Growing a beard

Pete345

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I do put a little bit of light leave-in hair conditioner in my beard, after I shower. It helps keep my beard from getting too dry and frazzled. Part of this comes with age, as my hair is like this too. The conditioner is not at all oily.

Prores

Robin
Orthodox
I use rhassoul clay on my hair to clean it, and a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water to condition. Clays like bentonite and rhassoul will draw dirt and toxins out, unlike "shampoos" whatever they are.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I use rhassoul clay on my hair to clean it, and a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water to condition. Clays like bentonite and rhassoul will draw dirt and toxins out, unlike "shampoos" whatever they are.
How do you use this clay? Can it be used as a face wash?

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
My beard is not super thick, but it definitely gets better after 3 months or so. Length will fill in a lot of gaps.

Don't listen to people who dislike beards, you'll find men and women that hate them. Don't be perturbed by this. Definitely don't shave because you think women will like you better. If a woman doesn't like your beard she ain't worth your time...

Also just accept what you have. Not everyone is blessed with a thick beard, no point worrying about it or trying to improve it with the various 'remedies' you hear about. Just grow what you've got and don't care what other people think.

Prores

Robin
Orthodox
How do you use this clay? Can it be used as a face wash?

Yes absolutely- it comes as a powder and you add water until it's spreadable, then you let it sit on your face/skin for 10 minutes. All we have for staying clean in our home is clay and apple cider vinegar.

People in third world countries clean themselves like this, it has the added benefit of drawing toxins out of your body and removing dead skin cells as well

inthefade

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Yes absolutely- it comes as a powder and you add water until it's spreadable, then you let it sit on your face/skin for 10 minutes. All we have for staying clean in our home is clay and apple cider vinegar.

People in third world countries clean themselves like this, it has the added benefit of drawing toxins out of your body and removing dead skin cells as well
Do you know how it compares to this kind of clay? https://redmond.life/products/redmond-clay-10-oz

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
idil works to repair patches and improve thickness / quality. I can personally attest to it.

Some people may benefit in the beard department from this, but it would be remiss to not mention that putting a chemical on your face may have side effects and people should consider this and do research prior to doing so.

Personally I think a lot of people who consider their beard sparse and patchy just haven't given it long enough to grow. Definitely grow your beard for at least 3 to 6 months before considering getting chemicals involved.

Also I'd say it's good to just accept what we have. My cheeks are not very thick and do not have good coverage but it's what God has given me and I don't really care if people don't like how it looks. If your beard is really sparse and patchy then maybe don't grow it out but generally I think is spiritually beneficial to accept what you have and not be envious of what other people look like.

Aldhelm

Chicken
Orthodox
I started growing a beard when I was baptised (ROCOR parish, it's de rigeur I think but not at all in a bad way) and it took a few months before it was 'too long' but only in that it was too long in the wrong places. If it's patchy it looks better when trimmed, I think, generally, but that's only worth doing after a couple of months just so you know what shape to put it to. I started trimming it and I looked a bit less... mad? I looked a bit mad. I have a moustache now anyway.
Something that is more important than this, though, especially for those who have just come to the faith and especially those who are young and tend to debauchery of any sort (like myself and many others, Lord have mercy), is that having a beard makes you immediately look (and feel) rather older and less 'youthful' (and therefore less fitting for the sort of thing you would associate with a previous 'worldly' life); there are several reasons monastics and priests grow their beards and this is one of them. The ancient Greeks- or especially the Athenians - considered you a 'man' when you start growing a beard. I find, personally anyway, that a set of whiskers helps keep one a little more in check spiritually- perhaps because it can be a mark of your place in the church of our Lord (and a reminder of the covenant made at baptism).

Batman_

Kingfisher
Beard growth is 100% genetics. Don't try to force one if you're not cut out for it.

Besides, I wouldn't even bother growing a beard if you're under 40; almost all hipsters/millenials have beards now, so unless you want to be associated with them and look like everyone else, go for the clean shaven/stubble look to be a true rebel (most women prefer stubble/light scruff anyway).

I say this as someone who can grow a fantastic beard but who refuses to grow it to beyond 1 week, in order to further distance myself from millenials/lereddit soyboys/simps.

Last edited:

Beyond Borders

Peacock
Gold Member
Besides, I wouldn't even bother growing a beard if you're under 40; almost all hipsters/millenials have beards now, so unless you want to be associated with them and look like everyone else, go for the clean shaven/stubble look to be a true rebel (most women prefer stubble/light scruff anyway).

I say this as someone who can grow a fantastic beard but who refuses to grow it to beyond 1 week, in order to further distance myself from millenials/lereddit soyboys/simps.

I get kind of annoyed when friends suggest I should let the hipsters dictate my choices in any way, though. Whether it be a hairstyle, article of clothing, choice of beer, whatever.

Using this as an example... What if you already enjoyed wearing beards before it was the "in" thing for the types you just mentioned? So you suddenly can't wear beards anymore because hipsters do? Seems like an extremely reactive, even weak line of thinking. "Okay, you guys pick what you like and I'll just do the opposite"??

Hipsters embraced a lot of things that were quality things to embrace before it was even a word -- now those options belong solely to them? They wanted to seem sophisticated or whatever, but some of these things were still quality things. And where I come from there were always at least some guys rocking beards.

I think avoiding a fashion statement just because everyone else is suddenly doing it is just as silly as suddenly embracing it just to fit in. Isn't it just an attempt to fit in with the "anti-hipster" crowd?

That doesn't sound very rebellious to me.

"Cool" things come and go, and everything has its time as a fad at one point or another. If you truly don't care about what the crowd is doing, just do whatever you actually like, whenever you like, and let the chips fall where they may.

As for women, if you've got the rest of your vibe together, no woman will mistake you for a hipster or soy boy in the slightest.

Beards are as old as man. Who cares what some spindly-armed, high-pitched soy boy is doing? If you want to sport one, whatever your reason, own it.

Batman_

Kingfisher
I get kind of annoyed when friends suggest I should let the hipsters dictate my choices in any way, though. Whether it be a hairstyle, article of clothing, choice of beer, whatever.

Using this as an example... What if you already enjoyed wearing beards before it was the "in" thing for the types you just mentioned? So you suddenly can't wear beards anymore because hipsters do? Seems like an extremely reactive, even weak line of thinking. "Okay, you guys pick what you like and I'll just do the opposite"??

Hipsters embraced a lot of things that were quality things to embrace before it was even a word -- now those options belong solely to them? They wanted to seem sophisticated or whatever, but some of these things were still quality things. And where I come from there were always at least some guys rocking beards.

I think avoiding a fashion statement just because everyone else is suddenly doing it is just as silly as suddenly embracing it just to fit in. Isn't it just an attempt to fit in with the "anti-hipster" crowd?

That doesn't sound very rebellious to me.

"Cool" things come and go, and everything has its time as a fad at one point or another. If you truly don't care about what the crowd is doing, just do whatever you actually like, whenever you like, and let the chips fall where they may.

As for women, if you've got the rest of your vibe together, no woman will mistake you for a hipster or soy boy in the slightest.

Beards are as old as man. Who cares what some spindly-armed, high-pitched soy boy is doing? If you want to sport one, whatever your reason, own it.
Fair points and I would agree. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I've seen far too many lereddit soyboys and tryhard hipsters to be able to disassociate it from them (especially since I work in tech). I simply don't want to look like a homogenous clone of every other man. But yes, they do not "own" that and there is no reason you need to be lumped in with them.

I could argue nothing you do for appearances sake is "for yourself" anyway. Ultimately I think it's perfectly valid to take a more deliberate approach in your appearance and how others may perceive it. A secondary, or perhaps primary function of clothing, haircuts, facial hair, etc, is to communicate to others your sensibility/character or are least how you want to be perceived. We're all playing a game, the ego is just a social tool.

Last edited: