Home Remedies You've Tried

Camellia

Sparrow
Woman
Catholic
For indigestion: drink 1/2 cup seltzer water, juice of 1/2 a lemon, and a teaspoon of baking soda.

For acid reflux: a red delicious apple (or some other sweet apple). My husband found this online one late night when I was heavily pregnant and had horrible acid reflux. It was a life saver!

For a scratchy throat: dilute 1 part hydrogen peroxide in 3 parts water. Gargle 3 times. Repeat a couple times a day until the pain is gone.

For food poisoning or diarrhea: take activated charcoal.

Last edited:

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
Mint tea for digestion. I don't have it often but if ever I accidentally over-eat then yes.

I've been getting cold sores occasionally since I was a kid.
Happy I get that only rarely now, associated with sickness. I learned what one trick is though, if you want to stick with natural remedies.

There are two amino acids which seem to be at war with each other, arginine and lysine. Well, not sure if I've understood it right but the arginine amplifies cold sores and the lysine makes them go away.

Avoid arginine, which means avoid nuts especially peanuts, as well as seeds and chocolate. Maybe you don't eat them anyway, but if you do you will notice it rather suddenly get worse.

I have taken lysine capsules and it works quite quickly. Never tried to find a food with lysine but there probably is one.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
It's a little gross, but this is a super helpful thing. I didn't learn it until I was in my 40s.

When your sinuses are clogged up, or full of dry boogers that can't be blown out, snort up water to moisten everything before trying to blow your nose.

Ideally, saline water should be used. Regular fresh water burns, but saline doesn't. You can get saline nose spray for this purpose, which I still consider a natural remedy.

They also have the neti pots, which squirt water in one nostril, and it comes out the other. This obviously is best in the shower, and it works great, but there is a lot of prep involved.

I live in a dry climate, and my sinuses often get closed off with hard, spikey, painful boogers. I just wet my face so the insides of my nostrils have water clinging, and snort it up until my sinuses are generally damp. It makes a huge difference over trying to clear things out dry.

If you live in a moist climate, you may have no idea what I'm talking about. If so, you're blessed. I love traveling to places like this for work.

EntWife

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
It's a little gross, but this is a super helpful thing. I didn't learn it until I was in my 40s.

When your sinuses are clogged up, or full of dry boogers that can't be blown out, snort up water to moisten everything before trying to blow your nose.

Ideally, saline water should be used. Regular fresh water burns, but saline doesn't. You can get saline nose spray for this purpose, which I still consider a natural remedy.

They also have the neti pots, which squirt water in one nostril, and it comes out the other. This obviously is best in the shower, and it works great, but there is a lot of prep involved.

I live in a dry climate, and my sinuses often get closed off with hard, spikey, painful boogers. I just wet my face so the insides of my nostrils have water clinging, and snort it up until my sinuses are generally damp. It makes a huge difference over trying to clear things out dry.

If you live in a moist climate, you may have no idea what I'm talking about. If so, you're blessed. I love traveling to places like this for work.
I recommend moving! :oops:

EntWife

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I think even in otherwise moist climates, this is a problem during winter when the heated indoor air has super low humidity.
That's true. I've got to buy another humidifier for that reason.

I usually have a couple cups of hot tea a day. Holding it under my face and breathing the steam helps with sinus issues. Plus I just like it.

TexasJenn

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Happy I get that only rarely now, associated with sickness. I learned what one trick is though, if you want to stick with natural remedies.

There are two amino acids which seem to be at war with each other, arginine and lysine. Well, not sure if I've understood it right but the arginine amplifies cold sores and the lysine makes them go away.

Avoid arginine, which means avoid nuts especially peanuts, as well as seeds and chocolate. Maybe you don't eat them anyway, but if you do you will notice it rather suddenly get worse.

I have taken lysine capsules and it works quite quickly. Never tried to find a food with lysine but there probably is one.
Thanks. I was aware of this. I take lysine supplements, and when I feel the threat of an outbreak, I try to avoid arginine-rich foods and have more lysine-rich foods.

I have this book called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" that has extensive recommendations for supplements, foods, and other non-pharma remedies for all the major ailments. I highly recommend the book.

Ah_Tibor

Pelican
Woman
Orthodox
Turmeric really does help with inflammation. It also can stop a cut from bleeding (I once took off a chunk of my finger with a mandolin).

Cons: when the capsule breaks open it tastes/feels kind of terrible.

I drink chaga tea. It does seem to help with inflammation and general well-being. It is an acquired taste though-- if you've ever wondered what birch tree fungus tastes like, it's pretty much what you'd expect.

Atlas Shrugged

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Turmeric really does help with inflammation. It also can stop a cut from bleeding (I once took off a chunk of my finger with a mandolin).

Cons: when the capsule breaks open it tastes/feels kind of terrible.

I drink chaga tea. It does seem to help with inflammation and general well-being. It is an acquired taste though-- if you've ever wondered what birch tree fungus tastes like, it's pretty much what you'd expect.
Why did I think chaga was the mushroom tea. Considering how much I love mushrooms I should drink some mushroom tea. Forgot which mushroom it is though.

EntWife

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/sinus-allergies-headaches-inflammation.42603/

@nathan

I use vinegar steam for sinus headaches, sinus infections, and upper respiratory infections. A warning though, if you put vinegar and water in a vaporizer or warm mist humidifier, it will work, but it will smell like dirty old socks. Vinegar water in a pot on the stove, turned on low heat, works better and smells like vinegar.

Drinking a cup of hot peppermint tea helps also. Holding it under your face and breathing in the peppermint steam is very soothing.

nathan

Robin
Catholic
https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/sinus-allergies-headaches-inflammation.42603/

@nathan

I use vinegar steam for sinus headaches, sinus infections, and upper respiratory infections. A warning though, if you put vinegar and water in a vaporizer or warm mist humidifier, it will work, but it will smell like dirty old socks. Vinegar water in a pot on the stove, turned on low heat, works better and smells like vinegar.

Drinking a cup of hot peppermint tea helps also. Holding it under your face and breathing in the peppermint steam is very soothing.
Interesting, I'll give this a try. thanks