Homeschooling

The Beast1

Peacock
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Had to "court" but never was around women to learn how to interact with them beyond normal conversation (game, for lack of a better word). It didn't help things that my Dad was incapable of staying at a church for more than 6 months before getting sideways with the pastor so we bounced around a lot and never became part of a church community.
The sOcIaLiZaTiOn aspect of school is entirely a meme, moreso today than it was in the 00s when I was in school. Now they have mask mandates, active shooter drills with faux active shooters, and having the kids play dead. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02/effects-of-active-shooter/554150/?

How you approach relationships is 100% driven by observation of your parents' relationship. Most boomers have a naive take on relationships hence why so many of us found refuge in RvF1.0.

The thing is, Notabene is very correct. You don't need game to keep a good woman around. Key here is good. You need game to keep bad, non Christian women you're not entirely compatible with around.

Game in a healthy Christian context is much more innocent than many realize and you wouldn't have learned this school. It's playful and childlike. Watch how boys and girls 3-10 play with each other. Lots of playful teasing, laughing, all entirely non sexual.

I recall reading this somewhere. Men and women already know how to act and relate to one another in a healthy way. Puberty just confuses everything, making us anxious and weird.

Place yourself in the mindset of a child who hasn't learned what the stuff downstairs does and converse away. Be playful, lightly teasing with a smile, play actual games together, and keep everything entirely non sexual.

Girls themselves will start to get weird, "does he like me?" And will act squirrelly, trying to be around you, showing more enthusiasm, or outright admit their feelings. That's when you are free to escalate with a simple kiss and confirming your feelings back.

Remember, sex is for the sanctity of marriage. Dating isn't a multi year thing. If you keep sex out of it, by month 7-9 you will have a good idea of it is working out of not. By then you should propose and take 3 months to prepare for a wedding. If the engagement takes longer than 3 months or it seems rushed, then this might not be a good relationship.

Don't waste a girl's time when she could be looking for another Christian man. There's nothing I hate more than retard men who date women for 3 years and then act surprised when they leave. They left because the man was wasting her time!

Last edited:

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
A surprising amount of people really think throwing your children to the coming wave of LGBT/BIPOC, atheist, zoomer/millennial schoolteachers is better than teaching them yourselves and instilling in them Godly virtues. This is even after schools across the country have been turned into concentration camps for kids complete with inhumane mask wearing and social isolation. I refuse to take the opinions of these people seriously; the judgment of these people is completely out of whack.
It's not just that. Schools don't teach you life skills either.

Most graduates of our school system don't understand taxes, don't understand basic accounting which is the foundation of any business. They don't understand investing. They haven't developed a skill they can make good money from or start their own business around. They can't read a simple P&L statement. They can't change a tire. They can't grill a burger. I have a client whose 18 yr old daughter literally can't pick up the phone and order a pizza.

I do think there's social benefits to school. But aside from everything already discussed in this thread our school system does not prepare children for success in the real world.

Kids graduate and then ask, well what am I supposed to do now. That is the biggest indictment on our school system.

I actually think aside from the funding component, true success would be to have the complete skillset to start and run a business. Understand all the accounting, taxes, HR, legal, marketing, growth models, etc. I run a business and my expectation is by the time my son is 20 he is well schooled in all aspects of running the business. It really isn't that complicated but it is a skillset schools don't teach. They teach you how to be a follower, an employee, a slave to the system.

NotaBene

Pigeon
Protestant
Game in a healthy Christian context is much more innocent than many realize

That's true but requires innocence on the part of both parties to work, and a willingness to laugh at everything, including each other.

One of my latest working theories is that in a good, Christian marriage a husband is BOTH the alpha and beta to his wife. A good wife actively chooses to find fulfillment in her husband for both roles. She chooses to see his "manly" qualities while also appreciating his "provider" role and does not compare him to other men. Again, this requires innocence and loyalty.

