Homeschooling

Easy to do when you have the sheckels. Now imagine if we defunded the public schools and gave all that wasted money back to the people. It wouldn't be hard for us to replicate similar.

Sucks that some of my engineering buddies have to pay taxes for schooling that they don't send their kids to. They send em to a Bible Private school. No tax breaks. Annoys me .. But it pisses them clear the f*** off

Mike_Key

Robin
Sucks that some of my engineering buddies have to pay taxes for schooling that they don't send their kids to. They send em to a Bible Private school. No tax breaks. Annoys me .. But it pisses them clear the f*** off
I've seen much of that with those that send their kids to private schools; most homeschooling parents (or those that are informed) on the other hand wouldn't accept money from the Gov't (or back from the Gov't) because strings will always be attached, without fail.

A problem with Private schools is that often you'll have a bad apple or very bad apple that Public schools don't want so they expel them. Also, Private schoolers are cocky and arrogant, it screws them up figuratively and literally. They have (or are given) money and cars at age 16. When I was in the 7th grade as a public-schooler, I met a black girl (also in 7th grade) from a private school and she told me that a high-schooler from her Private school was climbing in or had climbed into her window at night for sex. He obviously was given gas money and a car. Mind you, this 7th grader black girl had Black professional parents that neglected her, but no excuses.

Another obnoxious private school girl at age 15 or 16 was dating a 21 year old; her single mom (no dad in the picture, at all) I supposed tried to marry her off. Lol, it didn't work. I tell you, there are many baffling stories out there.

It's all anecdotal but too it's all about a recipe. You are baking something. You put something in the oven and watch what is revealed. At age 18, you hope your recipe included all the essentials.

Kid recipe:

Faith in God
Self respect
Hard work
Humility
Honest pride in their abilities
Courage, no fear
Healthy fear of failure and of the future
Take themselves seriously
Ambition
Astute, less clown, a little clown
Honest humor about ideas, not people
Prudence
Healthy fear of drugs and alcohol
No drugs or alcohol
Physical fitness
Small or appropriate serving sizes, with food (even for HS football linemen)
etc.

John 3:16

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
A problem with Private schools is that often you'll have a bad apple or very bad apple that Public schools don't want so they expel them. Also,

I went to a private military school (high school). We would get cadets that were rotten to the core. Some could function in a military type environment. However, the drug addicts were useless. Mommy & Daddy would send their "little darling" to get his life turned around. The rest of us were ready to murder him. Military school worked with group punishments. If one guy fucked up everyone got punished. The druggies were nihilists and just didn't give a shit what happened to them and definitely cared nothing for others.

My roommate was a bad apple. Not criminal or a druggie, just a complete fuck-up. After weeks on end of all of us being punished because he couldn't even manage to show up to formation on time, he was brutalized by other cadets. He eventually left school.

Some years back, I Googled his name to find out what the hell happened to him. I came across court records with a document presented by a psychiatrist. This was in regards to a legal appeal by my former roommate after being denied a certain federal license (being vague here because I don't want to doxx him). He went from military school to being housed in multiple mental institutions. Turns out all the stupid shit he did was actually various forms of mental illness. Some shit the shrink detailed in regards to my rommate's fantasies was downright scary. So a guy who should have been put under psychiatric care ended up in military school in some vain hope by his parents that he would be cured / fixed somehow.

Mike_Key

Robin
My Summary / Datasheet:

Homeschooling

Starting (Curriculum):

You will go to Curriculum fairs (occasionally held at a County Fairgrounds) to see all the items for purchase and quite possibly buy some. There you’ll see the rich wealthy guy with a Rolex watch, rich families and not, the Mennonites, average families, …, etc.

You need to find a curriculum to use and follow. Tables are set up with many vendors. The great thing about an in-person event is you get to ask all your questions at Curriculum fairs and listen in on other parent’s discussions with vendors, if you can’t think of good questions. If you are doing this online, simply find 3 or 4 major vendors and compare/contrast their products.

