.

Arturo80

Sparrow
Orthodox
I can grow a beast of a beard, but i shave my head due to thinning on top, & dont really care for the look of having an upside down head.

I realise this style is common now, i just think it looks a bit daft.

joost

Pelican
I have a tick but soft facial hair. I try to let it grow now and then but after a week or two it starts to get itchy in the neck and I end up shaving out of spite.

Most girls told me not to shave. I guess they like a bearded man.

Hypno

Crow
When I was in my 20s, I could never grow a beard because it came in patchy. Later in life I tried again and was discouraged with slow growth. Someone gave me the advice that it takes 14 weeks to grow a beard - I'm glad I listened.

You can still trim/edge it a little but the point is don't give up until you have invested 14 weeks.

Minoxidil is pricy and does nothing for me; ymmv. Biotin is cheap, I think its one of the B vitamins, and will strengthen you bones and hair, it may help with growth.

Akaky Akakievitch

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I'm still waiting for my 'Tim Allen as Santa Claus' moment, I'm not quite there yet...

1668535569777.gif

Craig Truglia wrote a funny piece on beards a few years ago, which i found recently:

So, what is the relief valve for those emasculated men who wouldn’t know Biblical masculinity if it hit them in the face? Beard-preening.

“Yo bruh, look at my beard!,” says one of these men. “What beard oil do you recommend? How about beard trimmer?”

Newsflash. Abraham never oiled his beard. Admit it to yourself. You’re just strutting your stuff like a peacock and feel so insecure, you have to take pictures of yourself and talk about your beard. Maybe, the ignorant will misconstrue all of this as manliness. Maybe, you may buy the idea yourself.

I would recommend reading it through in context, it's quite short, only a couple minutes reading time.

His emphasis is on cultivating humility, above all else. He re-iterates there's nothing wrong with beards at all, as long as we aren't spending more time shaping it and touching it than we are focusing on God. Same goes with our appearance in general. We live in the most image-conscious society ever so we should use more caution, unless we get lured in by vanity.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
Try using Minoxidil on the patchy spots to help encourage hair growth. You can get it OTC now for a modest price in most countries. I have heard some guys have had success with using that.
I wouldn't recommend that.

I tried that for my hair (foam) and had pain around my heart for a week, even after going extremely low dosage. And that pain was off/on for weeks after I stopped.

But there's no studies on application to the face. Some guys get worse side effects than on the top of the head.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Other Christian
Gold Member
I can grow a beast of a beard, but i shave my head due to thinning on top, & dont really care for the look of having an upside down head.

I realise this style is common now, i just think it looks a bit daft.
Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.png

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Don't overcomplicate. You either have a good beard or you don't. Some oils or other effeminate commercial things won't change that. I especially like beards as a sort of viking look, with bald head or very short hair. Actually my hair started thinning in my early 20s so I gradually moved over to a beard which became longer over time and I like the look very much, very masculine. Now I happen to have solid genetics for it and for some it just won't work. Wash it 2-3 times a week with water only should be fine. From a hygiene standpoint the beard isn't that bad to be fair, I never have trouble with eating or so, just fresh your mouth up with a bit of soap after you've eaten dinner and all should be fine.

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Trad Catholic
Gold Member
Just let it do its thing, and leave it alone. Some hairs simply take longer to grow than others. In 3 months time, trim it all to a presentable length, and then decide if its patchy or not. That's not really something you can figure out after a few weeks, and in 3 months time it might look quite reasonable.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
Hair growing drugs get into your bloodstream and mess with your blood vessels.

It is just not worth it.

We all can’t have Roosh’s beard. Unfortunately.

Max Roscoe

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
When I first grew a serious beard, I found beards.org to be a great resource. They have a forum there as well, all guys supporting each other in their quest to grow a nice manly beard. Great community. I'm an amateur beard grower who will just say: Let it grow naturally, and wait to trim. Also chicks really do dig beards. I didn't do it for women, but it was nice to be complimented by females (and men) on my beard.

RedLagoon

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Beard oil? Seriously sounds weird and gross.

Just grow it out and stop worrying about what others think.

I'm blessed with my beard but it shouldn't be a big deal if it's not 100%, so never take supplements for it bro.