When this theory works, it works great. I'm 130 pounds, not that physically imposing or good looking, and I make under the poverty level every year, but my wife has made a decision to give thanks for me, to be attracted to me, to obey me, see the good qualities I have, to appreciate what I do for the family. Therefore *to her* I really am the alpha man and the beta bux in our home.

Dating isn't a multi year thing. If you keep sex out of it, by month 7-9 you will have a good idea of it is working out of not.

Also agree, we dated four years before marriage, it was really hard. I don't recommend it. Figure out if you're getting married, don't stick around because you feel bad or for the ego trip she gives you. Move on quickly.

Our very traditional church does this old-school courtship, no alone time and nothing physical before marriage, and the father/mentor of the girl is heavily involved. I like this model. Sending teens into a dark corner so THEY can decide if they are "compatible" is just asking for trouble.

Don't waste a girl's time when she could be looking for another Christian man.

I'd say don't waste YOUR time as a man. The Bible says if you "burn with passion" you should marry, not date for a decade while "preparing" for marriage by getting "established" in a career or whatever. I married at 20, wish it had been earlier.

I run a business and my expectation is by the time my son is 20 he is well schooled in all aspects of running the business. It really isn't that complicated but it is a skillset schools don't teach.

This is wise, and really easy to do when you homeschool. Your son is your apprentice, like the old days. For my daughter, the skillset is finding a man like your son and being a good homemaker, wife, and mother for him.

Graft

Kingfisher
Protestant
Gold Member
...so were you homeschooled? The first 2 sentences of your final paragraph imply that you weren't, and the final one implies that you were.
I was not homeschooled, but I can relate.

My parents were type-A narcissists whose sole focus was the "quality of learning", social class of the students, and feeder schools to the Ivy League. I went to seven different schools from K-12, completely destabilizing my life, making sure I had no long term childhood friendships, and effectively robbing me of a childhood.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
In the USA parents should be able to get a check for the full amount that each child would give to the public schools.

Then they could teach their children and stay at home - or give it to a private school - or give it to the public school if that is where they want their child educated.

Right now there isnt a market in education - the government takes your money with a gun to your head - then by law your child must go to the government school or else pay again to go to a private school/homeschool.

Its 10k USD per student. If you have 3 kids you can stay home and get paid 30k a year to teach your own kids. Then get some kind of stay at home part time job, make a livable wage, teaching your own kids.

This is the law that needs to be passed.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
I was not homeschooled, but I can relate.

My parents were type-A narcissists whose sole focus was the "quality of learning", social class of the students, and feeder schools to the Ivy League. I went to seven different schools from K-12, completely destabilizing my life, making sure I had no long term childhood friendships, and effectively robbing me of a childhood.

Agree that that's not healthy--my dad was an Air Force brat and had a similar upbringing moving every 2-3 years or so--but that has nothing to do with homeschooling. Plenty of homeschooled kids have opportunities to socialize with other kids through sports, after school activities, sometimes even "homeschooling" itself when done as part of a group (in some parts of the country homeschooled kids are even allowed to play on the local public school's sports teams--Tim Tebow did this as a kid). Obviously this is easier to do if you live in a reddish-purple suburb vs somewhere in Montana with the nearest neighbors 15 miles away, but the leftist/statist stereotype of homeschooling families as antisocial weirdos isn't necessarily accurate especially now that homeschooling is gaining in popularity.

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
I think homeschooling is the dumbest thing a parent can do.

I believe that these "liberal public schools are brainwashing my kids" crowds are grossly overestimating the effect that some teacher has on a young child's mind. Most grade schoolers are worried about spitballs and passing "I like you, like you" notes. By time middle school and high school comes around, people care about being popular, playing sports, prom dates, etc.

When you homeschool your child, you rob them of irreplaceable life experiences: HS sports, theatre clubs, proms, parties, lifelong friends. All for what. Fear that your 15 year old actually takes their teacher's worldview seriously?

I hardly remember my teachers 15 years later. I certainly never cared about or analyzed their worldview. But I was incredibly bitter that I didn't have a normal school experience.
Delete

Wow, you are something else. Enjoy your life.

Cheers

John 3:16