Homeschooling became vivid for me at a Curriculum fair, I picked up a heavy duty plastic packet. In the packet was a dead frog, for dissection. It may take a moment like this to bring you to an epiphany, so to speak. Since that point for my family, on our own time, we’ve been herping for live animals with nets and have been successful, plus many other outdoor activities. Eventually, in a year or so, we’ll actually dissect animals.

Recently for some Non-covid reason our local “Regional” fair was canceled, circa 2017. We considered traveling to Ohio for a Homeschooling curriculum fair which would have been no easy feat but something we would have gladly done. We’ve bought online after that.

Curriculum that you purchase can be offered to you a couple of different manners. One is buying products and keeping them. Another, involves “renting” for a semester a collection of DVDs. You then mail the DVD collection back to the producer in January or, say, June. The upside to buy the product outright, you can continue studying into the winter or summer should you lag behind. And secondly, you can give the product away or “gift it” to friends/family. Some curriculums are secular, some bible based, standard education and/or recitation. We currently have a mix going. We’ve definitely used bible based curriculum and still do. But we’ve also included Classical Conversations ™ steeped in recitation of subjects. Songs are used to learn about Timelines (History, historical timelines) and things like Math facts (I imagine, I merely observe, I don’t teach).

Day to Day:

Once you get started, you can start your day at any time. I’ve seen both methods of kids starting prior to 9am and finishing by 1 or 2pm. Also, I’ve seen kids starting late, such as 11am and studying until 6pm with a late 2pm lunch. The kids will get into a rhythm and know they need to cover 5 subjects per day.

City or County obligation:

As mentioned prior, you declare with the County school board your intention to homeschool, you cover subjects through the semester(s), you make an appointment, a County official grades you at said appointment - that you are thorough, that you are teaching, that all is well, etc. This is to make sure kids are keeping up and likely originated as an ‘anti-abuse’ measure.

The People you will meet:

As for the types of people you meet. A majority are very sound and decent – they are looking out for the best interest of the kids. As with kids, you’ll learn about personalities. With kids, you find out which kid is lazy, which is zealous, etc. Parents too, at “shared learning” or Co-ops – you learn which parent is a worker bee, which is the lazy parent “teaching PE, always”, etc. But everyone finds their wheel-house. In the years, 6 years, that we’ve done homeschooling there haven’t been problems. We had to exclude only one mom (so I hear, I’m merely the dad on the sidelines) that went through a divorce and chose a different bothersome route for herself. She ex-fil’ed herself, actually.

Groups/Co-ops:

Co-ops are where some gathering of parents come together to teach extracurricular classes. For example, auto-mechanics, science of explosions, photography, cooking, law classes, Founding Fathers/documents of the USA, wilderness skills, orienteering, PE, Drama/Arts, etc. On a given day out of the week, you meet at a Church or learning center. The kids take 2 to 3 classes, break for lunch and then play. At places like this, you make connections with families of similar interests.

Statement of Faith (Co-op):

A statement of faith and/or a contract is a good piece of paper to have moms/dads sign. It may be needed for legal issues and it excludes people not of faith or not of your vision. For Co-ops, you may also interview interested parties, face to face interviews. Kindly reject anyone that doesn’t seem like a good match.

Co-op cost/fees:

Keep in mind, there are some homeschooling Co-ops that will pay a small income to Moms for their labor of teaching a group of kids, but the cost to enter those Co-ops will not be nominal. At these type of Co-ops, you’ll find a Mom instructor that can “more likely / actually” teach English composition, Chemistry, Physics or Algebras. There are some tutors that will not impress you, however, for the most part they are talented.

Outside groups:

Wilderness groups are starting to become a big thing. These happen to be groups that meet once a month to hike, explore, visit a historic/wildlife center and generally have fun. Also, these outside groups may take on a different theme such as sports or crafts. Sign legal waivers of risk regularly to protect everyone.

Background checks:

If you start a Co-op feel free to run background checks on members of your Co-op group, leaders, if you want an extra measure of assurance that you are surrounded by good people.

