Have you ever been punched in the face?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
The first time I got punched in the face was in 1994 at a local community centre dance, I was 12 and I took this girl named Julia off a guy named Sam. I was feeling pretty cocky and noticed Sam eye balling me as I danced with Julia, so once the song was done, I went over to him with my hands in the air like an idiot and gave him the old screw face with my hands up then he smashed me in the face. My nose blew up and there was blood everywhere, some adults intervened to break up the fight but the deal was done, I got my ass handed to me and a couple of weeks later, Julia dumped me.

So do any of you have stories about getting beat up when you were a kid? I think getting your face smashed in at a young age builds character and is an important stepping stone in life.

Never trust anyone who hasn’t been punched in the face!

ilostabet

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
As any normal kid, I had been in 'fights' before, but nothing really serious, just kids stuff.

But then in 6th grade, 11 years old, I got into a proper fight. There was this guy in my class who was two years older than me and I can't remember the reason but once during recess we got into an escalating argument and then got into it proper. I actually punched him first and then we went tumbling to the floor. Since he was stronger than me it didn't take long until I was pinned down, unable to get out, and he was punching me over and over in the face, so many times I passed out for a bit. I was so bloody and hurt that they sent me home for the day. I remember my face being deformed and blue for a week or so after. I couldn't even complain, since I started it.

It taught me not to start fights for no good reason.

ginsu

Kingfisher
I guess the first real punches where when i was around 11, playing in the school yard someone kicked a ball into a girl who then started crying ( of course ). White knights came to the rescue and identified me as the as the one who did it. They didn't believe me and chased me down. One held me down and the other proceeded to punch me in the face. Unfortunately i didn't learn much from this event, i wish it wouldve been a wake up call but no.

The second important time was around 22 when i joined muay thai, during the sparring i paired up with a new guy, who said he had experience before and was just returning. This gym was way too full i guess they needed the money, i had no space to move around and as there where people sparring everywhere i was backed into the mirrored wall and said okay lets stop for a minute, lowered my hands. The guy just kept punching though and almost knocked me out, that was the first time i literately saw stars. Anyway muay thai is full of aggresive idiots ( morrocans/turks) who have an ego. i wouldn't recommend it. Boxing/bjj is much better and filled with classy people the more migrant background there is in the gym the more aggressive/ego driven it will be. Also i wouldn't spar with a new person that looks like hes trying to prove something, thinks highly of himself instead of being humble.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
Growing up through high school, I was in many fights. This was white, small town midwest in the 70s, so it wasn't life or death. I was bullied when I was younger, as a poorly socialized nerd, but when I hit puberty, I grew a foot, and started having more drive to fight back.

I was also in fights as an adult, at ages 21, 26, and 30. I've never had any desire for brawling or starting fights, but found myself in some situations where the other guy took a swing at me, so I took a swing at him, and we went at it. I took a number of punches to the face, and dealt out quite a few to my opponents.

If I got in a fight now, I would assume it is life or death, and I would try to make every blow disabling, without concern for any injuries I caused. Hopefully it won't be necessary to fight like that, but I will do what I have to if I need to defend myself.

Last edited:

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
First time I got punched in the face was in middle school, on the NYC subway. This Russian kid we took the train with had a bone to pick with me in order to gain status among our immediate circle (he wasn’t the sharpest). One day the energy was high and he made it clear he wanted to fight, now. At the time (12 years old) I was quite scrawny, and not looking to start anything I could potentially lose. The Russian, who was slightly heftier, decided to exercise the law of the jungle...

He swung first and landed a hit on my face. I swung back and hit him in the tooth, busting one of my knuckles in the process. It was a blur after that, but next thing I knew he was on the subway seat with my hands around his neck, his feet wildly thrashing about. I got kicked in the face while I was choking him out, and the fight got broken up shortly by our fellow middle school friends.

Well, I chimped out a bit. Still fun to say I’ve been in a fight (a lot of people I know never have). Getting punched in the face ain’t fun but it sure does build character.

kazz

Kingfisher
I have been punched, slapped pushed many times. Only one was a serious assault, a sucker punch broke my jaw and ruined my nose. I have had three surgeries on it now. My advise avoid if possible, if you cant kick the guy in the balls the nose, neck get whatever weapon you can find no such thing as dirty fighting if you did not choose to fight. If its a group hit the guy that looks like the leader, then run away as fast as you can.

Most of the time guys are just pissed and/or bluffing, it amounts to nothing. You can tell the guys that are not bluffing.

The second important time was around 22 when i joined muay thai, during the sparring i paired up with a new guy, who said he had experience before and was just returning. This gym was way too full i guess they needed the money, i had no space to move around and as there where people sparring everywhere i was backed into the mirrored wall and said okay lets stop for a minute, lowered my hands. The guy just kept punching though and almost knocked me out, that was the first time i literately saw stars. Anyway muay thai is full of aggresive idiots ( morrocans/turks) who have an ego. i wouldn't recommend it. Boxing/bjj is much better and filled with classy people the more migrant background there is in the gym the more aggressive/ego driven it will be. Also i wouldn't spar with a new person that looks like hes trying to prove something, thinks highly of himself instead of being humble.

Are you Dutch, if it's not imprudent from me to ask?

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
By the knife going into you...
Seriously fighting is stupid if you can avoid it, luckily the few fights I had were in high school and the other dudes weren't a knife / gun wielding psycho or a gangster.

I think bullying is usually more damaging than a fight in the schoolyard because it's not violence that you can respond to, but constant humiliation with the threat of violence, usually by a group so you feel everyone hates you and nobody would support you if you fought back.

A punch in the face is not a big deal in comparison, bullied kids with no power or hope can become school shooters.

Last edited:

ginsu

Kingfisher
Are you Dutch, if it's not imprudent from me to ask?

Its a good guess, as there is a big muay thai community in netherlands. There are some famous dutch kickboxers, and famous gyms there. It attracts a majority migrant background crowd. The image of aggression/manliness is attractive to them as it fits with the culture. But too many get into it for the wrong reasons, status / learning it to be emboldened on the street or just to hurt people. Not for the beauty of the sport.

Last edited:

Towgunner

Kingfisher
Yes. In several fights as a kid. Someone once kneed me in my face and chipped my tooth. That wasn't a fight that was a play fight. I recall Marine boot camp. They stick you in a small space with one other person and you basically both tee-off on each other.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I was in some tussles in grade school, but fists don't do jack shit back then.

Middle school, this all changed. Some kids hit puberty, others did not. I was a late bloomer and still a little cunt having V Dart wars like a kid. For some reason I decided to hit a dude who was essentially a full grown man, with a mustache and everything. Arms built from hefting hay bails. He punched me so hard I think I landed on my back.

It was a good lesson for me. And I took my dad's boxing lessons a lot more serious after that.

Oz.

Pelican
Hell yeah, I don't even remember the first time I got punched. I've been in combat sports since I was 11 years old.

Almost got knocked out once, but, managed to get back up from my knee. I was trying to wrestle someone much bigger down and I got uppercutted so hard that he broke my nose and gave me a black eye at the same time.

My face was beautiful for a couple of weeks.

SiverFox

Robin
Many, many times during 20 years of rugby both during and after the games. In college after games, my teammates and I would punch each other at the drink up if you didn't get a black eye from the game.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
I was in some tussles in grade school, but fists don't do jack shit back then.

Middle school, this all changed. Some kids hit puberty, others did not. I was a late bloomer and still a little cunt having V Dart wars like a kid. For some reason I decided to hit a dude who was essentially a full grown man, with a mustache and everything. Arms built from hefting hay bails. He punched me so hard I think I landed on my back.

It was a good lesson for me. And I took my dad's boxing lessons a lot more serious after that.

When I tell my american friends stories like this about growing up in Canada and going to school and there being fights on a regular basis they are shocked. It seems like 1980 through 2000 Canadian public school life was the wild west.

I first got punched in the face by a kid on the bus after I insulted his sister in about 5th grade. I punched him back and then we both sort of sat there stunned and crying, more at the shock than the pain.

By the time accelerating fights started it was about 8th grade and i was taking jiu jitsu. I didn't have to punch anyone in the face outside of sparring from there all the way through university. I rarely drank and so it was a matter of just tripping drunks into joint locks and knowing when to leave any tense situation.

Two other punch in the face situations I remember quite well that formed people were

1. 8th grade again, this mild mannered polish-canadian guy I would hang around with found out that the schoolyard bully was picking on his younger brother. Polish guy had never been in a fight but landed a perfect punch on the bully that busted his face open like a ripe tomato. The bully lost all power that day, beaten in public by a 'nerd'. Lesson - do not mess with younger siblings.

2. 8th grade again, this girl in my class, who was one of the top 2 girls in the social order was mocking or making fun of boy in my class in front of the other girls. He said something to her and she kicked him in the balls. He came up out of being doubled over with a haymaker that briefly knocked this girl out, and gave her a classic black eye. He barely avoided being expelled from school. This girl's personality though was changed forever. She abandoned her post as top bitch and became somewhat of a loner/ academic gold digger, like the kind that dates university professors. It was really interesting.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
When I tell my american friends stories like this about growing up in Canada and going to school and there being fights on a regular basis they are shocked. It seems like 1980 through 2000 Canadian public school life was the wild west.

I first got punched in the face by a kid on the bus after I insulted his sister in about 5th grade. I punched him back and then we both sort of sat there stunned and crying, more at the shock than the pain.

By the time accelerating fights started it was about 8th grade and i was taking jiu jitsu. I didn't have to punch anyone in the face outside of sparring from there all the way through university. I rarely drank and so it was a matter of just tripping drunks into joint locks and knowing when to leave any tense situation.

Two other punch in the face situations I remember quite well that formed people were

1. 8th grade again, this mild mannered polish-canadian guy I would hang around with found out that the schoolyard bully was picking on his younger brother. Polish guy had never been in a fight but landed a perfect punch on the bully that busted his face open like a ripe tomato. The bully lost all power that day, beaten in public by a 'nerd'. Lesson - do not mess with younger siblings.

2. 8th grade again, this girl in my class, who was one of the top 2 girls in the social order was mocking or making fun of boy in my class in front of the other girls. He said something to her and she kicked him in the balls. He came up out of being doubled over with a haymaker that briefly knocked this girl out, and gave her a classic black eye. He barely avoided being expelled from school. This girl's personality though was changed forever. She abandoned her post as top bitch and became somewhat of a loner/ academic gold digger, like the kind that dates university professors. It was really interesting.

There were weeks in grade 8 and 9 where I swear every damn day there was a fight. And only once in a while did the principal and gym teacher get called to come out. One of those times was for me.

A good friend of mine was supposed to scrap after school so I went with him in our group. Another kid, jealous some manipulative girl supposedly like me, had plans to jump me with two other kids. So my buddy scraps, bloodies the kids nose and the fight is called. Out of the corner of my eye I see a wind up and a hail maker for my head. I flinch and the punch mostly misses me but his two buddies are already coming at me. I manage to flee through them and start booking it. I turn up an alley and see my buddies (the guy who had just won the scrap) older brother and his metal head 'skid' buddies coming up the alley. They see me, clock the situation, and turn the tables on the goons chasing me down. They lay the boots to them pretty good. At that point some of my girl friends are walking with the principal and gym teacher toward the chaos.

Outcome? Nothing. It appeared that the only reason for teacher intervention was for unfair, or ambush fights. Any fights agreed upon were allowed to happen. Seems crazy, but when I got older I realized that there was no way for us to keep after school fights a secret.

Wild West indeed.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
There were weeks in grade 8 and 9 where I swear every damn day there was a fight. And only once in a while did the principal and gym teacher get called to come out. One of those times was for me.

A good friend of mine was supposed to scrap after school so I went with him in our group. Another kid, jealous some manipulative girl supposedly like me, had plans to jump me with two other kids. So my buddy scraps, bloodies the kids nose and the fight is called. Out of the corner of my eye I see a wind up and a hail maker for my head. I flinch and the punch mostly misses me but his two buddies are already coming at me. I manage to flee through them and start booking it. I turn up an alley and see my buddies (the guy who had just won the scrap) older brother and his metal head 'skid' buddies coming up the alley. They see me, clock the situation, and turn the tables on the goons chasing me down. They lay the boots to them pretty good. At that point some of my girl friends are walking with the principal and gym teacher toward the chaos.

Outcome? Nothing. It appeared that the only reason for teacher intervention was for unfair, or ambush fights. Any fights agreed upon were allowed to happen. Seems crazy, but when I got older I realized that there was no way for us to keep after school fights a secret.

Wild West indeed.

lol. "Skids" those were the days.

It was the same at my school. No fighting on school property, many fights took place just on the sidewalk down past the school where the smokers would go. The teachers would not intervene.

If someone wanted to really risk life and limb they would go and hang out at the arcade and/or pool hall. It was the hangout for all of the boys that were not yet old enough for houseparties and drinking. It was also the hangout for 18+ dudes that were dating highschool girls, those were also usually the weed dealers and people responsible when fights ended up with severe injuries.