Your part:

If any of the aforementioned Homeschooling infrastructure is lacking in your area, then boldly take the initiative to create something. Start a group and you’ll see that “wait-lists” will be generated. People want groups and resources but rarely is someone brave enough to lead and organize. Again, if you create something very formal you can include higher costs; otherwise make something free or with a small price and yet you’ll have attendees.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There is probably something that I haven’t covered but that should give you insight.

John 3:16

Last edited:
I had a combination of private, public, and homeschooling. Being homeschooled as a teen was a horrible experience. I was cut off from any normalcy in my life (having friends, relationships, normal social interactions). Spending my childhood at home, with family, and working did not have anything but negative effects on me.

Mike_Key

Robin
My Summary / Datasheet Part 2:

Homeschooling

Ideas:

I simply would like to share some ideas that you will or may experience if you homeschool. For the most part, you'll find that parents in the community are invested and will make the time/dates/efforts. I find that if you are a member of a cheap Co-op then parents may not value the group so much. This arrangement will include a shorter semester, less time consuming Co-op of say 8 to 10 weeks. In this scenario, you'll find a few families taking vacation mid-semester while they should be helping at said Co-op. If you spend a couple thousand, $2,000, on a Co-op and supplement Curriculum - then all parents will show tremendous efforts. Remember, Co-op is simply 1 day a week so the time commitment isn't tremendous but the benefits are great, such as making friends and having Parent tutors challenge your kids. Some Parent tutors will reveal things about your kid(s) that you may not identify yourself. These things could be color blindness, need for glasses, hypersensitivities, sensory processing issues, inadequate reading, etc.

Some parents don't want their kids diagnosed for affliction when it deals with mental health, such as a kid on the spectrum of this or that, so those parents homeschool their kid(s). This is not prevalent but it exists. I mention it because like in Public schools - an in-person Classroom at a homeschool Co-op or Zoom meeting can be affected by said kid. Should you run into this, I'd suggest that you identify it and work with the situation as best as possible. It's great for your kids to encounter others and learn of real life issues that people (other families) have outside of your home.

When you homeschool your kids, you become vulnerable. You are able to correct your kids, reprimand them sometimes harshly and apologize at a later time. Kids should hear their parents apologize to them, now and again. Kids should be among their parents, viewing their parent's interactions, learning their parent's vocabulary and hearing their parent's voice. Kid's laziness should be reprimanded at home by Mom/Dad; not ignored by a Teacher which can often happen in schools where the ratio of Kid/Teacher is unfair. These ideas are not to romanticize homeschooling; rather, they are to not rear/raise kids that will be banshees/nincompoops/hooligans. And hopefully the kid appreciates the education that should be great - that shouldn't be like Public schooling, which is sub-standard.

At Co-ops a team of volunteer Parents should be formed to create theme days, a solid Field Day where many sports/games are played and winners are selected. These type of activities go a long way. You might have a December party and/or a Spring picnic. Also, I've noticed that Co-ops can be a central point for swapping items - clothing, toy give-away, jackets, etc. It's very common to have successful productions of a Science fair, elaborate Theater and skits, end of semester Presentations of classes, an art show and, say, a Buy/Sell craft show. Each of these topics can have you delving deep into making something very memorable and worthy of everyone's time.

For Co-ops, you need volunteers. You may need to identify a person that can "cheerlead" volunteers and organize them literally with a clipboard, pen, paper and emails. The place where you hold Co-op (a Church, community learning center, etc.) will require set-up, break-down and clean up. Clean up is as significant as anything else, this likely will involve sweeping and/or vacuuming.

If you arrange your Co-op well, Moms will be able to have an hour among themselves to sit and talk in a common area. They should arrange snacks, drinks and coffee. Not all moms should be busy - start to finish which will lead to burnout. There should be a relaxing time between teaching extracurricular classes.

I've had these ideas on my mind for a few days - gathered from conversations with fellow homeschooling parents. And before they escape me, I thought I'd share. For what they are worth ...

Cheers

Last edited: